Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Atlanta building billion dollar restractable roof stadium.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/ey...ds-green-light

The Georgia Dome is 21 years old. It won't be too many years before M&T gets to that age and I don't see there being a movement to replace her any time soon. It seems insane to me that the life of these expensive buildings is so short. It also seems insane to me that anybody south of Minnesota needs a dome to play football in.

Blog Entries

Re: Atlanta building billion dollar restractable roof stadium.

God forbid a drop of rain falls on Matt Ryan. It might prevent him for another Super Bowl appearance... Bc

Blog Entries

I remember when that stadium opened. All they talked about was how fast it was going to make their team. Amazing how they got tax payers to agree to replace it. I guess because it's a hotel tax they think they are going to stick it to the convention crowd.

It was pretty hard for them to pass the purposal here in Atlanta, it kept going back and forth. The main thing that forced their hand was their fear of losing events like the final four to Jerry Jones stadium in a couple years if they did not upgrade.

The way the league is shifting emphasis away from defense and into the passing game, don't be shocked if M&T 2.0 has a roof as well.

Between the advantage of having a climate controlled perfect weather stadium for 8 games a year with the option to open it up for nice weather, Baltimore's only chance of hosting a Super Bowl hinges on being able to guarantee a comfortable environment for fans in February.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    The way the league is shifting emphasis away from defense and into the passing game, don't be shocked if M&T 2.0 has a roof as well.

Between the advantage of having a climate controlled perfect weather stadium for 8 games a year with the option to open it up for nice weather, Baltimore's only chance of hosting a Super Bowl hinges on being able to guarantee a comfortable environment for fans in February.
    Nobody wants to hear it and nobody wants to believe it, but watch in 10 years the Ravens start trying to gather support for a new stadium.

It's amazing how short of a life span these NFL stadiums have.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

I disagree about the anybody south of Minnesota comment, but agree that Atlanta's getting only 21 years from an adequate modern football-only stadium was absurd. Equally bad or even worse will be the billion dollar expenditure for a new or upgraded Rams stadium, which is 18 years old. And also the Hoosier Dome, which lasted 23 years before being replaced by the obstructed view seats in the new Irasy venue.

We came close to getting a domed stadium in the 1990s, but slick political maneuvering wound up getting us the inadequate stadium we now have as well as subsidizing the Raljon stadium. And don't think for a second that Bisciotti isn't watching every owners' moves in getting new stadiums via city/private money to replace their existing adequate football-only stadiums. There is so much TV money flowing in the latter part of the NFLPA ten year deal that every team may be able to build new stadiums on their own.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

The main reason that stadium was built was for the Atlanta Olympics. I could see how they may want a football specific stadium, but why after only 21 years?

I can see building domed stadiums for baseball (no rain delays or games postponed), but football is a foul weather game. Nobody remembers games played out doors in nice weather, it's the games played in bad weather we remember. Like that Bears game years ago when the fog rolled in and the cameras couldn't shoot to where the action was. Or the Patriots game (tuck rule) vs. the Raiders when Gruden tried to ice the kicker but only gave him more time to clear the area where the game winning FG was going to be kicked from. No more domed stadiums for football.
    Last edited by Strange Bru; 04-04-2013 at 04:14 PM.

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?!

Blog Entries
    Matty ice needs his perfect indoor environment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    They have tons of other events there like SEC games, NCAA tournament etc. wonder why the want a retractable roof though?

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

I drove my truck in the dome in Atlanta is 2001. It is a very sterile environment for football. Great venue for other things like NCAA tourney though.

Part of the problem is also these stadiums, M&T included, were not the most modern of facilities of their time.

Using public funds is a double edged sword -- it eliminates much (if not all) of the cost to the team, but it places the design into the hands of bureaucrats who will skimp on creature comforts to save a buck or two. Thus, they end up out dated much sooner.

Combine that with leaps in technology and it doesn't surprise me cities are looking for new stadia sooner then before.