Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Purpleguy View Post
    I'm sorry, but if a columnist accused me of wanting to run an HOFer out of town, when as Byrne stated, there was a friendship there, then I would want to clear the record myself and stand up for that friendship. I don't think anyone would find that to not be classy.
    A head coach who bothers to respond to every bullshit story from the likes of Preston would spend most of his time doing so.

If only Harbs could have someone on his staff to serve precisely that function....
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

Re: Kevin Byrne slams Mike Preston over his Reed comments

Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    A head coach who bothers to respond to every bullshit story from the likes of Preston would spend most of his time doing so.

If only Harbs could have someone on his staff to serve precisely that function....
    Well he should have Byrne do his post game and weekly press conferences as well. There are certainly issues that are far more trivial brought up in those pressers.

If he wasn't contractually obligated by the nfl to do those press conferences, I have no doubt he would have Byrne or someone similar do them.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

Not a fan of Byrnes column. He is a PR guy. He doesn't expound on Harbaugh's real feelings besdies just denying Preston's angle, and for a reason. Preston is on to something.

Quote Originally Posted by FadeToBlack View Post
    Not a fan of Byrnes column. He is a PR guy. He doesn't expound on Harbaugh's real feelings besdies just denying Preston's angle, and for a reason. Preston is on to something.
    So you can prove that?

Byrnes wasn't speaking for John; he was speaking for himself.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

Blog Entries

Byrne said that the Ravens wanted Reed back but just couldn't compete with Houston's offer. Why wouldn't anybody believe that? There is an undercurrent of vitriolic feelings towards Ed Reed from a segment of the fanbase this is just absolutely mind boggling. First ballot HOF, arguably the greatest ballhawking FS of alltime, and a great philanthropist in the city of Baltimore and beyond. people are f'ing crazy!

There is a similar animosity towards Harbaugh from a different segment of fans. The idea that Ozzie simply decided not to outbid Houston for Reed is too simple for them, it must be a nefarious scheme on Harbaugh's part to be rid of Ed for personal reasons.

To quote HoustonRaven, "Ponderous."

People read the Byrne report?

Quote Originally Posted by Purpleguy View Post
    I'm sorry, but if a columnist accused me of wanting to run an HOFer out of town, when as Byrne stated, there was a friendship there, then I would want to clear the record myself and stand up for that friendship. I don't think anyone would find that to not be classy.
    Then I am very thankful you're not the head coach of our beloved football team.

And this once again shows how thin skinned many Ravens fans are.

Byrne's job is to speak on behalf of the team. And he did so in a classy, respectful manner. I'd expect nothing less from an organization that's known for class.

Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    There is a similar animosity towards Harbaugh from a different segment of fans. The idea that Ozzie simply decided not to outbid Houston for Reed is too simple for them, it must be a nefarious scheme on Harbaugh's part to be rid of Ed for personal reasons.

To quote HoustonRaven, "Ponderous."
    Royalty check is in the mail, right?

Blog Entries

The reality is that we are all going off of opinion and none of us can really prove much of anything, because the Ravens sure as heck wouldn't say this sort of thing is true even if it were.

As for what the Ravens offered, we 'believe' the Ravens were offering Reed 3 million per year, do we have any confirmation for that?

The way Ray was dealt with was being given an offer before he entered FA. The team told him to go out there and see what he could find and that if he could not find anything, he could come back to that offer. We don't know if Ed was handled the same way.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Quote Originally Posted by highwater View Post
    [

I haven't read Preston for years, because he's terrible, but as I recall he became a columinst a long time ago, so he can write (badly) about anything, not just the Ravens.
    Beat writer, columnist, they both write opinions. IMO Byrne took offense because Preston stated the Reed story as fact, not opinion. However, Preston does this all the time. He make these rediculas comments as though he got it straight from the horses mouth. I promise you when Ed realizes the origin of the story he will know this was just another of Preston's attempts to drum up a story that really isn't there.
    "I don't know a man on this Earth who can outwork me". Ray Lewis