Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: High possibility Ray Lewis throws opening day first pitch for O's

I know a couple people that went to the game and they thought it was great; couldn't help but get teary eyed...

and it gives the kids some history and perspective to remember too IMO.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post
    It was something cool. It was also something that wasn't typical of every other Opening Day, where some big hoopla is made over some non-baseball star throwing out the ceremonial first pitch. And for all those kids at the game who hadn't heard of Earl Weaver? Well, they've heard of him now, and maybe gained some appreciation of the history of the Orioles.
    I understand all of that....

I guess one of my biggest issues is that it was built up by the organization and marketing team as some big attraction. It could have been both and, arguably done even more effectively if the moment of silence came right after everyone's attention was on Harbaugh, Flacco's, or Ray's pitch.

The O's marketed this, and had people on the radio hyping this big secret. For me, my initial reaction is "it's a big letdown"... but what do I know? I'm just an irreverent heathen.

The difference between the Ravens and the O's is that the Ravens keep raising the bar as an organization, year after year.... while the O's keep doing things that not only make me scratch my head in confusion, but sometimes leave my jaw dropped open and shaking my head in disbelief.

Again, I say... Fuck the 0's

I want to know what moron thought this "ball on the mound" was a great idea.

A fucking waste if you ask me.

WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012

Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post
    It will surprise a few people, but there are a lot of baseball fans that don't give a rip about football. I think what the Orioles did was completely appropriate and pretty classy for an Opening Day tribute to Earl Weaver.
    Agreed.

Earl was an Oriole and its only right that he be honored on the first Orioles opening day that he couldn't watch. The Ravens are my favorite team, hell, I'm wearing purple in Camden Yards as I type, but I understand and approve of the O's desire to honor their dead before celebrating someone else's glory.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

Quote Originally Posted by RedSkins Fury View Post
    Well, there's a clue to your objectivity on the subject. I can understand why you thought it was dumb to honor an Orioles legend on their own Opening Day instead of celebrating another sport.

And you have a right to your opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by RedSkins Fury View Post
    I understand all of that....

I guess one of my biggest issues is that it was built up by the organization and marketing team as some big attraction. It could have been both and, arguably done even more effectively if the moment of silence came right after everyone's attention was on Harbaugh, Flacco's, or Ray's pitch.

The O's marketed this, and had people on the radio hyping this big secret. For me, my initial reaction is "it's a big letdown"... but what do I know? I'm just an irreverent heathen.

The difference between the Ravens and the O's is that the Ravens keep raising the bar as an organization, year after year.... while the O's keep doing things that not only make me scratch my head in confusion, but sometimes leave my jaw dropped open and shaking my head in disbelief.

So fuck the O's because you want to throw a hissy fit because one of the Ravens didn't throw out the first pitch? I seen something on Orioles hangout where they had asked Flacco but he declined due to prior commitment.

Its one game of 81 there will be other opportunities for a Raven to throw out the first pitch.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

was a unique, classy gesture...

Quote Originally Posted by middleriverterp View Post
    I love the Ravens, I am a season ticket holder, but the sense of entitlement some fans think the Ravens own is beyond me.
    Totally agree.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    Tribute to Earl to show how with him gone, something's missing.
    Whatev' ... nice thought on the O's part but rather, um... subtle

Hope they had a Jumbotron puppet show to explain the symbolism to the beered-up masses.

I'm glad they honored Earl.
    Didn't even think of that one, but the man definitely deserved the honor.

Anyways ... what's the score?
    Twenty years of Cheers.
    Thanks Baltimore Ravens Fans - You're the Best!

Quote Originally Posted by Real Fan Dan View Post
    Anyways ... what's the score?
    At the present, it is 5-4 Twins in the 6th, but the way the game is going that should change.

The Ravens winning the superbowl is a big deal for the entire city and certainly for sports fans in the city.

Im sorry to hear that the Orioles dont seem to think so.