Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 51
  1. #31

    Re: Q Gives His Take on Mutiny-Gate



    I wish Boldin and Pollard were still on the team.Boldin would have been a FA after this next season so they would just had to have juggled the cap for 2013, and they could have drafted a SS this upcoming draft as a future replacement for Pollard. One thing you can say about those two is that every time they stepped on the field you knew that they were going to give you everything they had.




  2. #32

    Re: Q Gives His Take on Mutiny-Gate

    Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    I don't think your second sentence is necessarily true.

    Two things are bothersome enough to complain about, to me.

    First, while columnist are allowed to have opinions, it crosses the line when they come up with speculation, and then in a later story treat the speculation as fact.

    The idea that Harbaugh was upset by Pollard, and so upset that he cut him for his outspoken nature, is speculation, not fact. You can't go to Pollard and present it as fact in order to get a quote out of him, and then use the quote to further create the illusion that they are reporting fact.

    I have to believe they've hurt Pollard reputation around the league...based on what? And maybe they've hurt Harbaugh's too, if players who might want to come here start believing that Harbaugh's locker room is divisive and he cuts guys he doesn't like.

    Maybe that's overblown, and maybe there's no reason to get upset, but if I were in the shoes of Harbaugh or Pollard, I wouldn't be happy.
    I have to disagree again.

    I think speculation is part of forming your opinion and thus, opinion pieces. They are hired to do so. As long as they aren't pulling facts out of their ass, and the conclusions are logical, I don't have a problem with it. The "mutiny" stuff that Florio has brought up has never actually been presented as fact...he is going off what his sources have told him and what looks logical based on what happened. It is not illogical to come to his conclusion and I don't think it's wrong for him to present it as what he believes.

    As for Pollard...well, I think a lot more of his reputation damage has to do with him being run out of town 3 times in 7 years and his play on the field than this nonsense. He got a job in less than a week of being cut. I'm sure he is pissed and probably is looking at this as a reason for him not getting the deal he wanted, but even if that stuff never happened, I find it hard to believe that a team would lock itself into a deal longterm for a guy who has obviously not been a favorite of 3 head coaches in that short of a period of time.

    In no way am I saying he shouldn't be upset, but I also don't think it means much as players find any and every reason to be upset at their former teams after being cut. Maybe next time he shouldn't be in the words of a former teammate who put their name next to their quote..."unprofessional" when taking issue with stuff from his coach.

    As for Harbaugh...I don't think he cares. This is not harming his reputation and as the offseason has worn on, players are extremely happy to come and play here and for him. He doesn't care, he wanted him out, and he got what he wanted...and as long as we pay guys, they will come here because Harbaugh is a proven winner. There are a lot more coaches who have done a lot worse to players but still have players respect and they want to play for...the guy in New England, Parcells, Coughlin, etc...hell his brother as well.

    I've seen nothing...nothing to suggest that this will affect players opinion of Harbaugh as supported by the free agents that we've gone after coming here. As for Pollard's feelings and reputation, I don't care, he isn't a Raven anymore. I wish him the best, but I am not shedding a tear for the guy.

    JMHO.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.




  3. #33
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Stevensville, MD
    Posts
    1,587

    Re: Q Gives His Take on Mutiny-Gate

    Never get in a fight with a pig; you both get muddy, and the pig likes it...





  4. #34
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,545
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Q Gives His Take on Mutiny-Gate

    Who cares if they are opinion writers or reporters, if they put something out there in print, they should be subject to the scrutiny it deserves.

    Some of you guys get so defensive about perceiving people to be so defensive




  5. #35

    Re: Q Gives His Take on Mutiny-Gate

    Quote Originally Posted by alienrace View Post
    Who cares if they are opinion writers or reporters, if they put something out there in print, they should be subject to the scrutiny it deserves.

    Some of you guys get so defensive about perceiving people to be so defensive
    You call it scrutiny, some call it whining.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.




