Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Re: High possibility Ray Lewis throws opening day first pitch for O's

Quote Originally Posted by downside52 View Post
    Thank you for that additional context - that changes things quite a bit.
    Sure does, but nearly every post since mine still slammed the O's for not involving the Ravens. I guess people believe what they want to believe. Why let an official statement from the Ravens spoil their fun?
    I've upped my standards. Up yours.

Quote Originally Posted by middleriverterp View Post
    Playing devil's advocate, what if Ravens management asked their players not to participate. What if the Ravens are still butt hurt about not being able to strongarm the O's into changing there schedule to support opening night in September.
    I'm not buying the idea that so many Ravens players and FO folks had conflicts on the O's opening day either.

Maybe the NFL office "suggested" the Ravens players should avoid MLB events. I would not put it past them. I just don't see Mr. Bisciotti as being that vindictive. Besides, if his players or staffers had shown up his team would look like the good guys in this whole opening day mess. At the same time the O's FO should have come up with a back-up plan for the first pitch after their League at least played a role in screwing their neighbors.

I still hold the greed of the NFL, and to a lesser degree the MLB, responsible for this show of blatant disrespect to Baltimore Fandom. The World Champs should have been scheduled for a Sunday home game, plain and simple. Knowing the situation, the O's should have had a relative of Mr. Weaver's on hand for their opening day.

Once again the only people that get disappointed are the Fans of Baltimore.

Another poster mentioned that the Orioles marketing folks used to be very good at planning this kind of thing. That is very true, but since for some of the posters here those terrific events happened "before their time", maybe we shouldn't even bring them up.

It seems to me that learning about and honoring the memories of the past enhances ones enjoyment of great events happening in the present, while at the same time providing lessons to avoid mistakes and plan even greater events in the future.

I think this is a lesson to be learned by both the Ravens and the Orioles, as well as some of our terrific Fans.

As for the NFL and MLB i've pretty much given up on those greedy bastards.
    How petty.
    If you break the rules you can't make the rules.
    - Remove Coach Tomlin from the NFL Competition committee.

Let's see...

I was looking forward to seeing the Ravens honored on opening day, with several coaches, players and the Lombardi trophy making an appearance...and reciprocating the good-will shown by the Orioles players and coaches during the Ravens season. That can certainly still happen, but it would have been very special yesterday.

And I was looking for the opening day/night festivities of the NFL season, when Baltimore would have been center-stage as the reigning SB champions.

I think both of those events would have been truly great, memories-for-a-lifetime experiences for Baltimore fans (Orioles fans and Ravens fans). It is going to sting even more when (insert NFL city here) gets the gift of having that day in place of Baltimore in 5 months.

I am not going to get into who I think is to "blame" for either of those events not happening....I certainly don't know the details....but I bet there is plenty of blame to go around. I also bet that the interests of the fans was pretty far down on the list.

That's too bad....

Quote Originally Posted by ed from Bel Air View Post
    I was at the game yesterday. I was running late getting from work, and walked/ran to get into the stadium so I could be in time for the first pitch ceremony. Since the Orioles hyped keeping the first pitch participants under wraps, and made a big deal on the morning radio shows about how the first pitch honoree was a "well guarded secret", I was expecting a ceremony to honor the first World Championship in Baltimore since 2001 to match the hype. I made it about two minutes before the first pitch ceremony.

What I saw was a very lame attempt to honor Earl. It was clear to me that the Orioles were late getting their act together, and the fact the Ravens were not honored meant there was still hard feelings about the scheduling snafu.
    You got there two minutes before the opening pitch, missed all the pre game ceremonies, and came to that conclusion? No offense, but it sounds like the only one in this scenario that was "late getting their act together" was you. Understandable due to your prior commitments, but I doubt you are in any position to make a comment on pregame activities that you admittedly didn't even see.
    Quote Originally Posted by moose10101 View Post
    The Orioles did. They invited several Ravens; all of them said "No":

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/o...,4265535.story

Hopefully the scheduling conflicts were real.
    I'm not buying the connection Childs Walker is insinuating here. He is taking some facts, some prior assumptions, then some speculation, and drawing speculative conclusions.

The Orioles invited Ravens to take part in the Opening ceremonies. Assumption is that a Raven would throw out the opening pitch. Maybe that was never the intention of the Orioles' organization. Maybe the plan was to involve them in some other way. Maybe the plan from the start was to honor Earl Weaver the way they did. But because so much speculation involved which Raven was throwing out the first ball, that slowly morphed into "the Ravens rejected the Orioles' first pitch plan because they were pissed, so the Orioles scrambled to slop something together as a Plan B."

