Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 72
  1. #16

    Re: Ayanbedjo released (?)



    Quote Originally Posted by Reedpixuoff View Post
    Why now? We usually cut guys before/at the start of free agency to give them the best chance at finding a new team, otherwise we hold onto them until final cuts in August.
    Because it doesn't effect a guy who is a special teams ace and 37 years old. People aren't clamoring to sign a guy primarily for ST's in the beginning of free agency regardless. If he was a solid position player and 5-8 years younder, then you would have a point, but teams aren't looking to sure up their ST's right now. If they had released him 3 weeks ago, and he was actively looking for a gig, he still would be on the market




  2. #17

    Re: Ayanbedjo released (?)

    Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    Aaron put on Twitter that before this move we had a little over $5.3 million of cap room...I think this frees up a little under $1 million.

    So we'll have about $6.3 million of cap space...with another $2.5 coming after June 1.
    Not sure how that cap number can be right when the were only $7.2M under and that was before Dumervil. His cap for 2013 is $2.5m and Huffs is $1.35. They should have around $3.4M plus whatever BA's salary was added on.

    BA quality player and person who will be missed.




  3. #18

    Re: Ayanbedjo released (?)

    Good riddance!

    No more "Play like a peacock"!




  4. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Pasadena
    Posts
    10,125
    Blog Entries
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    Cue suspicion that he was part of a mutiny in 3...2...

    In all seriousness though, total class guy. Quality man on and off the field. Good luck to him moving forward, but I expect we're his last stop.
    Agree good guy just his time was up believe he's gonna be 37


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk




  5. #20

    Re: Ayanbedjo released (?)

    Quote Originally Posted by TDL1000 View Post
    Not sure how that cap number can be right when the were only $7.2M under and that was before Dumervil. His cap for 2013 is $2.5m and Huffs is $1.35. They should have around $3.4M plus whatever BA's salary was added on.

    BA quality player and person who will be missed.
    I think/thought we were $7.7M under before Doom and Huff.

    And you have to remember that with the Rule of 51, you need to reduce the net "cap hit" for each newly signed free agent by $480,000 because the new player will take the place of a guy who was taking up $480,000 in the top 51.

    So for Doom + Huff it would be an addition of $2.89M to our cap. If $7.7M was the number before, then it would have stood at $4.81M under the cap before the BA release.

    Thankfully, Ravor will tell us exactly where we stand when he checks this thread.




  6. #21
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    2,855
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Ayanbedjo released (?)

    Quote Originally Posted by JoeCool5 View Post
    Nice guy, but he offers nothing outside of special teams. I am loving the quest to get younger on 'd'!
    Even at 37 or 38, he's still the best pass covering LB we have in our organization.




  7. #22

    Re: Ayanbedjo released (?)

    Quote Originally Posted by Kevlar View Post
    Good riddance!

    No more "Play like a peacock"!
    Agree .... what a douchebag.

    At 37 y/o, if he wanted to play another year or two, he should have kept his big mouth shut. Guarantee that he won't get a hint of a look from any other teams.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).




  8. #23
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    2,855
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Ayanbedjo released (?)

    Quote Originally Posted by TDL1000 View Post
    Not sure how that cap number can be right when the were only $7.2M under and that was before Dumervil. His cap for 2013 is $2.5m and Huffs is $1.35. They should have around $3.4M plus whatever BA's salary was added on.

    BA quality player and person who will be missed.
    You are forgetting that when Dumervil was signed, his $2.5m replaced the $480k of the last guy on the "Rule of 51" roster. So, essentially, Dumervil's signing only impacted the cap $2m. Huff only impacted the cap $855k.

    My cap spreadsheet had us at $8.1 before Huff and Doom. If you subtract the $2.9 true cap impact by signing these two plaeyrs, it puts us around $5.2. I think $5 to $5.5 is safe.




  9. #24
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    2,855
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Ayanbedjo released (?)

    This is a bit of a head scratcher. This move only saves about $300k in true cap space. Why get rid of this guy for such a small amount of cap space? At one point in each of the last 3 seasons, we needed Ayanbadejo to step in and take a decent amount of snaps (mainly passing downs) due to injuries ahead of him on the depth chart. He always seems to play well in those instances, so this is quite a peculiar move.

