Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Atlanta building billion dollar restractable roof stadium.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/ey...ds-green-light

The Georgia Dome is 21 years old. It won't be too many years before M&T gets to that age and I don't see there being a movement to replace her any time soon. It seems insane to me that the life of these expensive buildings is so short. It also seems insane to me that anybody south of Minnesota needs a dome to play football in.

Blog Entries

Re: Atlanta building billion dollar restractable roof stadium.

God forbid a drop of rain falls on Matt Ryan. It might prevent him for another Super Bowl appearance... Bc

It was pretty hard for them to pass the purposal here in Atlanta, it kept going back and forth. The main thing that forced their hand was their fear of losing events like the final four to Jerry Jones stadium in a couple years if they did not upgrade.

Blog Entries

I remember when that stadium opened. All they talked about was how fast it was going to make their team. Amazing how they got tax payers to agree to replace it. I guess because it's a hotel tax they think they are going to stick it to the convention crowd.

The way the league is shifting emphasis away from defense and into the passing game, don't be shocked if M&T 2.0 has a roof as well.

Between the advantage of having a climate controlled perfect weather stadium for 8 games a year with the option to open it up for nice weather, Baltimore's only chance of hosting a Super Bowl hinges on being able to guarantee a comfortable environment for fans in February.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    The way the league is shifting emphasis away from defense and into the passing game, don't be shocked if M&T 2.0 has a roof as well.

Between the advantage of having a climate controlled perfect weather stadium for 8 games a year with the option to open it up for nice weather, Baltimore's only chance of hosting a Super Bowl hinges on being able to guarantee a comfortable environment for fans in February.
    Nobody wants to hear it and nobody wants to believe it, but watch in 10 years the Ravens start trying to gather support for a new stadium.

It's amazing how short of a life span these NFL stadiums have.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

The main reason that stadium was built was for the Atlanta Olympics. I could see how they may want a football specific stadium, but why after only 21 years?

I can see building domed stadiums for baseball (no rain delays or games postponed), but football is a foul weather game. Nobody remembers games played out doors in nice weather, it's the games played in bad weather we remember. Like that Bears game years ago when the fog rolled in and the cameras couldn't shoot to where the action was. Or the Patriots game (tuck rule) vs. the Raiders when Gruden tried to ice the kicker but only gave him more time to clear the area where the game winning FG was going to be kicked from. No more domed stadiums for football.
    Last edited by Strange Bru; 04-04-2013 at 04:14 PM.

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?!

Quote Originally Posted by Strange Bru View Post
    The main reason that stadium was built was for the Atlanta Olympics. I could see how they may want a football specific stadium, but why after only 21 years?

I can see building domed stadiums for baseball (no rain delays or games postponed), but football is a foul weather game. Nobody remembers games played out doors in nice weather, it's the games played in bad weather we remember. Like that Bears game years ago when the fog rolled in and the cameras couldn't shoot to where the action was. Or the Patriots game (tuck rule) vs. the Raiders when Gruden tried to ice the kicker but only gave him more time to clear the area where the game winning FG was going to be kicked from. No more domed stadiums for football.
    +1. The league should set a limit on domed stadiums.

Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post

M&T 2.0?

Are you kidding me?

The jack asses running this state and city can't even figure out a way to replace that 10,000 - 15,000 seat relic sitting downtown in the center of the city much less building a billion dollar stadium to replace the one that is only 15 years old.
    Will Die A Ravens Fan!!

Quote Originally Posted by The Fanatic View Post
    M&T 2.0?

Are you kidding me?

The jack asses running this state and city can't even figure out a way to replace that 10,000 - 15,000 seat relic sitting downtown in the center of the city much less building a billion dollar stadium to replace the one that is only 15 years old.
    The Ravens are far more loved than those jack asses. And I don't think anyone is saying replace it now. But 5-10 years from now? It will be needed.

It would be political suicide for any politician who goes against the Ravens in 10 years time.

Well, in honor of Mista T, for the love of God let M&T 2.0 have escalators!
    "CARPE LOMBARDI"

Keep dreaming about escalators. The stadium design will never allow for them to be put INSIDE, and they would be a big eyesore on the outside.

There are current 5 and 10 year upgrade plans that will enhance game day at M&T, but don't expect a replacement in the next 20 years. Not gonna happen.