Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: 4 Gay Players Might Come Out

Quote Originally Posted by iggyman555 View Post
    u think his marriage is fake? i know a guy whos been together with a girl for 5 years even proposed and then one day came out
    It's certainly possible, but going off of him being a huge advocate for GLB rights and meaning that there's a good chance he's gay, that's like saying I'm a huge advocate for Muslim tolerance, so I must be a Muslim.

I am a HUGE advocate for GLB rights as well, and I can say with 100% honesty, I am a white, straight, American male with a wife, 2 kids, and no interest in men sexually. If Brendon was truly gay, I would think he would be the first one to step out and make it known, but given his love for his kids and wife, I'd tend to believe it's genuine that he's straight or bisexual.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Cactus View Post
    I'm not assuming all prejudice people who are capable of change will react the same way to a certain stimulus. I'm just saying that a more extreme stimulus is likely to change more of them.
    Maybe, maybe not. For the past 15 years, I have been in the business of persuading people and I can say from my experience (not that it's the final say) that is not what would be the likely outcome.

Agreed, but I believe you can effect the rate of change.
    Absolutely you can. But do you do that by pushing something on people or pulling them to it?

I get your point, but I just disagree. I think a more drastic showing of people coming out and being supported by others will change more minds more quickly. As you noted above, we're reaching a tipping point with this as a nation. People are taking notice and joining in. If anything that validates what I've said here. People who were asleep in their prejudices or ignorant of the prejudices of other are now being jolted into action, causing change to happen more rapidly.
    I agree with you in part. I think the people who are ignorant of the prejudices of other people may be woken up about other people's prejudice, so it may help them join in. But again, the people who are prejudice are the ones you need to reach. And that is why I am saying this is not the way to reach them, that's really all I am talking about.

Here's the thing. If a gay player simply acts the same as any straight player (ie Appears in public with his spouse or partner) they are by definition "coming out." There's nothing splashy or in your face about it except in the fact that they're defying an established norm.

Was Harbaugh coming out as straight when he kissed his wife after hoisting the Lombardi? No. But a gay man would have been.

Coming out is nothing more than acting the same way straight people get to.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    Here's the thing. If a gay player simply acts the same as any straight player (ie Appears in public with his spouse or partner) they are by definition "coming out." There's nothing splashy or in your face about it except in the fact that they're defying an established norm.

Was Harbaugh coming out as straight when he kissed his wife after hoisting the Lombardi? No. But a gay man would have been.

Coming out is nothing more than acting the same way straight people get to.
    EEEEeeeeexactly!

And straight people don't have press conferences to announce they're straight...

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    EEEEeeeeexactly!

And straight people don't have press conferences to announce they're straight...
    You missed my point. Straight people don't HAVE to do anything like that because we live in a heteronormative society. These press conferences and choreographed coming outs are a response to our expectation as a society that people are straight. Or did I miss the thread calling it gross and rubbing it in your face when Harbs kissed his wife?
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

Blog Entries

You missed my point. Straight people don't HAVE to do anything like that because we live in a heteronormative society. These press conferences and choreographed coming outs are a response to our expectation as a society that people are straight. Or did I miss the thread calling it gross and rubbing it in your face when Harbs kissed his wife?
    I guess I missed the part where I said that too.

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    I guess I missed the part where I said that too.
    I didn't say you did. But I am paraphrasing people in this very thread who did.

Blog Entries

I didn't say you did. But I am paraphrasing people in this very thread who did.
    You said "your face" . My bad, I can be too literal some times.

Blog Entries

Another facet to this, and related to what spambot was saying, is that by coming out in this way the players agree controlling the story which is important in this matter. Just going out and 'being gay' would result in tabloid sensationalist reporting if such a story, pictures and eyewitness accounts and all. This way the people in question get to set the stage themselves and have the opportunity to answer questions and really get across the point that it's nothing to be ashamed of. It sets the tone. Especially when you know the media would treat it in a certain way.

Someone doesn't come out as gay to their parents by bringing a man home, because it wouldn't give them the opportunity to take it in the news and ask what they need to ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenalytics View Post

If FOOTBALL PLAYERS, the manliest, toughest men possible, come out and say it's ok to be gay, that it's ok to be different - it's just in general a great positive step towards creating a general culture of acceptance, rather than one of exclusivity and terrorized conformity.
    I just think of Omar from the Wire. So scary. So feared. So Gay. He just changed the image.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenalytics View Post
    I hope they come out. The repercussions of this extend far beyond just the gay community. How many kids are beaten up on the playground and called, "faggot" while it's happening? I remember in middle school we used to have a game called "Smear the Queer" where basically we singled out one kid who was "different" and all tried to tackle/chase him around.

If FOOTBALL PLAYERS, the manliest, toughest men possible, come out and say it's ok to be gay, that it's ok to be different - it's just in general a great positive step towards creating a general culture of acceptance, rather than one of exclusivity and terrorized conformity.
    So if a football player comes out and says it's okay to be different, then it's okay to be different?

How about just being yourself and to hell with what other people think? Sure there are folks who hate others because of their choice between taco and sausage. There are folks who hate others because of the color of their skin. Everybody hates someone else, it's the way of the world.

The folks I hate, along with Squeeler fans and liberals, are those who demand I accept them. I don't have to accept or like you. It's my choice. There are laws in place that say I can't discriminate against you for any reason, so it's not like my feelings are having any effect on your life.

I take great pride in being myself. I was literally the only football player at our college who majored in English. Get into those upper level courses, and I was usually the only Christian and Republican in there as well. Guys on the team made fun of me because I read poetry. My classmates (at first) thought I was just a big dumb jock. I didn't care then and I care even less now.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

Blog Entries

On a more general note, I find it strange the amount of people that are against gay players coming out citing things like 'I don't care who they sleep with'.... Well just ignore it then. It doesn't impact your life any. Don't click the links, turn the TV or page over.