Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
Results 73 to 79 of 79
  1. #73

    Re: 4 Gay Players Might Come Out



    Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    Here's a sick fact for people minimizing the impact of anti gay attitudes that are strongly prevalent in this country (especially in the Bible Belt, despite darb's unawareness of it).

    The Suicide Prevention Resource Center estimated that between 30 and 40% of LGBT youth, depending on age and sex groups, have attempted suicide.

    Between 30 and 40 fucking percent.

    Further, studies have indicated that suicide, drug abuse, and depression all show statistical upticks in areas that pass laws against the rights of homosexuals such as Constitutional Amendments banning gay marriage.

    Imagine the kind of pressure that these kids are under to drive numbers like that.
    I'm tickled you think I'm "unaware" of anything.

    Let's play a little game I like to call "liar or ignorant". I'm going to take your "facts" and we'll decide if you're a liar, or just ignorant.

    -You say that anti-gay attitudes are virulent, particularly in the Bible Belt. Since you've stated this opinion as fact, you're going to have to prove it, or you're a liar.

    -You say that between 30 and 40 percent of gay teens have attempted suicide. Haloti destroyed this one, so we'll go with ignorant.

    -You say that studies have shown an uptick in suicides in places that pass anti-marriage laws. Show them to us, or you're a liar.


    ASB, you're young and full of righteous indignation because of how some folks are treated. That's admirable. It's also makes you incredibly short sighted. There are two sides to every argument and as you grow older, you'll develop the ability to see another person's point of view. Yeah, gay folks are targeted because they're different. Same goes for overweight kids, smart kids, dumb kids, etc... It's a sad fact of humanity that we don't like things that are different.

    But while it's true that gay folks shouldn't be treated like crap because of they're gay, they shouldn't expect special treatment either.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, Hi Im Ben may I have a drink please?
    ProFootballMock




  2. #74
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Baltimore
    Posts
    1,205

    Re: 4 Gay Players Might Come Out

    Quote Originally Posted by darb72 View Post
    But while it's true that gay folks shouldn't be treated like crap because of they're gay, they shouldn't expect special treatment either.
    Who in this thread is saying they deserve special treatment?




  3. #75

    Re: 4 Gay Players Might Come Out

    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Cactus View Post
    Who in this thread is saying they deserve special treatment?
    Well, I could argue that Spammy thinks we should treat them different because they're gay. But nobody has overtly come out and said that.

    My point was that some gay folks do demand special treatment, and when people do that it pisses folks off, even those that have no particular dislike for the gay community. No, I'm not talking about the marriage issue.

    The example I was thinking of when I said special treatment is a law proposed in California (of course) that says gay couples who have had sex for a year and can't get pregnant are to be covered by their insurance for infertility treatments. That means that if a lesbian couple has sex together without becoming pregnant for one year, then they can claim infertility and insurance will have to pay for artificial insemination. That isn't the gay community being discriminated against. That's simple biology.

    There are other, incredibly stupid, laws in California. School districts are allowed to take a student off campus for counseling without parental permission, if that student identifies themselves as gay. Unless it's an emergency, no school officials should take a student off campus.

    The major problem here is, if I say I'm against gay couples getting infertility treatments, then I'll be accused of hating gays. If I don't want kids taken off campus without parental permission, then I'm insensitive.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, Hi Im Ben may I have a drink please?
    ProFootballMock




  4. #76
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    23,248
    The entitlement mentality is hardly confined to any one group, gays included.

    Every segment of society has a small contingent with their hand out or with a "look at me" attitude.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  5. #77

    Re: 4 Gay Players Might Come Out

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    The entitlement mentality is hardly confined to any one group, gays included.

    Every segment of society has a small contingent with their hand out or with a "look at me" attitude.
    I'm well aware of this. I'm a big guy, 6'2 and around 320 pounds so I find it annoying when other fat-asses complain about seats not being big enough on planes or in theaters. Don't like it, lose weight.

    It's the small segment of a population that pisses people off. The preacher from Kentucky and Kirk Cameron make it seem like all Christians hate gays. That's simply not true. Even the majority of Christians don't hate gays. Spammy is gonna say something about the marriage issue, so I'll go ahead and respond. There are gay people who don't believe in same sex marriage.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, Hi Im Ben may I have a drink please?
    ProFootballMock




  6. #78

    Re: 4 Gay Players Might Come Out

    going back to why a gay player has to have a press conference rather just live their life and not let it become a story... insert kerry rhodes (no pun intended).

    Apparently he was on vacation and had some photos taken with another guy and immediately speculation was he was gay and the media ran with it. Hes since said he supports gay players coming out but is not one himself. This is the problem with saying things are equal and they should just live and let it be. even if youre not gay the media is going to make it something, let alone if you actually are.
    -JAB




  7. #79

    Re: 4 Gay Players Might Come Out

    Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    going back to why a gay player has to have a press conference rather just live their life and not let it become a story... insert kerry rhodes (no pun intended).

    Apparently he was on vacation and had some photos taken with another guy and immediately speculation was he was gay and the media ran with it. Hes since said he supports gay players coming out but is not one himself. This is the problem with saying things are equal and they should just live and let it be. even if youre not gay the media is going to make it something, let alone if you actually are.
    That's the problem with media, as sports fans know. No way to sell papers/hits unless there's some huge story no matter if it's true or not. So the media blows a story way out of proportion and fans are left saying, "I don't care who he's boinking. I just want to know if he'll help us win another Super Bowl."
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, Hi Im Ben may I have a drink please?
    ProFootballMock




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland