Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by downside52 View Post
    The Ravens winning the superbowl is a big deal for the entire city and certainly for sports fans in the city.

Im sorry to hear that the Orioles dont seem to think so.
    So the Ravens honored Art last year but when the O's want to do the same with Earl, they need to placate to the Ravens fans?

Entitlement indeed.

Re: High possibility Ray Lewis throws opening day first pitch for O's

Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post
    At the present, it is 5-4 Twins in the 6th, but the way the game is going that should change.
    Cool. Thanks.

I wish the O's could bring in Don Stanhouse so Earl could smoke a full pack up in Heaven. ;)
    Twenty years of Cheers.
    Thanks Baltimore Ravens Fans - You're the Best!

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    So the Ravens honored Art last year but when the O's want to do the same with Earl, they need to placate to the Ravens fans?

Entitlement indeed.
    :word

The O's did recognize the Ravens Super Bowl run during the pregame festivities and on the diamondvision. Jesus what more do they need to do? It's the o's opening day, I wonder if it was reversed would the Ravens acknowledge a O's WS win on their opening day?
    Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less"--GEN R. E. Lee

Quote Originally Posted by downside52 View Post
    The Ravens winning the superbowl is a big deal for the entire city and certainly for sports fans in the city.

Im sorry to hear that the Orioles dont seem to think so.
    That's your take away from this? Wow.

I didn't quite get the symbolism with the lack of first pitch. It's not like Weaver was a pitcher. They had a 20 second tribute to Earl of the jumbotron and then just show a ball on a mound. It was weird and not really a good tribute at all for the greatest manager in Oriole history. Does Earl have any kids or grandkids that could have thrown out the first pitch? I have heard people saying that the Orioles approached many Ravens about throwing out the first pitch, but they all declined. I don't know how true that is, but if it is, then maybe the Ravens harbor some resenment at the O's for only offering to move that Thursday game to an obviously unworkable 4:05 start.

It's a nice tribute. Earl Weaver made baseball in this town before Angelos shot it to hell

GRAND SLAM!!

9-5 O's. Awesome. And, I'm a Dodger fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Purpleguy View Post
    I didn't quite get the symbolism with the lack of first pitch. It's not like Weaver was a pitcher. They had a 20 second tribute to Earl of the jumbotron and then just show a ball on a mound. It was weird and not really a good tribute at all for the greatest manager in Oriole history. Does Earl have any kids or grandkids that could have thrown out the first pitch? I have heard people saying that the Orioles approached many Ravens about throwing out the first pitch, but they all declined. I don't know how true that is, but if it is, then maybe the Ravens harbor some resenment at the O's for only offering to move that Thursday game to an obviously unworkable 4:05 start.
    I thought it meant Earl was throwing out the first pitch. Ehhh... I don't know but I wouldn't feed into Ravens players dissing the O's over the first game.

http://www.masnsports.com/school_of_...medium=twitter

Also, I've heard rumblings that the pregame ceremony will include a video tribute to the Ravens, who won their second Super Bowl in February. However, I've also heard that the Orioles extended invitations to some members of the organization that were declined.
    The Orioles apparently reached out to general manager Ozzie Newsome, head coach John Harbaugh and quarterback Joe Flacco, among others, but they were unavailable.
    The Earl Weaver first pitch tribute just didn't feel genuine IMO. It's obvious that honoring Weaver with the first pitch was not their first choice. It sort of felt like the Orioles said "oh shit. We have no one to throw out the first pitch". So lets put a ball on the mound and honor Earl for the second time in a 5 minute span.

Quote Originally Posted by RedSkins Fury View Post
    I understand all of that....

I guess one of my biggest issues is that it was built up by the organization and marketing team as some big attraction. It could have been both and, arguably done even more effectively if the moment of silence came right after everyone's attention was on Harbaugh, Flacco's, or Ray's pitch.

The O's marketed this, and had people on the radio hyping this big secret. For me, my initial reaction is "it's a big letdown"... but what do I know? I'm just an irreverent heathen.

The difference between the Ravens and the O's is that the Ravens keep raising the bar as an organization, year after year.... while the O's keep doing things that not only make me scratch my head in confusion, but sometimes leave my jaw dropped open and shaking my head in disbelief.

Again, I say... Fuck the 0's
    Over react very much? What makes you think the O's should have someone from the Ravens throw out a first pitch on opening day? How many times has Tom Brady or Bellechick thrown out a first pitch for the Red Sox on opening day? How many times did Tom coughlin or Eli Manning throw out the first pitch for the Yankees on opening day?

Oh yeah, I'm sure the O's would say FUCK you.

This is a rediculas thread!
    "I don't know a man on this Earth who can outwork me". Ray Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post

Entitlement indeed.
    I tell you what - if any of us should live to see the day that the O's win another championship, I will feel the same way that the Ravens should absolutely invite a representative from the team to be an honorary captain during the coin toss of the very first game afterwards.

Entitlement and reciprocity are two different things. The Ravens did a number of things this year and in years past to honor the Orioles and the place they hold in the Baltimore sports community. How many times has Cal Ripken been an honorary captain? How about Buck Showalter? How about letting Adam Jones stand in front of the tunnel in Denver? The Ravens are good neighbors.

So what do the O's do? First the business with them scheduling games on top of the entire NFL opening weekend and being unwilling to change the time of ONE GAME out of 160+ so that the city could have the party it is entitled to in order to open the year with the superbowl champions and now this.