What if what they did was "Plan A" all along, and the Ravens were just going to be announced on the field before showing clips from the Super Bowl run?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBKistler View Post
    Let's see...

I was looking forward to seeing the Ravens honored on opening day, with several coaches, players and the Lombardi trophy making an appearance...and reciprocating the good-will shown by the Orioles players and coaches during the Ravens season. That can certainly still happen, but it would have been very special yesterday.

And I was looking for the opening day/night festivities of the NFL season, when Baltimore would have been center-stage as the reigning SB champions....
    Well, it was the Orioles' Opening Day; it wasn't the Ravens' Super Bowl celebration. They already had their parade. I love the Ravens, but Friday was the Orioles' day to be in the spotlight. Why should they make it about the Ravens? It would be like throwing a big birthday party bash for your brother at the reception of your own wedding. Nice gesture, but it really isn't the time or place.

Quote Originally Posted by Real Fan Dan View Post
    I'm not buying the idea that so many Ravens players and FO folks had conflicts on the O's opening day either.

Maybe the NFL office "suggested" the Ravens players should avoid MLB events. I would not put it past them. I just don't see Mr. Bisciotti as being that vindictive. Besides, if his players or staffers had shown up his team would look like the good guys in this whole opening day mess. At the same time the O's FO should have come up with a back-up plan for the first pitch after their League at least played a role in screwing their neighbors.

I still hold the greed of the NFL, and to a lesser degree the MLB, responsible for this show of blatant disrespect to Baltimore Fandom. The World Champs should have been scheduled for a Sunday home game, plain and simple. Knowing the situation, the O's should have had a relative of Mr. Weaver's on hand for their opening day.

Once again the only people that get disappointed are the Fans of Baltimore.

Another poster mentioned that the Orioles marketing folks used to be very good at planning this kind of thing. That is very true, but since for some of the posters here those terrific events happened "before their time", maybe we shouldn't even bring them up.

It seems to me that learning about and honoring the memories of the past enhances ones enjoyment of great events happening in the present, while at the same time providing lessons to avoid mistakes and plan even greater events in the future.

I think this is a lesson to be learned by both the Ravens and the Orioles, as well as some of our terrific Fans.

As for the NFL and MLB i've pretty much given up on those greedy bastards.
    How petty.
    I don't think Bisciotti is being vindictive. He asked the Orioles for a favor and probably even offered some monetary compensation. The Orioles offered something that obviously wouldn't work, so when the Orioles asked the Ravens for a favor he told them to pound sand. I would have done the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post
    Well, it was the Orioles' Opening Day; it wasn't the Ravens' Super Bowl celebration. They already had their parade. I love the Ravens, but Friday was the Orioles' day to be in the spotlight. Why should they make it about the Ravens? It would be like throwing a big birthday party bash for your brother at the reception of your own wedding. Nice gesture, but it really isn't the time or place.
    Well the Orioles obviously did want a Raven to throw out the first pitch, but it appears the Ravens are rightfully pissed about the Orioles not helping them get a home opener. It's not like having a Raven throw out the first pitch would have made the day any less about the Orioles. Hell they spent 30 minutes introducing everyone from Buck Showalter to the locker room janitor. As I said before they have had Presidents and Aquaman throw out the first pitch in the past, and those guys have nothing to do with the Orioles.

Well, by that logic, there NEVER is a place to celebrate the Ravens accomplishments at an Os game...and vice versa.

My point being was that it would have been a great way to celebrate the good times that Baltimore fans have gone through over the last 6 months...I guess one could argue that it would have somehow diminished the Orioles day, I prefer to think it would have made it that much more special. But to each his own.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBKistler View Post
    Well, by that logic, there NEVER is a place to celebrate the Ravens accomplishments at an Os game...and vice versa.
    That's not true at all, nor is it a close representation of what I said. I said it was the Orioles' big day. In baseball, opening day is the big day for baseball. Period. There are several other playing dates that aren't the "big day". Honor another sport's accomplishments then.

Quote Originally Posted by moose10101 View Post
    Sure does, but nearly every post since mine still slammed the O's for not involving the Ravens. I guess people believe what they want to believe. Why let an official statement from the Ravens spoil their fun?
    Still, if the Orioles had done the right thing for the city and moved ONE game up a few hours to allow for the their world champion neighbors to bring in the new season the way they deserve then I am sure the Ravens would have been able to produce some players.