    If you make it to camp and can't justify giving a player that old a spot in the 53 man roster, that's fine. Why do it now, particularly with Jameel McClain being no sure thing to even play a single snap in 2013? You can always cut him in training camp if it's apparent he's not making the team. Doing it now just further limits future options all for a very minimal cap savings.




  10. #25
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    2,855
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Ayanbedjo released (?)

    BTW, "Huff and Doom" would be a great nickname for a defense. As in, "you start to breathe heavy and you're dead"




  11. #26
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    San Dimas, CA
    Posts
    7,792

    Re: Ayanbedjo released (?)

    The Ravens can take one of those draft picks and select some mid-round tough linebacker/corner type who can play special teams for half the salary and half the age of BA.




  12. #27

    Re: Ayanbedjo released (?)

    Quote Originally Posted by LukeDaniel View Post
    You are forgetting that when Dumervil was signed, his $2.5m replaced the $480k of the last guy on the "Rule of 51" roster. So, essentially, Dumervil's signing only impacted the cap $2m. Huff only impacted the cap $855k.

    My cap spreadsheet had us at $8.1 before Huff and Doom. If you subtract the $2.9 true cap impact by signing these two plaeyrs, it puts us around $5.2. I think $5 to $5.5 is safe.
    As of March 12th they were $7,707,586 under and this was after Canty and Spears were signed and with the savings from the trade of Boldin included. All I've read about Dumervil and Huff has indicated that their cap hits for the 2013 season will be $2.5M for Elvis and $1.35M for Huff. They are slated to get back $2M for Pollard but not until June 1st but according to the Tweet after BA's release they would be approximately $6.2M under now.According to AW the cap savings for BA will be $807K which would be added on to "Ravens' updated salary-cap figure: $5.356 million under NFL limit of $123 million".

    I'm not bright enough to figure this shit out only so many fingers and toes lol.




  13. #28
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Westminster - Raventown, MD!
    Posts
    13,099
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Ayanbedjo released (?)

    Quote Originally Posted by LukeDaniel View Post
    This is a bit of a head scratcher. This move only saves about $300k in true cap space. Why get rid of this guy for such a small amount of cap space? At one point in each of the last 3 seasons, we needed Ayanbadejo to step in and take a decent amount of snaps (mainly passing downs) due to injuries ahead of him on the depth chart. He always seems to play well in those instances, so this is quite a peculiar move.

    If you make it to camp and can't justify giving a player that old a spot in the 53 man roster, that's fine. Why do it now, particularly with Jameel McClain being no sure thing to even play a single snap in 2013? You can always cut him in training camp if it's apparent he's not making the team. Doing it now just further limits future options all for a very minimal cap savings.
    I'm almost certain we'll add a vet ILB either pre or post draft. There's actually a fair amount of guys with higher ability than Ayanbedejo (Barnett, Dansby, Daryl Smith, Chris Gocong, etc), so I'd imagine we'll get one fairly cheap.

    The stat that our oldest players now are Vonta Leach (31) and Chris Johnson (33) is VERY telling. Ozzie decided if we were going to trim the age a little, might as well go all the way on the youth movement. BA was a good teammate, but he wasn't wowing anyone with D play anymore. He did pretty well in 2009, when he got DPOW honors in Week 3, but then tore his quadriceps and missed the rest of the year. After that, he really didn't contribute much on D.
    .
    .
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.


    Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!




  14. #29
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Formerly Carpetbaggerville (IND) --now back in MD
    Posts
    973
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Ayanbedjo released (?)

    Best wishes to him. He represented the organization well on and off the field and seems like a decent dude what ever your feelings on his political views are.

    I'm assuming we grab an OLB or two in the draft but I wonder if we might be able to make a run at someone like Dansby.




  15. #30

    Re: Ayanbedjo released (?)

    BA is a great dude and I wish him the best.

    That said, he sealed his fate I think in the Cowboys game when the Onside kick went between his legs.




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland