Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Cody Played at 325 Last Season

Wow. I knew he shed some weight but 325? That's small for a 3-4 NT. That might help explain his struggles against the run, but I still contend he was never as strong in the lower body as he needs to be. Strength and conditioning coaches, where were they? And how could this happen on their watch?

Re: Cody Played at 325 Last Season

Don't think he was as strong in the large body as he needed to be.

Blog Entries

I understand why he wanted to shed the weight (stamina, etc). However, if he is going to play at 325-33 then he needs to be like Ngata and just fucking strong as hell.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

His weight wasn't the problem. Plenty of NTs are in the 315-330 range. His problem was technique, functional strength, and conditioning. Off the snap he would routinely just stand up and stick his arms out, allowing the center to immediately get under his pads and control him.

Go back and watch the Houston game. Chris Myers (285lbs) was owning Cody all day long despite giving up 40lbs. Not a weight issue and Cody slopping back on 20lbs of fat isn't going to help his game. He needs to hit the weight room very, very hard and fix his technical flaws. That won't happen, though... Cody's been the same player since college and you can't coach guys out of tendencies like that.

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    His weight wasn't the problem. Plenty of NTs are in the 315-330 range. His problem was technique, functional strength, and conditioning. Off the snap he would routinely just stand up and stick his arms out, allowing the center to immediately get under his pads and control him.

Go back and watch the Houston game. Chris Myers (285lbs) was owning Cody all day long despite giving up 40lbs. Not a weight issue and Cody slopping back on 20lbs of fat isn't going to help his game. He needs to hit the weight room very, very hard and fix his technical flaws. That won't happen, though... Cody's been the same player since college and you can't coach guys out of tendencies like that.
    Bingo, the one play where Myers got a hold of him and rode him 15 yards downfield is still etched in my brain.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post

You could also look at the SB, there was one play I saw him get pushed nearly 5 yards downfield.

If anybody here watches MMA or UFC, do you remember after Frank Mir lost to Brock Lesnar he went and trained with a Worlds Strongest man contestant and came back for his next fight JACKED! I'd recommend Cody try that too.

Just by looking at Cody with his man-boobs and flabby appearance, you can tell he isn't the best conditioned athlete on the field. For example, compare his physique to Haloti's. They're both 6'4 and are both listed at or around 340lbs. I don't know Cody personally nor do I know his eating and workout habits, however I think it's fairly obvious the guy isn't as conditioned as well as other Defensive Linemen on the field, notably Ngata.

Quote Originally Posted by Terpsfan82 View Post
    Wow. I knew he shed some weight but 325? That's small for a 3-4 NT. That might help explain his struggles against the run, but I still contend he was never as strong in the lower body as he needs to be. Strength and conditioning coaches, where were they? And how could this happen on their watch?
    I dunno how you can blame the coaches for one player not being strong enough. The other players all seemed to do okay in the weight room. Seems to me the buck stops with Mr. Cody on this one.
    Never get in a fight with a pig; you both get muddy, and the pig likes it...

Blog Entries

It's all about leverage; he needs to improve technique like some of the posts above say. Hoping this is a breakout year for him but I bet they bring in competition

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    If anybody here watches MMA or UFC, do you remember after Frank Mir lost to Brock Lesnar he went and trained with a Worlds Strongest man contestant and came back for his next fight JACKED! I'd recommend Cody try that too.
    How'd that work out for him? ;)

This could explain how he went from a player on the rise to a disappointment. When he was heavier the weight benefited his poor technique by at least being that much more the OL had to push. Now that hes thinner its easier to exploit his bad form. At this point Im pretty sure the team is going to draft somebody they feel can be an upgrade.

Cody has at the very least over turned the thought that hed have issues with his weight. The guy works hard on the physical, he just needs to start focusing on the technical which maybe this year he will now that he has his weight under control.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

The player's physical appearance means nothing. Vince Wilfork and Casey Hampton were never going to win any Mr. Universe contests. Hampton wasn't even in good football shape the past couple of seasons and still was effective. Cody can't fix what's broken. He just doesn't have it. They'll get their final year out of him and then he'll try to find work elsewhere.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    How'd that work out for him? ;)
    He got bigger and stronger.

Problem was it couldn't over come Lesnar's life-long background in wrestling.