Thread: Nico Johnson?

Blog Entries

Nico Johnson?

I'm working on a write up for him, but I could see the Ravens possibly looking at him as a mid-to-late round draft pick. Good run defender. Excellent size. Lacking in coverage, but if they are in the market for a 2-down LB, which I believe they are among other LBs, then I could see Nico being targeted by Ozzie.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Re: Nico Johnson?

I wouldn't mind him as a 4th rounder, but again, I'm not sure if a 2 down LB is what we need at this point when we have guys like McClellan and McClain on the roster. I'd rather see us drafting a couple of coverage type players to compliment what we already have.

Yeah, t is possible. But I have to ask two related questions about him in order to feel good about taking him in the draft:

1) What does he bring to the table that enhances the ILB corp and,

2) Can't we instead find that in another UDFA?

For several years now, folks have noted that RB's are increasingly not worth a high draft pick because they are so interchangeable and they do not last long in the league. We are talking now of having no 1st round RB's picked this year with the reason being that there are none that can both bang inside and be deceptive outside. When you see the success of the likes of Alfred Morris and Arian Foster, you have to reassess what makes a RB special in the league and note that probably you can find those qualities in day 3 or with the undrafted category.

ILBs are less talked about but they are in a similar position as RB's. Given the success the Ravens have had with UDFA ILBs, the team needs to find something special in a ILB high draft pick in order to draft him. Special as in 3 down capability, and/or leadership qualities: something that makes them stand out beyond their size, weight, and speed. IMO that is why for at least three years when the team, draftnicks, us fans, TV airheads: everybody could tell that Ray Lewis was winding down and said that the team needed to draft a ILB "Ray's replacement"- the team each year has not done so. And while there have been decent free agent ILBs on the market like Brad Jones, the team has not made an effort to sign them. Ozzie and Co have become adept at finding players with the physical characteristics they need out of the position in the late rounds or undrafted and teaching them how to play effectively. And even if the Ravens pick an ILB high or on day 2 of this draft, McClellan, Bynes and possibly McClain, all three UDFAs, will figure prominently in the defense next year.

Or to put this another way, with opposing teams' offenses using 11 and 12 packages (just one RB) so much of the time, then without Ray always being out there, they can afford to be flexible and have 5 DB's and a front 6-like they did most of the time against Denver in the playoffs. The 5 DB's are for all the receivers going out on coverage and we need to have safeties who can cover so Michael Huff was a good addition.

That leaves the team with a front 6, which will have 2 or 3 DL's (against Denver it was just two DL's-Ngata and one other and hopefully we can have more flexibility this year) then two rush OLBs (Suggs and Dumervil who is replacing Kruger). That leaves one or two places for ILB's and it would really help if those ILB's can cover so the team can disguise it's defense a bit. That the team prioritized the DL so much in free agency suggests that the team could go with just one ILB if they don't find a decent coverage ILB...Arthur Brown for instance.

I know I am being long-winded and I am not by any means the state of the art talent scout, but from what I have read Nico Johnson brings nothing to the Ravens that they don't already have. Please tell me though if I am wrong. I would guess then that the Ravens will look at Nico and say the end of round 5 at the earliest and that another team will take him before then.

In summary, I just said in several paragraphs what Beast said in 2 sentences. ;)

Idk, and it's not that he isnt a good player, but you would think with McClellan and Bynes ascending and McClain not needing surgery and looking like a go that one of those guys could fill that 2 down thumper role. I think whoever we add in this draft has to be able to be an coverage upgrade, at the same time maybe you address other needs earlier, draft a guy like Nico later if you do feel he's an uprade versus the run and take a nickel LB later to play on 3rd downs. I just feel like where the game is going now it's time to evolve with the position and get people comfortable in space on the field nearly every down, especially since we have nobody that can cover at this point.

Blog Entries

Ok.

After re-watching some tape...not interested in Nico Johnson anymore.

He does two things that I really hate to see from a linebacker.
    1. He goes backwards. He doesn't explode forward toward the ball carrier. He gets pushed off the LOS way too easily.
    2. He doesn't shed blocks or fill the gap. He seems to want to run around blockers and tackle ball carriers from behind.

He is not a hard-nosed player at all. I'd rather keep McClellan and Bynes.

After watching that tape, I am surprised that more people aren't thinking he will go undrafted.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

CJ Mosley. 2014! Nico Johnson is a JAG on a heavily talented Nick Saban defense.

Blog Entries

I keep telling you guys that the board is far more concerned with having coverage ILBs than the coaching staff.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

I heard one of the guys who does the Alabama radio broadcasts interviewed about the prospects. He was very down on Nico Johnson. Mosely he thinks will be the next big Alabama linebacker. Johnson he said would have a very difficult time in the NFL. The guy he was highest on for this draft was Jesse Williams who he said was the strongest player in the history of the school by a lot.