Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: McKinnie ?

Re: McKinnie ?

Quote Originally Posted by OhThePossibilities View Post
    I think they may sign McKinnie for depth and not much more.

I also think there's a good possibility that if they don't draft an OT with their 1st pick, they may draft Pugh with the 2nd and roll with him at LG and KO at LT.
    KO was having problems with speed rushers when they had him at RT so I'm not sure putting him on Flacco's blindside is such a great idea. They have two solid OG's in KO and Yanda and Oher is relatively solid at RT.That needs to stay the same. I forgot about Yanda missing the regular season game but that's the closest comparison that I could come up with.A fat McKinnie is a better LT than an undersized Oher.That's been tried on more than one occasion and it just doesn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by TDL1000 View Post
    KO was having problems with speed rushers when they had him at RT so I'm not sure putting him on Flacco's blindside is such a great idea. They have two solid OG's in KO and Yanda and Oher is relatively solid at RT.That needs to stay the same. I forgot about Yanda missing the regular season game but that's the closest comparison that I could come up with.A fat McKinnie is a better LT than an undersized Oher.That's been tried on more than one occasion and it just doesn't work.
    Just because KO had troubles with speed as a rookie doesn't mean he will forever be incapable of holding down LT. Dude has prototypical size and his arm length is incredible. He was solid in the Giants game at RT and with Castillo coaching him up, he could really progress.

If there's a guy they can think will be lights out at LG in the draft, and there's no option for a starting LT value wise, I'd rather roll with the new guard and KO at LT than McKinnie. McKinnie just doesn't put in the work needed, and especially as he's getting older, he just can't hang for an entire season. You could see in the playoff run where he was really good in the first game and then each progressive game, he got worse. If you go into the 2013 season with McKinnie at LT, by game 5 or 6, he won't be holding his own...to the point where Oher would actually be a better option at LT. If they think a guy like Faulk could be up to speed at that point, fine, plan to start McKinnie for a few games then sit his ass on the bench, but you can't roll into the season expecting McKinnie to give you anything more than 4 or 5 starts.

Quote Originally Posted by OhThePossibilities View Post
    If you go into the 2013 season with McKinnie at LT, by game 5 or 6, he won't be holding his own...to the point where Oher would actually be a better option at LT.
    I don't think so.

Blog Entries

Castillo seems to be becoming this mythical figure that can instantly make OL players better.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Van Cleef View Post
    Castillo seems to be becoming this mythical figure that can instantly make OL players better.
    Players progress. Generally with better coaching. Not that hard to understand.

Quote Originally Posted by RavensRule21215 View Post
    I don't think so.

Way to ignore the reasoning.

Blog Entries

Because he has a long track record of developing o-linemen. Is that really hard to understand?

Blog Entries

Split on this one...He's clearly better than Moeller, IMO. But it's not like every OL he touches turns into JO.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    First of all, I'm not at all sure that McKinnie's play at LT was the SOLE factor, or even the most important factor, in the Ravens' Super Bowl run. Go back and look at Filmstudy's grades of McKinnie during the playoffs, and you'll find that McKinnie wasn't actually playing all that great overall. Flacco and the offense were stepping up and making plays despite that.

vs. IND .85 B+
    @ DEN .74 C+
    @ NWE .70 C
    vs. SFO .68 C-

And Filmstudy gave him an aggregate C, albeit better than Oher. So it wasn't as if McKinnie was playing at some herculean level individually. Now, if your argument is that "well, it wasn't really McKinnie at LT, it was just KO at LG and Oher at RT..." if that argument is true, they don't need McKinnie anyway! They just need someone ELSE to step in at LT, so why is McKinnie the best option? He's an average-to-mediocre player EVEN IN LIMITED ACTION, and is totally untrustworthy as a 16+ game starter.

I just can't grasp this notion that McKinnie--a guy the team DIDN'T WANT TO PLAY AT ALL LAST YEAR and never even sniffed overtaking Oher, even after some truly horrible showings at LT--is somehow necessary to the offense playing well in 2013. It's just not going to happen, not with this head coach and this FO. They don't WANT McKinnie at ANY price, period, and I can't say I disagree with them.

By the way... regarding this whole meme that franchise QBs need elite LTs above all else... Aaron Rodgers, Ben Roethlisberger, Drew Brees, Peyton Manning (before 2012), Eli Manning etc. etc. etc... all say hello. Franchise QBs that NEVER had elite LTs, but have 7 Super Bowl rings between them. Obviously having an elite LT is very nice to have, but it is NOT the be-all end-all of offensive success.
    Having an "elite" left tackle may not be a necessity, but you do need, at least, a servicable one. McKinnie is servicable and a much beter option than Oher. Don't forget that we have an uknown starting at center this seaon. IF Gradkowski struggles and Oher is playing left tackle, it ould be a disaster.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    Split on this one...He's clearly better than Moeller, IMO. But it's not like every OL he touches turns into JO.
    The thing is you don't need a JO to win. You just need solid play. Look at our line through the playoffs. I don't think you'd mistake McKinnie or Oher as JO, but they played well enough to get the job done.

Once we get past 4/19 and Pitta signs his tender i think you'll see Mckinnie re-signed. Being just 4.1 million under they may be operating with caution just in case someone makes an offer(doubtful). It's sort of a unique situation w/Mckinnie because he's obviously still a more then capable LT but his work ethic, age and weight question leave him on the market. We'll see the price continue to drop and they'll get him at a modest rate when it's all said and done.

I know people are mentioning Oher and KO when it comes to LT but imo both are secondary options. Oher's arm length, among other things have always hampered him at the position, he's working with a different margin for error. KO i think has the ability to be a good RT and solid LT but he could be as good of a LG as there is in football imo, why jeopardize that unless you absolutely have to? Look at how much Joe got to step into a clean pocket and plant his feet for throws compared to pre Mckinnie and Caldwell where he was throwing so much of his back foot.
    Last edited by Carey; 04-05-2013 at 08:37 AM.

I'm more concerned about Big Mac's stamina for a whole season running an uptempo offense.

If KO can play LT, then I think we'll all be on board. If Barrett Jones is around for us in the second round, I could see taking a flyer on him and seeing if he can plug in somewhere between LG/C depending on how Gino develops.