Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: Ayanbedjo released (?)

BTW, "Huff and Doom" would be a great nickname for a defense. As in, "you start to breathe heavy and you're dead"

The Ravens can take one of those draft picks and select some mid-round tough linebacker/corner type who can play special teams for half the salary and half the age of BA.

Quote Originally Posted by LukeDaniel View Post
    You are forgetting that when Dumervil was signed, his $2.5m replaced the $480k of the last guy on the "Rule of 51" roster. So, essentially, Dumervil's signing only impacted the cap $2m. Huff only impacted the cap $855k.

My cap spreadsheet had us at $8.1 before Huff and Doom. If you subtract the $2.9 true cap impact by signing these two plaeyrs, it puts us around $5.2. I think $5 to $5.5 is safe.
    As of March 12th they were $7,707,586 under and this was after Canty and Spears were signed and with the savings from the trade of Boldin included. All I've read about Dumervil and Huff has indicated that their cap hits for the 2013 season will be $2.5M for Elvis and $1.35M for Huff. They are slated to get back $2M for Pollard but not until June 1st but according to the Tweet after BA's release they would be approximately $6.2M under now.According to AW the cap savings for BA will be $807K which would be added on to "Ravens' updated salary-cap figure: $5.356 million under NFL limit of $123 million".

I'm not bright enough to figure this shit out only so many fingers and toes lol.

Blog Entries

This is a bit of a head scratcher. This move only saves about $300k in true cap space. Why get rid of this guy for such a small amount of cap space? At one point in each of the last 3 seasons, we needed Ayanbadejo to step in and take a decent amount of snaps (mainly passing downs) due to injuries ahead of him on the depth chart. He always seems to play well in those instances, so this is quite a peculiar move.

If you make it to camp and can't justify giving a player that old a spot in the 53 man roster, that's fine. Why do it now, particularly with Jameel McClain being no sure thing to even play a single snap in 2013? You can always cut him in training camp if it's apparent he's not making the team. Doing it now just further limits future options all for a very minimal cap savings.
    I'm almost certain we'll add a vet ILB either pre or post draft. There's actually a fair amount of guys with higher ability than Ayanbedejo (Barnett, Dansby, Daryl Smith, Chris Gocong, etc), so I'd imagine we'll get one fairly cheap.

The stat that our oldest players now are Vonta Leach (31) and Chris Johnson (33) is VERY telling. Ozzie decided if we were going to trim the age a little, might as well go all the way on the youth movement. BA was a good teammate, but he wasn't wowing anyone with D play anymore. He did pretty well in 2009, when he got DPOW honors in Week 3, but then tore his quadriceps and missed the rest of the year. After that, he really didn't contribute much on D.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Formerly Carpetbaggerville (IND) --now back in MD
    Blog Entries

Best wishes to him. He represented the organization well on and off the field and seems like a decent dude what ever your feelings on his political views are.

I'm assuming we grab an OLB or two in the draft but I wonder if we might be able to make a run at someone like Dansby.

BA is a great dude and I wish him the best.

That said, he sealed his fate I think in the Cowboys game when the Onside kick went between his legs.

Quote Originally Posted by TDL1000 View Post
    According to AW the cap savings for BA will be $807K which would be added on to "Ravens' updated salary-cap figure: $5.356 million under NFL limit of $123 million".
    AW is wrong. He neglects the fact that BA's slot in the Top 51 is filled by a new player, who will account for $480,000. So adding $807,000 to our previous free cap space is not correct.

Blog Entries

Draft Tom Wort.

Best of luck to BA, and I wish to thank him for his time with the team; he always came across as a pretty decent guy and was excellent in his role. As a bisexual man and Ravens fan, I've been proud that he has been one of the flag bearers for issues of equality.

Blog Entries

This is a bit of a head scratcher. This move only saves about $300k in true cap space. Why get rid of this guy for such a small amount of cap space? At one point in each of the last 3 seasons, we needed Ayanbadejo to step in and take a decent amount of snaps (mainly passing downs) due to injuries ahead of him on the depth chart. He always seems to play well in those instances, so this is quite a peculiar move.

If you make it to camp and can't justify giving a player that old a spot in the 53 man roster, that's fine. Why do it now, particularly with Jameel McClain being no sure thing to even play a single snap in 2013? You can always cut him in training camp if it's apparent he's not making the team. Doing it now just further limits future options all for a very minimal cap savings.
    Matt Zenitz ‏@mzenitz 1h

Releasing Ayanbadejo saves the #Ravens $806,667 in cap space. They're now around $6 million under the salary cap

http://www.overthecap.com/teamcap.ph...vens&Year=2013

Cap Number $1,073,333 Dead money $266,667 Cap Savings $806,666

Quote Originally Posted by Haloti92 View Post
    AW is wrong. He neglects the fact that BA's slot in the Top 51 is filled by a new player, who will account for $480,000. So adding $807,000 to our previous free cap space is not correct.
    The Tweet about the $5.356M under was about two hours before the Tweet about BA's release and the $807K in cap savings.

Blog Entries
    They just didnt have plans for him next year.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Forum Runner
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Thanks for the special team play....

Is it sad that I now wait to read the Facebook comments on the ravens page when someone is released for humor? A VAST minority get the situation where as the majority is just comic relief. Quite the opposite on these threads where 99.0% of the posters understand the game of football. Makes me appreciate this site more and more.