Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Kevin Byrne slams Mike Preston over his Reed comments

Good for him!

Yes, Preston is paid for his opinon but the line he mentioned was not being passed off as opinon.

And simply saying that the story made headlines on PFT is a far cry from "calling them out". He was illustrating that the story made it nationally, that's all.

Blog Entries

Mike Preston knew what he was doing and I am not a fan of Mike Preston's work. However, it would not surprise me in the least that the Ravens were not assertive in their attempt to re-sign Reed, if there was even an attempt. Now, what Preston implies is that it was due to Reed's mouth in the locker room. It would not surprise me if there was some truth to that. The idea that Harbaugh tried to make the best of certain situations, does not equate to Harbaugh wanting to have to do that in the first place.

However, we'd heard before the end of the season that the organization was prepared to make the 'decisions' for Ray and Ed. Their physical skills were clearly declining.

I can see a situation where Harbaugh was not thrilled with the way Reed dealt with him behind the scenes, and was willing to cut bait, because Reed's body was no longer allowing him to make up for it on the field.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    Mike Preston knew what he was doing and I am not a fan of Mike Preston's work. However, it would not surprise me in the least that the Ravens were not assertive in their attempt to re-sign Reed, if there was even an attempt. Now, what Preston implies is that it was due to Reed's mouth in the locker room. It would not surprise me if there was some truth to that. The idea that Harbaugh tried to make the best of certain situations, does not equate to Harbaugh wanting to have to do that in the first place.

However, we'd heard before the end of the season that the organization was prepared to make the 'decisions' for Ray and Ed. Their physical skills were clearly declining.

I can see a situation where Harbaugh was not thrilled with the way Reed dealt with him behind the scenes, and was willing to cut bait, because Reed's body was no longer allowing him to make up for it on the field.
    you can see that because that was the opinion you had formulated toward the end of the season and it is what you stated when asked about the subject. You can see it because it's what you want to see. The fact is the Ravens wanted Ed back at a good number and Houston overpaid him immensely.

As far as Byrne calling Preston out good. I'm glad. I love the chance to quote myself so here goes.

Quote Originally Posted by HKusp View Post
    Guys like Preston and Florio who are "opinion" writers, rumor mongers or columnists are OK if that's all they do. The problem occurs when places like The Sporting News, hire guys like Preston to be their reporter for the team. Mike Preston was/is that guy for the Sporting news so he goes from being an opinion guy, to being the guy who is supposedly representing the truth and the line gets blurred and that becomes a problem.
    He basically said he same thing Isaid. When these guys post opinion, it tends to get picked up in the national media as fact and it isn't.

Once they found out that houston was willing to bid high, I doubt they made an offer or they would have insulted Ed. Same process as whe Ray flirted with Dallas except we matched or came close. Chubby doesn't seem to b e writing this kind of stuff anbout Kruger or anyone else because nobody gives a shit.

Any jounalist worth a shit, and some that aren't, that has written for the sub in the past 20 years has gone on to a better paper or a notional job. Preston is a glaring exception and you can bet it al that wilson will move on way before mikey.

Blog Entries

Byrne is just following orders and Mikie is loving it. He struck a nerve. Ravens would have been better off remaining silent and not given Mikie the satisfaction of countering him. They're selling tons of papers for him-lol.

I would think that if Harbaugh was so concerned that Mikey's comments could give Reed the wrong impression, he would make an effort to personally address it and call bullshit on the matter. It seems a little disenguinious to have the team PR guy do it. Nobody takes a PR guy seriously.

[QUOTE=HotInHere;614435]
    He is paid to be a journalist.
    QUOTE]

Well, yes and no. Preston is a beat writer, which menas his job is to cover the ravens only. Year around, and give opinions. Which means that inevitably there will be people who disagree. He is not bouind to say all things good about the local team, regardless of how much they might suck.

I don't agree with everything he writes, but I understand why he gets paid.
    "I don't know a man on this Earth who can outwork me". Ray Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Purpleguy View Post
    I would think that if Harbaugh was so concerned that Mikey's comments could give Reed the wrong impression, he would make an effort to personally address it and call bullshit on the matter. It seems a little disenguinious to have the team PR guy do it. Nobody takes a PR guy seriously.
    Except that's exactly the function of a PR guy.

No way the team would allow Harbs to speak on the matter. And I'm pretty confident Harbs is classy enough to not do it on his own anyway.

Blog Entries

Byrne is a PR guy, what do you expect him to say? Sorry but I don't believe anything Byrne writes/says when it comes to stuff like this. NOT saying I believe Preston either, but Byrne and the team wouldn't say it was true even if it was.
    back on twitter

"Well that was an appropriate last ride for Pees. A Bengals WR streaking in for a game winning touchdown in the closing minutes is the man’s preferred medium to express his art." - GreenWave52

[
    Quote Originally Posted by HotInHere View Post
    He is paid to be a journalist.
    QUOTE]

Well, yes and no. Preston is a beat writer, which menas his job is to cover the ravens only. .
    I haven't read Preston for years, because he's terrible, but as I recall he became a columinst a long time ago, so he can write (badly) about anything, not just the Ravens.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Except that's exactly the function of a PR guy.

No way the team would allow Harbs to speak on the matter. And I'm pretty confident Harbs is classy enough to not do it on his own anyway.
    I'm sorry, but if a columnist accused me of wanting to run an HOFer out of town, when as Byrne stated, there was a friendship there, then I would want to clear the record myself and stand up for that friendship. I don't think anyone would find that to not be classy.

Quote Originally Posted by Purpleguy View Post
    I'm sorry, but if a columnist accused me of wanting to run an HOFer out of town, when as Byrne stated, there was a friendship there, then I would want to clear the record myself and stand up for that friendship. I don't think anyone would find that to not be classy.
    You might also chose to pick up the phone and call Ed yourself and tell him what load of bs it is rather than airing it out in the media.

Guys like Preston thrive on hearing their name attached to every story that comes after the initial one. Why give him what he wants if your Harbs

Mike got what he wanted, Ed has been here long enough to know what Preston is all about, Harbaugh/Ravens I am sure addressed this before the ink was dry on his Texans deal.
    “A linebacker's job is to knock out running backs, to knock out receivers, to chase the football,”
    -Ray Lewis