  6. #36
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    27,496
    Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    You call it scrutiny, some call it whining.
    yup

    People expect PFT to be journalism and nothing more. It's very own header says its a news AND rumor site.

    So when folks get uptight when they talk about the rumor du jour and apply journalistic standards, I just laugh.

    I've been reading PFT since its inception. Florio is very well connected, more so than the ESPN talking heads and has been very accurate when his stories are reporting on news.

    I think most fans simply read the Ravens stuff and not the rest. If they read all of his stuff (and his writers), they'd realize he's just as fair (or unfair) to the 31 other teams.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  7. #37
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    8,172
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Q Gives His Take on Mutiny-Gate

    When I first saw "Q Gives His Take on Mutiny", I thought it was about Captain Queeg and the Caine Mutiny... Bc




  8. #38

    Re: Q Gives His Take on Mutiny-Gate

    Guys like Preston and Florio who are "opinion" writers, rumor mongers or columnists are OK if that's all they do. The problem occurs when places like The Sporting News, hire guys like Preston to be their reporter for the team. Mike Preston was/is that guy for the Sporting news so he goes from being an opinion guy, to being the guy who is supposedly representing the truth and the line gets blurred and that becomes a problem.




  9. #39
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    San Dimas, CA
    Posts
    7,790

    Re: Q Gives His Take on Mutiny-Gate

    Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    Those vets know more football than HARBs and his staff put together
    No, they don't.




  10. #40
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    31,830
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    They actually started winning against the Giants where Oher started at LT. The line wasn't shifted until the Colts game.
    Shh...

    Sent from my DROID X2 using Forum Runner
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger



    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




  11. #41
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    San Dimas, CA
    Posts
    7,790

    Re: Q Gives His Take on Mutiny-Gate

    Quote Originally Posted by Iscull View Post
    One of the many reasons I really like Boldin. 100% class act. Really can't say anything bad about the guy.
    I've heard him speak and the guy is a complete class act. However, in the March 6, 2013 edition of ESPN Magazine (pre-trade), he was asked this and responded:

    You've said you'd rather retire than go to another team. You really mean that?

    I'm not playing for money. I'm not chasing a championship. I don't play for individual accolades. I'm set. There's nothing else I have to prove.

    http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/90...-espn-magazine

    If he was really set and not playing for the money, and loved playing for Baltimore, then why didn't he just take the pay cut? It's obvious that the Ravens were not trying to rid themselves of him, or they wouldn't have given him that option. His actions just don't seem to match his comment, which is somewhat surprising.




  12. #42
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    31,830
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post
    I've heard him speak and the guy is a complete class act. However, in the March 6, 2013 edition of ESPN Magazine (pre-trade), he was asked this and responded:

    You've said you'd rather retire than go to another team. You really mean that?

    I'm not playing for money. I'm not chasing a championship. I don't play for individual accolades. I'm set. There's nothing else I have to prove.

    http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/90...-espn-magazine

    If he was really set and not playing for the money, and loved playing for Baltimore, then why didn't he just take the pay cut? It's obvious that the Ravens were not trying to rid themselves of him, or they wouldn't have given him that option. His actions just don't seem to match his comment, which is somewhat surprising.
    People say lots of things without thinking. He was probably under them impression that the Ravens were going to extend him.

    Sent from my DROID X2 using Forum Runner
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger



    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




  13. #43
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    13,453
    Blog Entries
    5

    Re: Q Gives His Take on Mutiny-Gate

    Pollard reminds me of Johnny Sample the DB the Baltimore Colts let go. He wasn't the greatest cover guy in the world but was a hard hitter and gave 100%. Problem was his criminal side. He stole stuff out of the players lockers which is why they let him go but the Colts owner didn't want to cut him because he feared he would bite him in the ass later on and he did but he had no choice.

    AFter complaints, the owner hired a midget and hid him in the ventalator shaft and he caught Sample red handed - pics and all. So Rosey met with the team captains with the evidence and said I don't want to cut him so this is on you guys.

