Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Results 25 to 36 of 124

Thread: McKinnie ?

  1. #25
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    6,776
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: McKinnie ?



    Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    I think he'll end up signing a one year deal for a very cheap price because of the lack of interest.
    I think that the Ravens will draft a versatile Olineman who will end up playing guard and will shift KO to LT in 2014 were I believe they want him to play eventually.
    Oh, I can agree with that, leach. I can see McKinnie signed for about 10% over the veteran minimum. Or else he can face his financial problems in 2013, which would not be to his benefit... Bc




  2. #26

    Re: McKinnie ?

    Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    McKinnie IS NOT coming back next year. I don't care how many "conversations" he claims he's had with Harbaugh, or what coachspeak comes out of John's mouth. He's not coming back! Mark that down as my most bulletproof prediction of the year. If I'm wrong feel free to put this in your signature to remind me as much as possible.

    This is a guy who WOULD NOT HAVE PLAYED A SNAP last year without Jah Reid getting hurt. Oher wasn't very good at LT in 2012, in fact he was downright bad quite often, but he kept the job all 16 games. If Jah Reid would have been healthy for the playoffs they would have plugged him in at LG just like they did every other time he was healthy. When Reid went down, they KNEW they couldn't hand the job back to Harewood or B. Williams. They had NO CHOICE but to plug KO in at LG, and that opened up a hole at RT. McKinnie can't play RT, but Oher can, so the ONLY OPTION was to play McKinnie.

    No matter how much we try to massage the narrative after the fact, McKinnie was not in the Ravens' plans to play a snap at LT in 2012, and I see NO REASON to think he's in the plans for 2013. End of story. They'll play Oher at LT because they like him there--they always have and the results on the field have never been and will never be an impediment to that.

    I don't LIKE Oher at LT, but it's going to be either him or Osemele at LT on opening day. If the OL is strong at the other 4 positions the offense as a whole can probably overcome bad LT play. I think bringing in an RT option like Winston or Clabo is the direction the team will go.
    This.

    McKinnie was probably the guy Harbaugh hated the most on the team. We wouldn't bring him back if he would play for vet minimum. I think playing McKinnie was a big part of the "mutiny". If you watch the mic'ed up highlights of the AFC Championship there is a part where Reed is on the bench saying "this is the o-line we have been talking about all year. They're invincible". I took it is Reed saying, "It's about time Harbaugh got his head out of his ass and played the best combination of players on the o-line". I think Oher is the starting left tackle next year. He sucks at the position, but he is a hard worker. He's a Harballer.




  3. #27
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Baltimore
    Posts
    809

    Re: McKinnie ?

    While I don't think there is zero chance of McKinney returning, it's pretty damn unlikely. He is the back-up-back-up plan. They will likely see how the draft plays out, check out the post draft free agency market, and if no solution presents itself they will sign him for at or near the vet minimum for a year while they cross their fingers for next year.

    That's what I expect they are thinking at least, I personally would have signed him already. I can't go through another Oher move to LT. I'd rather give Jah Reid, Ramon Harewood, or Jack Cornell a chance at LT before Oher.




  4. #28
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    6,776
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: McKinnie ?

    bmorecareful "McKinnie IS NOT coming back next year."

    Quote Originally Posted by Purpleguy View Post
    This.
    McKinnie was probably the guy Harbaugh hated the most on the team. We wouldn't bring him back if he would play for vet minimum...
    You both may be right, but let's ponder the situation. Question : "Would the Ravens had gotten to/won the Super Bowl without McKinnie @ LT?" IMO the answer is "NO." So, if he would agree to a bit more than the veteran minimum, considering the Ravens do not have an LT replacement at this time, why sholdn't Ozzie resign him? It's a legitimate question... Bc




  5. #29

    Re: McKinnie ?

    I am shocked at some these comments. McKinnie was in the dog house all year and he didn't complain one time , when he finally got his chance he was lights out. Why not bring him back as another option if our draft pick or other options don't work out.




  6. #30

    Re: McKinnie ?

    Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    bmorecareful "McKinnie IS NOT coming back next year."



    You both may be right, but let's ponder the situation. Question : "Would the Ravens had gotten to/won the Super Bowl without McKinnie @ LT?" IMO the answer is "NO." So, if he would agree to a bit more than the veteran minimum, considering the Ravens do not have an LT replacement at this time, why sholdn't Ozzie resign him? It's a legitimate question... Bc
    It's a VERY legitimate question. It's one thing to be all bravado when you've GOT a backup plan. It's quite another to be all bravado when you don't. The Ravens have nothing at LT as of this moment. Nothing. I don't care how much Castillo might THINK that KO will fill in at LT. Until he's DONE it, it's all speculation. McKinnie is more than speculation. The fact that he's less than perfect really means little; the world is less than perfect. All the moves so far have been fine as far as fixing the defense. Now it's time to fix the O-line. Or it's not going to be pretty.




  7. #31

    Re: McKinnie ?

    Quote Originally Posted by RavensRule21215 View Post
    It's a VERY legitimate question. It's one thing to be all bravado when you've GOT a backup plan. It's quite another to be all bravado when you don't. The Ravens have nothing at LT as of this moment. Nothing. I don't care how much Castillo might THINK that KO will fill in at LT. Until he's DONE it, it's all speculation. McKinnie is more than speculation. The fact that he's less than perfect really means little; the world is less than perfect. All the moves so far have been fine as far as fixing the defense. Now it's time to fix the O-line. Or it's not going to be pretty.
    Good post




  8. #32

    Re: McKinnie ?