And yes, I've heard the sob stories about how hard it would be to travel and then play baseball at 1pm.

Still, if the Orioles had done the right thing for the city and moved ONE game up a few hours to allow for the their world champion neighbors to bring in the new season the way they deserve then I am sure the Ravens would have been able to produce some players.

And yes, I've heard the sob stories about how hard it would be to travel and then play baseball at 1pm.
    This. The fact that Bisciotti said that he was sure something could be worked out before the negotiations, and then nothing was worked out, would lead me to believe that he is rightfully pissed off. Nevermind all of the PR BS. I'm sure if the O's could have somehow managed to play a freaking baseball game a mere 13 hours after landing at the local airport you would have had any player or coach the Orioles wanted there along with the Lombardi Trophy. I think after the Pats won the Superbowl in 2002 the whole team showed up and was on the field at Fenway.

Why should the Orioles fall on the sword? If the roles were reversed would you want the Ravens to change a game time or date in the middle of a playoff race to accommodate the Orioles? And then what would you post if the Ravens lost that game and missed the playoffs by one?

If you want to blame someone, blame the NFL offices who didn't put Baltimore on the list of potential conflict games when the MLB schedule makers requested it. The NFL offices never considered Baltimore to be a team that would potentially be hosting opening night as a Super Bowl champion.

Why should the Orioles fall on the sword? If the roles were reversed would you want the Ravens to change a game time or date in the middle of a playoff race to accommodate the Orioles? And then what would you post if the Ravens lost that game and missed the playoffs by one?

If you want to blame someone, blame the NFL offices who didn't put Baltimore on the list of potential conflict games when the MLB schedule makers requested it. The NFL offices never considered Baltimore to be a team that would potentially be hosting opening night as a Super Bowl champion.
    You're comparing apples to oranges. Baseball is 162 games and they frequently reschedule since they can't put those pajamas on and play in any kind of inclement weather. It would also have been a smart business move for the Orioles to play earlier in the day. They probably would have had a sellout with Ravens fans wanting to take in a rare baseball football double header. Now they will have a sparsely attended game and poor TV ratings because everyone will be watching the Ravens. Last season the Orioles were in a thick playoff race in September and I went to a bunch of weeknight games and they were sparsely attended to say the least. It's pretty bad when you can walk up to the window and get seats right behind home plate.

Quote Originally Posted by Purpleguy View Post
    You're comparing apples to oranges. Baseball is 162 games and they frequently reschedule since they can't put those pajamas on and play in any kind of inclement weather. It would also have been a smart business move for the Orioles to play earlier in the day. They probably would have had a sellout with Ravens fans wanting to take in a rare baseball football double header. Now they will have a sparsely attended game and poor TV ratings because everyone will be watching the Ravens. Last season the Orioles were in a thick playoff race in September and I went to a bunch of weeknight games and they were sparsely attended to say the least. It's pretty bad when you can walk up to the window and get seats right behind home plate.
    +1

The right thing for the city in this case would have been to have made possible one of the coolest days in the history of Baltimore sports. Imagine - lunch by the harbor, then walk to an O's game then walk to see the Ravens open on national TV and unveil the world championship banner.

Purpleguy is right - a 1pm O's game would have likely sold out or at least been mostly full of people who took the whole day to spend in the city and attend both games. A great time would have been had by all. Instead, the O's will play to a mostly empty ballpark at 7pm.

To be blunt, I dont care who scheduled what first and I dont care what the MLB rules/bylaws state. The O's had a chance to step up and become a pillar of a great community event, and they blew it.

Quote Originally Posted by Purpleguy View Post
    You're comparing apples to oranges. Baseball is 162 games and they frequently reschedule since they can't put those pajamas on and play in any kind of inclement weather.
    Sure. The Orioles are playing 33 games in 35 days, at the end of the year and mostly against division opponents, so they should play a doubleheader in there instead and mess with the pitching rotations. Or maybe they should just strong-arm the MLB Players' Association, the Chicago White Sox, and Major League Baseball to just change the scheduled game to an earlier time, because all of those parties would also have to agree to the change. Even then, the City of Baltimore would have to be able to accommodate the increased traffic and increased police presence the area, so city officials and the police department would have to agree as well. All that would be so much easier than the NFL simply moving the game to Wednesday, like they did this past season. Yep, screw the Orioles - it's all their fault.