Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    It's the 21rst century version of our parent's and grandparent's old saw about "I have nothing against negroes, I just don't see why they need to make such a fuss about where people can sit on a bus."
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

Actually, the more I compare the two, the more apt the comparison to the civil rights movement becomes.

Sure, blacks should have been able to simply walk up to a lunch counter or voting booth, but without the orchestrated actions of the civil rights leaders and their fellows, does anyone here seriously wan to suggest they would have succeeded?

Before it became acceptable, they had to fight in the court of public opinion and in the Courts of Law to make serious and permanent change. And we as a country are better for their struggle. Even though there are racist bigots today who they haven't yet reached.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

Blog Entries

Re: 4 Gay Players Might Come Out

Well obviously, it's just wanting to keep the people in the LGBT community in their place. It's at best a lack of empathy and not appreciating the privilege of being straight in a heteronormative society, and at worst passive homophobia. I had an exchange on twitter with someone who was basically saying 'we don't need to know who they sleep with' and after a while their argument boiled down to 'well I have no problems being straight, why should they have problems just being gay' which is an incredibly blinkered view that comes from having not faced those challenges.

I think ASB is spot on with the comparisons.

I know my own experience is very similar to many during the racially charged 50's and 60's. I was the biggest homophobe I knew. Looking back, it was because I simply didn't know any gay people, or so I thought, and I was afraid of the unknown.

Then, around 2004, I learned one of my best male friends was gay. Shortly there after, I moved away from Baltimore to San Francisco for a year. You can't help but interact with the gay community there. Once I learned more and more, it became clear how silly I was being.

This issue strengthened my stances toward libertarianism even further.

Its going to be tough for gay players to be accepted in the NFL though.

If there's any type of special announcement, I can promise you what the reaction will be; 90 percent of the population (like myself) are going to say, "So?" 5 percent are going to grab pitchforks and start acting like asses. The other 5 percent are gonna say, "Well we're obviously the only group in the history of forever that's been picked on", and start acting like asses. After that starts, dipshit group A will swear the 90 percent who don't care are heathens and trying to destroy America. Dipshit group B will swear the 90 percent who don't care are insensitive pricks.

So I guess after this happens, I'll be a heathenish, insensitive prick out to destroy America. Darned good thing it's only the gays who are ever insulted or my feelings might get hurt.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    Actually, the more I compare the two, the more apt the comparison to the civil rights movement becomes.

Sure, blacks should have been able to simply walk up to a lunch counter or voting booth, but without the orchestrated actions of the civil rights leaders and their fellows, does anyone here seriously wan to suggest they would have succeeded?

Before it became acceptable, they had to fight in the court of public opinion and in the Courts of Law to make serious and permanent change. And we as a country are better for their struggle. Even though there are racist bigots today who they haven't yet reached.
    Great point and a very valid analogy.
    I've given this issue honest consideration over the years and have changed quite a bit.

I was just mulling this over the other day after thinking about how tired I was of the incessant new coverage. I realized though, constant newsworthy events are what has to happen if a change is going to come. This issue has to run its course. The only way to make an impacting change is through a cultural paradigm shift. The only way to make a cultural paradigm shift is by constantly pressing the issue to force people to think about and acknowledge that there is an existential issue.
    “Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.”

–Eleanor Roosevelt

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NC Raven View Post

You're on. $50,000.00 says he's married with kids. I will send you a link to my paypal account.
    So, no gay guys have ever married a woman and had kids?

Sent from my DROID X2 using Forum Runner
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by shine View Post

I just think of Omar from the Wire. So scary. So feared. So Gay. He just changed the image.
    Oh, indeed.

I love The Wire. One of my favorite shows.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Forum Runner
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

I wonder if people make those same assumptions about Chris Kluwe and Scott Fujita.

Don't usually watch Jon Stewart, but I happened to catch this and got a kick out of it. Pretty clever.

Starting at 3:40

http://videocafe.crooksandliars.com/...how-swing-hill
    “Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.”

–Eleanor Roosevelt

So now gay people are attacked with water hoses, lynched, have ferocious dogs set on them, and banned from eating in certain restaurants?

That maybe the single biggest piece of bullshit I've ever read on here, and I remember Galin.

The only argument gay people have is the right to marry, and I promise that one would go away if they'd just compromise and argue for Civil Unions.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

Quote Originally Posted by darb72 View Post
    So now gay people are attacked with water hoses, lynched, have ferocious dogs set on them, and banned from eating in certain restaurants?

That maybe the single biggest piece of bullshit I've ever read on here, and I remember Galin.

The only argument gay people have is the right to marry, and I promise that one would go away if they'd just compromise and argue for Civil Unions.
    I guess you're unfamiliar with the dozens of anti gay hate crimes that get reported every month across the country including a couple of lynchings. (Matthew Shepard for example.) Or the epidemic of suicides (Google the Trevor Project) caused in no small part by the shame of bullying and the pain of being forced to live a lie to avoid said hate crimes.

And hey, those no one was stopping those negroes from drinking in water fountains or sitting on buses either, they just had to know their place.