Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: Ayanbedjo released (?)

Kinda assumed this would happen. Was used less and less on defense this past year, and his own performance on special teams dropped from his usual high standard. He's going to move on from football and go into politics or something would be my bet at this stage of his career

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    Ramifications of this move...
    Possible indicator of comfort with the depth at ILB and/or special teams? Indication of an ILB signing? Does this mean McClain's roster spot is safe?
    I don't expect this to be the final veteran release. Leach might be next.
    I don't think this indicates the Ravens are comfortable with ILB. Brendon will be 37 (September) and his last name is so hard to spell ;) Actually it's just more of Ozzie's housecleaning. I believe ILB will be an early priority come draft day... Bc

Creating room for Mckinnie....
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Quote Originally Posted by Reedpixuoff View Post
    Why now? We usually cut guys before/at the start of free agency to give them the best chance at finding a new team, otherwise we hold onto them until final cuts in August.
    Because it doesn't effect a guy who is a special teams ace and 37 years old. People aren't clamoring to sign a guy primarily for ST's in the beginning of free agency regardless. If he was a solid position player and 5-8 years younder, then you would have a point, but teams aren't looking to sure up their ST's right now. If they had released him 3 weeks ago, and he was actively looking for a gig, he still would be on the market

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    Aaron put on Twitter that before this move we had a little over $5.3 million of cap room...I think this frees up a little under $1 million.

So we'll have about $6.3 million of cap space...with another $2.5 coming after June 1.
    Not sure how that cap number can be right when the were only $7.2M under and that was before Dumervil. His cap for 2013 is $2.5m and Huffs is $1.35. They should have around $3.4M plus whatever BA's salary was added on.

BA quality player and person who will be missed.

Good riddance!

No more "Play like a peacock"!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    Cue suspicion that he was part of a mutiny in 3...2...

In all seriousness though, total class guy. Quality man on and off the field. Good luck to him moving forward, but I expect we're his last stop.
    Agree good guy just his time was up believe he's gonna be 37

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by TDL1000 View Post
    Not sure how that cap number can be right when the were only $7.2M under and that was before Dumervil. His cap for 2013 is $2.5m and Huffs is $1.35. They should have around $3.4M plus whatever BA's salary was added on.

I think/thought we were $7.7M under before Doom and Huff.

And you have to remember that with the Rule of 51, you need to reduce the net "cap hit" for each newly signed free agent by $480,000 because the new player will take the place of a guy who was taking up $480,000 in the top 51.

So for Doom + Huff it would be an addition of $2.89M to our cap. If $7.7M was the number before, then it would have stood at $4.81M under the cap before the BA release.

Thankfully, Ravor will tell us exactly where we stand when he checks this thread. :)

Quote Originally Posted by JoeCool5 View Post
    Nice guy, but he offers nothing outside of special teams. I am loving the quest to get younger on 'd'!
    Even at 37 or 38, he's still the best pass covering LB we have in our organization.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevlar View Post
    Good riddance!

No more "Play like a peacock"!
    Agree .... what a douchebag.

At 37 y/o, if he wanted to play another year or two, he should have kept his big mouth shut. Guarantee that he won't get a hint of a look from any other teams.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Quote Originally Posted by TDL1000 View Post

You are forgetting that when Dumervil was signed, his $2.5m replaced the $480k of the last guy on the "Rule of 51" roster. So, essentially, Dumervil's signing only impacted the cap $2m. Huff only impacted the cap $855k.

My cap spreadsheet had us at $8.1 before Huff and Doom. If you subtract the $2.9 true cap impact by signing these two plaeyrs, it puts us around $5.2. I think $5 to $5.5 is safe.

This is a bit of a head scratcher. This move only saves about $300k in true cap space. Why get rid of this guy for such a small amount of cap space? At one point in each of the last 3 seasons, we needed Ayanbadejo to step in and take a decent amount of snaps (mainly passing downs) due to injuries ahead of him on the depth chart. He always seems to play well in those instances, so this is quite a peculiar move.

If you make it to camp and can't justify giving a player that old a spot in the 53 man roster, that's fine. Why do it now, particularly with Jameel McClain being no sure thing to even play a single snap in 2013? You can always cut him in training camp if it's apparent he's not making the team. Doing it now just further limits future options all for a very minimal cap savings.