Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: McKinnie ?

Blog Entries

Re: McKinnie ?

Can't remember where I saw this, but: Someone noted (or opined) that a large part of Oher's inadequacy at LT was technical--he has a tendency to attack the defender in front of him & is not good at riding a rusher around & behind the QB to form the pocket.

If that's the case (& anyone who wants to argue the contrary should have at it), KO at LG isn't going to help much--when Oher is beaten (which will happen often with NFL-level rushers) the pocket will collapse before Joe has a chance to step up, no matter how well the interior of the line plays.

Can Oher's technique be corrected? Old(er) dog, new tricks--not promising, but Castillo may be able to help. Can KO play a technically-superior LT? Possibly; again, Castillo has made some interesting noises in that direction. But let's not exaggerate what coaching can do--his initials are JC but it does not follow that he can walk on water, raise the dead, or turn any given journeyman OL into a bunch of HOFers.

McKinnie on a short-term incentive-laden contract may end up the least unpalatable option for the current season, and the Ravens are IMO quite right not to burn bridges with him.

That said, they need a long-term solution. Maybe that means drafting a project or two this year & giving them the season to develop; maybe that means a trade; maybe that means packaging some picks this year for a high first-rounder this year or next (not something I've seen floated but certainly possible depending on who's coming out in 2014) to snag a day-1 starter. But doing nothing is not an option if the Ravens want to remain perennial contenders.

Quote Originally Posted by OhThePossibilities View Post
    Way to ignore the reasoning.
    There IS no "reasoning". At NO point has Oher EVER played better than McKinnie. EVER.

Quote Originally Posted by lobachevsky View Post
    McKinnie on a short-term incentive-laden contract may end up the least unpalatable option for the current season, and the Ravens are IMO quite right not to burn bridges with him.

That said, they need a long-term solution. Maybe that means drafting a project or two this year & giving them the season to develop; maybe that means a trade; maybe that means packaging some picks this year for a high first-rounder this year or next (not something I've seen floated but certainly possible depending on who's coming out in 2014) to snag a day-1 starter. But doing nothing is not an option if the Ravens want to remain perennial contenders.
    This.

Blog Entries

Yeah, I'm tired of seeing Oher playing LT, enough of that already. He belongs at RT and probably would be even better at guard, but the Ravens will never move him inside. Still, he is a decent RT, and I wouldn't be against extending him IF and only IF he's playing RT.

I still think the best option is to bring McKinnie back on a one year deal, because he is clearly our best option, and would allow everyone to excel at their natural positions.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Van Cleef View Post
    Castillo seems to be becoming this mythical figure that can instantly make OL players better.
    Don't stretch it out of proportion. Caldwell took over for Cam and the Ravens offense got new life. Perhaps (?) Castillo can do something Moeller can't and the Oline will benefit from it... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by RavensRule21215 View Post
    There IS no "reasoning". At NO point has Oher EVER played better than McKinnie. EVER.
    Did you not see the downward trend in how he graded out through the playoffs? He was 1 game away from being Oher on one of Oher's worse days by the Superbowl. He doesn't condition himself to where he can keep up his performance and as he gets older, the cliff gets closer and closer from the start of the race.

It's been said that the season is a marathon, but McKinnie treats it like a 2K Fun Run.

Did you not see the downward trend in how he graded out through the playoffs? He was 1 game away from being Oher on one of Oher's worse days by the Superbowl. He doesn't condition himself to where he can keep up his performance and as he gets older, the cliff gets closer and closer from the start of the race.

It's been said that the season is a marathon, but McKinnie treats it like a 2K Fun Run.
    :word

This.

If McKinnie could sustain his level of play throughout a entire season then signing him would be a no brainer as some have said. Then again if anyone had any confidence he could do that he would likely be signed by now. Thinking McKinnie is going to show up in shape and ready to go is boderline delusional based on his history.
    “A linebacker's job is to knock out running backs, to knock out receivers, to chase the football,”
    -Ray Lewis

On McKinnie's WORST day he's STILL better than Oher, okay? He played the whole season in 2011 without any major malfunctions. So no, I'm not buying your "theory". (And that's all it is; it's not "reasoning", it's your personal theory is all it is.)

Quote Originally Posted by RavensRule21215 View Post
    On McKinnie's WORST day he's STILL better than Oher, okay? He played the whole season in 2011 without any major malfunctions. So no, I'm not buying your "theory". (And that's all it is; it's not "reasoning", it's your personal theory is all it is.)
    It's theory that as you get older, you need to work harder to stay in shape?

It's theory that McKinnie hasn't put in the necessary work off season in the past?

It's theory that his grades progressively declined in each of his 4 post season games?

These aren't theories, these are truths.

Quote Originally Posted by lobachevsky View Post
    Can't remember where I saw this, but: Someone noted (or opined) that a large part of Oher's inadequacy at LT was technical--he has a tendency to attack the defender in front of him & is not good at riding a rusher around & behind the QB to form the pocket.

If that's the case (& anyone who wants to argue the contrary should have at it), KO at LG isn't going to help much--when Oher is beaten (which will happen often with NFL-level rushers) the pocket will collapse before Joe has a chance to step up, no matter how well the interior of the line plays.

Can Oher's technique be corrected? Old(er) dog, new tricks--not promising, but Castillo may be able to help. Can KO play a technically-superior LT? Possibly; again, Castillo has made some interesting noises in that direction. But let's not exaggerate what coaching can do--his initials are JC but it does not follow that he can walk on water, raise the dead, or turn any given journeyman OL into a bunch of HOFers.

Despite his "great attitude" and "incredible work ethic" I have not seen ONE IOTA of progress out of Oher. I still believe his rookie season was his finest. I still believe he has almost straight-line regressed since then, taking into consideration that the left is harder then the right.

I see no reason to believe that hsi technique and/or results at LT will ever improve. Between his mini little T-rex arms, his ingrained desire to body his man up, and his faster then the speed of light first step(a nice way to say he constantly false starts) I just fail to see LT when I watch him play. He is not only poor agaisnt the outside speed rush, he is also poor when his man sets up for an outside speed rush and spins inside, a la Dwight Freeney.

It's theory that as you get older, you need to work harder to stay in shape?

It's theory that McKinnie hasn't put in the necessary work off season in the past?

It's theory that his grades progressively declined in each of his 4 post season games?

I didn't notice a significant drop off in McKinnies play throughout the postseason. What I saw was a Ravens OL that effectively neutralized some of the best pass rushing defenses in the NFL and gave Flacco the protection to operate as an elite QB.Something we very rarely saw with Oher playing LT.

No, they're not. They're your manipulation of certain statistics and thoughts to try to prove your point is all they are. It's not a FACT that ALL players necessarily have to work harder as they get older. Siragusa didn't. JO didn't either. And THOSE are FACTS. And they'll be the first ones to tell you that. It all depends on the player in question, and on the position they play. In essence, McKinnie got the year off last year, so he's basically got as much tread on the tires this year as last. And your other "truths" are hardly "truths" at all, especially your notion that Oher could fill in for McKinnie and do as good a job as McKinnie, when EVERY reality points to the fact that he can't.
    Last edited by RavensRule21215; 04-05-2013 at 04:43 PM.