Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries

T-Minus 14 Days...Draft Predictions

Not just for Ravens...predictions in general.

I think the Top 5 is getting a little more set in stone. Seems pretty likely that Joeckel goes to Chiefs, and I'm hearing more and more buzz about Geno Smith to Jaguars. Shariff Floyd to Raiders, Eric Fisher to Eagles, Ziggy Ansah to Lions.

If I had to guess what the Ravens do, given our FA moves...I see trading down as most likely move right now. Most of our glaring needs have a capable FA who can fill in now, so I see less need to press on any certain guy who might be pretty good, but not great value.

And Terron Armstead is still the one guy I really hope we come away from this draft with.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Blog Entries

Re: T-Minus 14 Days...Draft Predictions

Tavon Austin falls into the 20's. I predicted that Courtney Upshaw would fall last year. I'm calling Austin this year.

Everybody can't go in the first round. Up until the draft, we'll hear about 50 names of guys who might not make it out of the first round. There are only 32 spots. Nobody is going to take a glorified SCAT Back that high, when they have to figure out how to 'creatively' use him. They're too lazy and dumb. That's why certain teams continue to pick high in the round. They would rather take a guy that they can plug into one spot and call it a day. Austin will come to Baltimore and, with Torrey taking the double team, will wreak havoc the likes of which we've never seen before.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

There seems to be a bunch of Wide Receivers that are being pushed up into round 1. One of them is going to fall to #32. That's where I think Ozzie goes.

My prediction?

PAIN :T2:
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Yeah, it is an interesting group of WR's, a nice variety. The little burner in Austin, Patterson who runs better after the catch than before (RAW), Hopkins and Allen-budding Boldin Jr's., nice package of everything except hands in Hunter... I'd like Hopkins or Allen but who knows if they will be there when we pick.

Another variable in this draft is the # of QBs going in round 1. How's this for a wild scenario of QB armegeddon? I think that number depends on who jumps back into round 1 from the top of round 2. I'll say FOUR QBs taken by Bills, Cards, Jets and a wild card team-the Raiders!

1) The first is Geno to the Cards who are very happy that the Jags did not take him. It starts a run....
    2) Nassib goes to the Bills (and I think he'll turn out best of the QBs)
    3) J-E-T-S then panic and pick....Barkley to a CASCADE of boos in Radio City. Can't wait!
    4) A little quiet till the end of round 1 and then the Radiers jump the Jags, move into the 1st round to take Manuel
    5) ...leaving the Jags to wait till round 2 to take a QB...Glennon.

Yes! STUPID AS ALL GET OUT! But there is a reason why these teams are at the top of the draft!

NE trades out of 1 to get draft picks. 9ers trade UP to get Carradine.
    Last edited by ursula; 04-11-2013 at 10:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post
    My prediction?

PAIN :T2:

I wish we could rec posts here cause this is priceless!

My bold prediction: We give up a little to move up 10 spots and grab Austin...book it
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Blog Entries

I think a move up is more likely now than it was a few weeks ago. A bit more flexibility.

Blog Entries

Need some help on this...name the times Ozzie has traded up in the 1st round...

2009 Oher
    2008 Flacco? (Technically, we traded down, then traded back up)
    2006 Ngata (1 spot)
    2003 Boller (Traded a 2nd rounder to move up for our 2nd pick in the draft)

He doesn't do it often, and I'd point to Oher as the evidence that it doesn't usually work out great. But Ngata and Flacco were technically trade ups...I'd still put the chances at very slim, since in 17 drafts, Ozzie has only made a big trade up twice (I don't count Flacco because we traded down first, and I don't count Ngata because it was only one spot)
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post

2009 Oher
    2006 Ngata (1 spot)

He doesn't do it often, and I'd point to Oher as the evidence that it doesn't usually work out great. But Ngata and Flacco were technically trade ups...I'd still put the chances at very slim, since in 17 drafts, Ozzie has only made a big trade up twice (I don't count Flacco because we traded down first, and I don't count Ngata because it was only one spot)
    I do not think Ozzie will trade up in round 1. I believe he's more comfortable trading down and having more 2nd/3rd round picks... then using his mid/late round extras to move up in the 2nd/3rd/4th rounds.
    As to your Oher remark, I think he would be an excellent RT now if the Ravens hadn't yanked him around from RT to LT and back again... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post

2009 Oher
    2006 Ngata (1 spot)

Don't forget Travis Taylor. We traded 15,45 to move up to 10.

Blog Entries

You just never know, but its very very unlikely that Ozzie will trade up in this draft. There are no elite, stand out "can't miss" type prospects in this class to trade up for IMO. I think its likely that Ozzie will trade down and acquire an extra 4th round pick.

Besides, in this particular draft, there is so much more value to be had from rounds 2 to 4.

For arguments sake:

38. DeAndre Hopkins (Would compete for the X WR spot)
    62. DJ Swearinger (Would compete for the SS spot)
    94. Travis Kelce (Would compete with Dickson for the TE spot, allowing Pitta to play in the slot)
    103. David Quessenberry (Would compete with Gino for the starting C job, would also provide depth at guard and tackle)
    129. AJ Klein (Would push for playing time at ILB, while providing much needed depth, eventual starter for sure)
    130. Joe Kruger (Would provide depth at OLB and DE, could come in for certain packages)