Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: McKinnie ?

Re: McKinnie ?

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenous1 View Post
    Pugh, Barrett Jones both would be nice adds. Both guys are versatile guys who give you dynamic depth. I also like Chris Faulk as a guy devalued due to injury but who has good upside.

I think that people want to overly romanticize the job McKinnie did in the playoffs, he was solid not great.

Taking that performance and assuming it can be extrapolated to a 16 game schedule plus the playoffs is no different than thinking Hussien Bolt can break the one mile record simply cause he can run a 100yd dash fast. One does not lead to the other.

McKinnie has done absolutely nothing to justify signing him at this point. There is an assumption that he was in Harbaugh's dog house and had he played LT last year we would have seen him play at the level he did in the playoffs. Its more likely he was in the dog house because he was in no shape to play till the last quarter of the season. I doubt the Ravens want to find themselves in that position again unless there are no other options. Its to early to be desperate. Even after the draft their are trade options that may open up
    :word on McKinnie

I'd love to get Barrett Jones in purple. If he was there in the 3rd, I'd cream my jeans. Guy can compete at any position on the line.

Lots of heat but an absence of light in this thread.

I think we can generally agree that Oher is not the answer at LT. And that KO is a LONG shot at best to be a solid LT. Who else is there on the team? Not Harewood or Jah Reid, right?

If not on the team, is there a solid and affordable LT among the FAs? Doesn't look like it. Are we likely to get a starting-ready LT in the draft? Not liklely. It might be that "next man up" at LT is "only man up." I don't want to depend on McKinnie. But I DO want to leave RT, RG, and LG as they are (and pray that GG can play at C).

Come on draftniks, are there any high-upside LTs likely to be available late in the 2nd round???

MAYBE Menelik Watson, but he will most likely go way before 62. Other than that we are looking at more RT prospects. We are just gonna have to face the facts that barring some unforeseen falling in the draft, McKinney is the best option available.

Quote Originally Posted by houstonravensfan View Post

I think we can generally agree that Oher is not the answer at LT. And that KO is a LONG shot at best to be a solid LT. Who else is there on the team? Not Harewood or Jah Reid, right?

If not on the team, is there a solid and affordable LT among the FAs? Doesn't look like it. Are we likely to get a starting-ready LT in the draft? Not liklely. It might be that "next man up" at LT is "only man up." I don't want to depend on McKinnie. But I DO want to leave RT, RG, and LG as they are (and pray that GG can play at C).

Come on draftniks, are there any high-upside LTs likely to be available late in the 2nd round???
    Roger Saffold of the Rams is "possibly" on the trade block, and would be a worthy LT, though he is on the final year of his rookei deal, and may not actually be on the trade block.

Chris Faulk of LSU and Brennan Williams of UNC are LT's with injury concerns that will drop them to the 3rd round range.

Terron Armstead and Menelik Watson are OT's with GREAT athleticism, and minimal experience.

Justin Pugh of Syracuse is a LT that may need to move inside due to Michael Oher/Sam Baker disease, i.e. short arms, but some liek I believe Mayock thinks he can play LT at the NFL level and would want him to prove he can't before moving him.

David Quessenberry of SDSU is a tackle that the Ravens have hown at least some interest in, and would be a mid round selection.

LUke Marquadt is a mountain of a man who played for Little ole Azusa State... has good athleticism and prototypical size.

That's about it.

What? Haven't you read OhThePossibilities' TRUTHS that McKinnie is not a better solution at LT than Oher?

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    Roger Saffold of the Rams is "possibly" on the trade block, and would be a worthy LT, though he is on the final year of his rookei deal, and may not actually be on the trade block.

Chris Faulk of LSU and Brennan Williams of UNC are LT's with injury concerns that will drop them to the 3rd round range.

Terron Armstead and Menelik Watson are OT's with GREAT athleticism, and minimal experience.

Justin Pugh of Syracuse is a LT that may need to move inside due to Michael Oher/Sam Baker disease, i.e. short arms, but some liek I believe Mayock thinks he can play LT at the NFL level and would want him to prove he can't before moving him.

David Quessenberry of SDSU is a tackle that the Ravens have hown at least some interest in, and would be a mid round selection.

LUke Marquadt is a mountain of a man who played for Little ole Azusa State... has good athleticism and prototypical size.

That's about it.
    That's what it comes down to. There is no real obvious solution. I'd like to think that a healthy Faulk could hold down LT as long as KO-GG-Yanda can form a solid pocket, but he's probably not going to be able to get in the necessary work in camp to be there week 1 because of the ACL. He's got the measurables, but not the technique.

Watson and Armstead, probably have the most upside, but you can't expect them to be out there week 1. If Oz was able to draft one of them (or Faulk), McKinnie would be a decent pick up at close to vet minimum to fill in for that first month or so. After that, I'd be inclined to throw the young guy in there.

Pugh would give you the option of flexibility. He and KO could compete at LT and whoever wins out, the other moves inside to LG. If his arms were 3 inches longer, that would make him a 1st round guy, no doubt.

And if one is inclined to believe that KO could move to LT, then Barrett Jones definitely comes into play as he could probably push anyone (outside of Yanda) for a starting spot. Hell, you might even end up with him at RT, KO at LT and Oher at LG.

Quessenberry and Marquardt are really intriguing guys that would probably provide just depth initially (though Quessenberry can move all over, so his value is a bit higher).

That's about it.
    Thanks much for the overview. Armstead and Watson are among the guys I hope fall to the late 2nd or 3rd. I think more and more that Oz will trade down. We need another great 2-choice 2nd roun (and I am not referring to Kindle and Cody!).

Thanks much for the overview. Armstead and Watson are among the guys I hope fall to the late 2nd or 3rd. I think more and more that Oz will trade down. We need another great 2-choice 2nd roun (and I am not referring to Kindle and Cody!).
    I wonder... if Kindle hadn't fallen down those stairs... how would that have affected the team? Probably a good chance Oz either doesn't draft Upshaw, or doesn't sign Dumerville. And maybe they try to push Kruger at DE... Maybe instead of Upshaw, they go with Cordy Glenn last year...but then probably no KO... who knows?

That's about it.
    Just about.

There is also the possibility of Kyle Long (Oregon) or David Bakhtiari (Colorado), either of whom could play LT. They should both end up being selected in rounds 2 - 4. Xavier Nixon (Florida) is another guy who probably goes rounds 3 - 5. These three are good athletes with upside but also with question marks.

Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post
    Just about.

There is also the possibility of Kyle Long (Oregon) or David Bakhtiari (Colorado), either of whom could play LT. They should both end up being selected in rounds 2 - 4. Xavier Nixon (Florida) is another guy who probably goes rounds 3 - 5. These three are good athletes with upside but also with question marks.

FWIW Nixon handled Clowney okay last season. Folks like Pugh b/c of his very good feet. If he's kicked inside then you have a terrific guard. I think we can do some work on the OL this Draft.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post

Just about.

False.

People are acting like because Long is tall, he can play LT. If that was the case then why was he the LG at Oregon? Furthermore, he had some of the shortest arms out of any OL'man in this draft. Long could be a very good guard, but would probably fail as a LT or RT.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Forum Runner
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post

FWIW Nixon handled Clowney okay last season. Folks like Pugh b/c of his very good feet. If he's kicked inside then you have a terrific guard. I think we can do some work on the OL this Draft.
    Pugh is another one with short arms. He will probably be an excellent guard.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Forum Runner
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.