    Quote Originally Posted by helloharv View Post
    Good post
    Thanks Harv. I appreciate the fact that you started this thread. I honestly don't understand the casual approach a lot of fans are taking to this void at LT, especially those thinking out of hand that McKinnie is not a legit solution. There have been lots of things that Ozzie has done well. Most things, in fact. The O-line, unfortunately, has just not been one of them. And I would have assumed that after signing Joe to a huge contract (that he clearly earned, IMO), the O-line would have been priority #1. It does not appear as if it is, and that's a legit concern.




  9. #33

    Re: McKinnie ?

    Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    bmorecareful "McKinnie IS NOT coming back next year."



    You both may be right, but let's ponder the situation. Question : "Would the Ravens had gotten to/won the Super Bowl without McKinnie @ LT?" IMO the answer is "NO." So, if he would agree to a bit more than the veteran minimum, considering the Ravens do not have an LT replacement at this time, why sholdn't Ozzie resign him? It's a legitimate question... Bc
    First of all, I'm not at all sure that McKinnie's play at LT was the SOLE factor, or even the most important factor, in the Ravens' Super Bowl run. Go back and look at Filmstudy's grades of McKinnie during the playoffs, and you'll find that McKinnie wasn't actually playing all that great overall. Flacco and the offense were stepping up and making plays despite that.

    vs. IND .85 B+
    @ DEN .74 C+
    @ NWE .70 C
    vs. SFO .68 C-

    And Filmstudy gave him an aggregate C, albeit better than Oher. So it wasn't as if McKinnie was playing at some herculean level individually. Now, if your argument is that "well, it wasn't really McKinnie at LT, it was just KO at LG and Oher at RT..." if that argument is true, they don't need McKinnie anyway! They just need someone ELSE to step in at LT, so why is McKinnie the best option? He's an average-to-mediocre player EVEN IN LIMITED ACTION, and is totally untrustworthy as a 16+ game starter.

    I just can't grasp this notion that McKinnie--a guy the team DIDN'T WANT TO PLAY AT ALL LAST YEAR and never even sniffed overtaking Oher, even after some truly horrible showings at LT--is somehow necessary to the offense playing well in 2013. It's just not going to happen, not with this head coach and this FO. They don't WANT McKinnie at ANY price, period, and I can't say I disagree with them.

    By the way... regarding this whole meme that franchise QBs need elite LTs above all else... Aaron Rodgers, Ben Roethlisberger, Drew Brees, Peyton Manning (before 2012), Eli Manning etc. etc. etc... all say hello. Franchise QBs that NEVER had elite LTs, but have 7 Super Bowl rings between them. Obviously having an elite LT is very nice to have, but it is NOT the be-all end-all of offensive success.




  10. #34

    Re: McKinnie ?

    Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    bmorecareful "McKinnie IS NOT coming back next year."



    You both may be right, but let's ponder the situation. Question : "Would the Ravens had gotten to/won the Super Bowl without McKinnie @ LT?" IMO the answer is "NO." So, if he would agree to a bit more than the veteran minimum, considering the Ravens do not have an LT replacement at this time, why sholdn't Ozzie resign him? It's a legitimate question... Bc
    I don't think we would have won the Superbowl without McKinnie at LT. I know we wouldn't have won it without Boldin. That doesn't factor into the thought process. For the record, I am all for bringing back McKinnie as a stop gap, but it is apparent that they are letting Harbaugh have a lot more input in personnel decisions, and there is no way he brings McKinnie back. The guy that said that Bryant would have never played if Jah Reid didn't get injured is absolutely correct. Harbaugh had no intention of McKinnie ever taking a snap last season. It wasn't a motivational tactic that ended up paying dividends like a lot of fans are suggesting. It was a move forced by injury.




  11. #35

    Re: McKinnie ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Purpleguy View Post
    I don't think we would have won the Superbowl without McKinnie at LT. I know we wouldn't have won it without Boldin. That doesn't factor into the thought process. For the record, I am all for bringing back McKinnie as a stop gap, but it is apparent that they are letting Harbaugh have a lot more input in personnel decisions, and there is no way he brings McKinnie back. The guy that said that Bryant would have never played if Jah Reid didn't get injured is absolutely correct. Harbaugh had no intention of McKinnie ever taking a snap last season. It wasn't a motivational tactic that ended up paying dividends like a lot of fans are suggesting. It was a move forced by injury.
    As long as he's got some alternative, fine. I'm not wedded to McKinnie at all. It's just that in the absence of any real alternative, McKinnie wins my vote by default. I felt the Ravens should have gone after Bushrod. But that's water over the dam at this point. I don't see any LTs in the draft, aside from the top three, and they'll be gone long before the Ravens pick. So what's left? McKinnie. Oher. KO. Hmmmmmmmm....

    (And as an aside...if one is to assume that Harbaugh would never take McKinnie back, then all the news reports of Harbaugh calling McKinnie to tell him he'd like him back are false?)




  12. #36
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Cub Hill, MD
    Posts
    2,533

    Re: McKinnie ?

    Maybe Ozzie wants to see how fat (or in shape) McKinnie is going to get before making a decision.


    WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland