Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Re: High possibility Ray Lewis throws opening day first pitch for O's

Oh yeah
    Twenty years of Cheers.
    Thanks Baltimore Ravens Fans - You're the Best!

Quote Originally Posted by RedSkins Fury View Post
    Listen, I know many people dissagree with most of what I write here... and some down right hate me. I bring it on myself. I'm a devils advocate and argue for the point to have a conversation.

I probably was a little harsh in my assessment. I'm not backing down on my overall opinion. I do think it should have been different. I shouldn't say "Fuck the O's". I want the O's to do well... although Angelos leaves a little to be desired as an owner. I don't feel like the O's dissed the Ravens or any of that. They have the right to honor their own.

Where I think they dropped the ball is that they fail to see the big picture. They fail to understand the entire fanbase and the city. The O's don't live in a vacuum. The same kids that come to opening day are the same kids that wear #52 to school on Fridays. We have watched this organization disregard the fan time and time again. If the Orioles missed the oportunities to get one of 3 or 4 Ravens people, then they asked too late. That's poor planning and management.

As far as Weaver goes.... I'm all for respect. I'm all for a history lesson. But, bottom line is, what they did was boring as hell. I've lived in this city and rooted for these teams for 15 years and don't know too much about or really spend much time thinking about Earl Weaver. I know what he did. That was before my time. So how many people are in the stands under 30? How many kids who never heard the name? It's just kind of boring. Organizations that shun the "now" for history are arrogant, stuffy and out of touch.
    I was born, raised, and have lived in Baltimore for all but 2 years of my life. I loved Earl Weaver. Earl was a major part of my childhood. I found the tribute to be lame, and it was obviously a plan B since the Ravens turned them down. Earl deserved better than a plan B. Maybe the Orioles did ask the Ravens too late. Maybe the Ravens are rightfully ticked that the Orioles won't cooperate on giving the city a chance to celebrate like every other city that has earned a Superbowl. Either way, the Orioles did drop the ball and ended up with what was a half-assed tribute to Earl Weaver. In fairness, the Orioles are doing something else for Weaver later this month, but why not do it on the day when a majority of O's fans are watching on TV and in attendance?

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Weaver died.

Why should they do both? The Ravens didn't "share" Art's death yet the O'a are expected to do something different?
    They were planning to do both. The Ravens said no, so the Orioles sat a ball on the mound.

Blog Entries

I think there is too much smoke here for there to be no fire. I simply don't believe that every Ravens player of stature had a prior commitment. Harbaugh, Flacco, Lewis, etc, okay, but what about popular "B-Level" guys like Pitta, Smith, Pierce, etc. I just can't believe that, unless they only wanted one of those top guys. In the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter, though.
    back on twitter

"Well that was an appropriate last ride for Pees. A Bengals WR streaking in for a game winning touchdown in the closing minutes is the man’s preferred medium to express his art." - GreenWave52

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bhcforlife View Post
    I think there is too much smoke here for there to be no fire. I simply don't believe that every Ravens player of stature had a prior commitment. Harbaugh, Flacco, Lewis, etc, okay, but what about popular "B-Level" guys like Pitta, Smith, Pierce, etc. I just can't believe that, unless they only wanted one of those top guys. In the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter, though.
    Eh, it's their offseason, most of them are probably not in Baltimore.

Would've been nice for Flacco to do it, maybe even Reed or Torrey Smith, but whatever.

Like I said, I fully expect that we'll see a few Ravens throw out first pitches at other games this year.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

I think there are a lot better ways they could have honored Earl than this. It does seem very petty on the Orioles part.

EVERYONE expected a Superbowl Champion Raven to be on the mound.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    Eh, it's their offseason, most of them are probably not in Baltimore.

Would've been nice for Flacco to do it, maybe even Reed or Torrey Smith, but whatever.

Like I said, I fully expect that we'll see a few Ravens throw out first pitches at other games this year.
    I just don't believe they couldn't have gotten someone to come out for it for a day then head back to wherever they spend the offseason if there was no beef between the franchises. Thinking of a pool of players that could have been legitimate options to do it in my head and I just don't believe NONE of them could. Again, it doesn't really matter, and I'm sure there will be Ravens throwing out first pitches along the way this year, but there is too much here for me to believe the company lines. Just how I feel...
    back on twitter

"Well that was an appropriate last ride for Pees. A Bengals WR streaking in for a game winning touchdown in the closing minutes is the man’s preferred medium to express his art." - GreenWave52

I was there --- I was very disappointed --- Just being honest

I actually said to myself --- is that ALL--- after the 20 second video.

They could have done more for Earl OR done both and people would have been happy but it left you feeling unsatisfied

And NOBODY is going to convince me that ALL OF THESE GUYS WERE ON FRICKIN VACATION Ray/Ed/Joe/Ray Rice/T.Smith/Pitta/Suggs/Harbs/Steve B/etc.

Playing devil's advocate, what if Ravens management asked their players not to participate. What if the Ravens are still butt hurt about not being able to strongarm the O's into changing there schedule to support opening night in September.
    Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less"--GEN R. E. Lee

Quote Originally Posted by middleriverterp View Post
    Playing devil's advocate, what if Ravens management asked their players not to participate. What if the Ravens are still butt hurt about not being able to strongarm the O's into changing there schedule to support opening night in September.
    Could be. Personally I could care less how in love both franchises are with each other so long as they both win. :)
    “A linebacker's job is to knock out running backs, to knock out receivers, to chase the football,”
    -Ray Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by helloharv View Post
    I was there --- I was very disappointed --- Just being honest

I actually said to myself --- is that ALL--- after the 20 second video.

They could have done more for Earl OR done both and people would have been happy but it left you feeling unsatisfied

And NOBODY is going to convince me that ALL OF THESE GUYS WERE ON FRICKIN VACATION Ray/Ed/Joe/Ray Rice/T.Smith/Pitta/Suggs/Harbs/Steve B/etc.
    Well, Jah Reid was at the game. But I'm guessing no one wants him to throw out the first pitch.

Blog Entries

I was at the game yesterday. I was running late getting from work, and walked/ran to get into the stadium so I could be in time for the first pitch ceremony. Since the Orioles hyped keeping the first pitch participants under wraps, and made a big deal on the morning radio shows about how the first pitch honoree was a "well guarded secret", I was expecting a ceremony to honor the first World Championship in Baltimore since 2001 to match the hype. I made it about two minutes before the first pitch ceremony.

What I saw was a very lame attempt to honor Earl. It was clear to me that the Orioles were late getting their act together, and the fact the Ravens were not honored meant there was still hard feelings about the scheduling snafu. If the Orioles really wanted to honor Earl, they would have thought of bringing in his wife or other relative, long before yesterday. The Orioles used to be great at doing stuff like this---remember the last game ceremony at Memorial Stadium?

The O's marketing department and front office has a lot of work to do before they catch up with the Ravens.

They seemed unprepared yesterday, and the result was a very disappointing pre game ceremony. The Ravens seemed very gracious last year, welcoming the O's to Camden Yards, for far less significant achievements then winning a Super Bowl. They should have done more to reschedule their game in September.

If they really could not change it because of the Players association or the White Sox, then that speaks volumes about who is "running" Major league baseball these days. Letting the employees vote on when the work. Not wanting to play a kid's game for 2 1/2 hours one afternoon after a night game---too exhausting. It's no wonder baseball lost the battle to be America's pastime.

Glad the Orioles on the field were not as incompetent as their front office.