Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Re: High possibility Ray Lewis throws opening day first pitch for O's

The first pitch doesn't always have to be thrown out by someone affiliated with the Orioles. Many presidents have done it. Didn't Aquaman do it last year? If you want to argue the merits of that strange Weaver tribute then go ahead, but don't argue that it would be somehow inappropriate for a Raven to do it.

Since we are complaining about pregame stuff, did anyone else take an issue with the O's putting up a banner with the rest of our pennants just for making the post season last year? The O's had a great, even miraculous season last year, but they didn't win anything. Save the banners for division wins at the very least. Losers put banners up for wildcard wins.

Quote Originally Posted by downside52 View Post
    The Ravens winning the superbowl is a big deal for the entire city and certainly for sports fans in the city.

Im sorry to hear that the Orioles dont seem to think so.
    The Orioles did. They invited several Ravens; all of them said "No":

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/o...,4265535.story

Hopefully the scheduling conflicts were real.
    "This space for rent" - Roger Goodell

So what do the O's do? First the business with them scheduling games on top of the entire NFL opening weekend and being unwilling to change the time of ONE GAME out of 160+ so that the city could have the party it is entitled to in order to open the year with the superbowl champions and now this.
    You really don't understand what you're talking about here with reference to how or when a major league baseball schedule is put together, and the complexities under their CBA and league rules in changing it, do you?

The Ravens winning the superbowl is a big deal for the entire city and certainly for sports fans in the city.

Im sorry to hear that the Orioles dont seem to think so.
    I don't usually post but I was AT the game and saw the tribute they paid to the Ravens including showing highlights of the Broncos game, the Patriots game AND the Super Bowl and announced their appreciations on the field.

They handled it fine.

Earl Weaver was the biggest thing that hit this town until Cal and Ray. He won the World Series, which is as big as the Super Bowl (maybe bigger at the time).

While the honor was a bit awkward because Jim Hunter read it and he is complete crap but it was appropriate.

And the orioles honored the Ravens. But facts are messy things.

I was there also and thought the Orioles did a nice job of paying tribute to the Ravens.

Its not the Orioles job to bow down to the Ravens and have a celebration of a title for a league they don't even participate in. Its their job to be respectful and understand that many of their paying customers are also Raven fans. I thought the O's did a good job of doing that.

Honestly I just think some people look for conflict and strife even were it does not exist. Thus the belief that Ed Reed not being here has more to do with his being on Johns shitlist than money and/or declining play. For gods sake be happy....we finally have two good teams in town to root for.
    “A linebacker's job is to knock out running backs, to knock out receivers, to chase the football,”
    -Ray Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenous1 View Post
    I was there also and thought the Orioles did a nice job of paying tribute to the Ravens.

Its not the Orioles job to bow down to the Ravens and have a celebration of a title for a league they don't even participate in. Its their job to be respectful and understand that many of their paying customers are also Raven fans. I thought the O's did a good job of doing that.

Honestly I just think some people look for conflict and strife even were it does not exist. Thus the belief that Ed Reed not being here has more to do with his being on Johns shitlist than money and/or declining play. For gods sake be happy....we finally have two good teams in town to root for.
    Well said.

Listen, I know many people dissagree with most of what I write here... and some down right hate me. I bring it on myself. I'm a devils advocate and argue for the point to have a conversation.

I probably was a little harsh in my assessment. I'm not backing down on my overall opinion. I do think it should have been different. I shouldn't say "Fuck the O's". I want the O's to do well... although Angelos leaves a little to be desired as an owner. I don't feel like the O's dissed the Ravens or any of that. They have the right to honor their own.

Where I think they dropped the ball is that they fail to see the big picture. They fail to understand the entire fanbase and the city. The O's don't live in a vacuum. The same kids that come to opening day are the same kids that wear #52 to school on Fridays. We have watched this organization disregard the fan time and time again. If the Orioles missed the oportunities to get one of 3 or 4 Ravens people, then they asked too late. That's poor planning and management.

As far as Weaver goes.... I'm all for respect. I'm all for a history lesson. But, bottom line is, what they did was boring as hell. I've lived in this city and rooted for these teams for 15 years and don't know too much about or really spend much time thinking about Earl Weaver. I know what he did. That was before my time. So how many people are in the stands under 30? How many kids who never heard the name? It's just kind of boring. Organizations that shun the "now" for history are arrogant, stuffy and out of touch.
    Last edited by MinnesotaRaven; 04-05-2013 at 09:00 PM.

Honoring someone who was an important part of the team and the city has nothing to do with pleasing the fans.

You honor someone because they deserve the honor. Fuck it if some folks don't "get it". Do it anyway.

Nice job O's.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Honoring someone who was an important part of the team and the city has nothing to do with pleasing the fans.

You honor someone because they deserve the honor. Fuck it if some folks don't "get it". Do it anyway.

Nice job O's.
    My only question is: Why couldn't they do both?

Quote Originally Posted by RedSkins Fury View Post
    As far as Weaver goes.... I'm all for respect. I'm all for a history lesson. But, bottom line is, what they did was boring as hell. I've lived in this city and rooted for these teams for 15 years and don't much about or really care much about Earl Weaver. I know what he did. That was before my time. So how many people are in the stands under 30? How many kids who never heard the name? It's just kind of boring. Organizations that shun the "now" for history are arrogant, stuffy and out of touch.
    Furry i am profoundly inspired by your post. Since the 20+ years of winning Orioles baseball that I and thousands of Baltimoreans have enjoyed, (15 of which were skippered by one Earl Weaver btw) happened "before your time", and are therefore meaningless, i am going to run right the fuck out and jump off the Chesapeake Bay Bridge in your honor.
    Twenty years of Cheers.
    Thanks Baltimore Ravens Fans - You're the Best!

Quote Originally Posted by RedSkins Fury View Post
    My only question is: Why couldn't they do both?
    Weaver died.

Why should they do both? The Ravens didn't "share" Art's death yet the O'a are expected to do something different?