    Gino waid the hell it isn't. He could speak up because Rosey loved him like a son and set him up in business. Gino said it's your decision and the team will go along with whatever you say. So Rosey cut him and his worse fear came true.

    After he fired Weeb, the Jets hired him and Weeb quickly signed Sample who was their SB3 hero. He bit us in the ass just like Rosey said he would.

    During the pre-game practices of SB 3 Sample walked up to Unitas and said not today big guy, you're not going to pull it out today. John said, do you still have my watch you stole out of my locker? LOL.

    Twenty five years later they had the anniversary party of SB3 and played a game of touch in Central Park, NY. Sample walked by and Unitas flipped him the ball and said you're back on the team. Sample broke down and cried.

    After that Sample went to prison for stealing social security checks.

    Like Rosey I fear that Pollard will bite us in the ass by knocking Torrey or Jacoby out of the game for TEnn and keep us from winning the SB, just like he did to Gronk.

    Oh yea, Sample said Colts would have won SB3 if Shula had started Unitas in just the 2d half but like HARBs, Shula had a point to prove and it cost him the SB.
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 04-03-2013 at 10:37 PM.




  14. #44

    Re: Q Gives His Take on Mutiny-Gate

    Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    Pollard reminds me of Johnny Sample the DB the Baltimore Colts let go. He wasn't the greatest cover guy in the world but was a hard hitter and gave 100%. Problem was his criminal side. He stole stuff out of the players lockers which is why they let him go but the Colts owner didn't want to cut him because he feared he would bite him in the ass later on and he did but he had no choice.

    AFter complains, the owner hired a midget and hid him in the ventalator shaft and he caught Sample red handed - pics and all. So Rosey met with the team captains with the evidence and said I don't want to cut him so this is on you guys.

    Gino waid the hell it isn't. He could speak up because Rosey loved him like a son and set him up in business. Gino said it's your decision and the team will go along with whatever you say. So Rosey cut him and his worse fear came true.

    After he fired Weeb, the Jets hired him and Weeb quickly signed Sample who was their SB3 hero. He bit us in the ass just like Rosey said he would.

    During the pre-game practices of SB 3 Sample walked up to Unitas and said not today big guy, you're not going to pull it out today. John said, do you still have my watch you stole out of my locker? LOL.

    Twenty five years later they had the anniversary party of SB3 and played a game of touch in Central Park, NY. Sample walked by and Unitas flipped him the ball and said you're back on the team. Sample broke down and cried.

    After that Sample went to prison for stealing social security checks.

    Like Rosey I fear that Pollard will bite us in the ass by knocking Torrey or Jacoby out of the game for TEnn and keep us from winning the SB, just like he did to Gronk.

    Oh yea, Sample said Colts would have won SB3 if Shula had started Unitas in just the 2d half but like HARBs, Shula had a point to prove and it cost him the SB.
    LOL.

    Fortunately the likelyhood of that happening is minuscule based on the fact that Pollard signed for one year with the Titans and we won't play them unless we both make the playoffs.

    And this isn't 1968...having to cover in today's game is a hell of a lot more important now than it was then.

    Good grief...some of this whining about Pollard is totally out of control.

    Oh, and BTW, Harbs hasn't made any decisions that cost us the Super Bowl so I have no idea where you are going with that.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.




  15. #45
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    2,533
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Q Gives His Take on Mutiny-Gate

    Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post
    I've heard him speak and the guy is a complete class act. However, in the March 6, 2013 edition of ESPN Magazine (pre-trade), he was asked this and responded:

    You've said you'd rather retire than go to another team. You really mean that?

    I'm not playing for money. I'm not chasing a championship. I don't play for individual accolades. I'm set. There's nothing else I have to prove.

    http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/90...-espn-magazine

    If he was really set and not playing for the money, and loved playing for Baltimore, then why didn't he just take the pay cut? It's obvious that the Ravens were not trying to rid themselves of him, or they wouldn't have given him that option. His actions just don't seem to match his comment, which is somewhat surprising.
    I don't think it's surprising. He changed his mind. He made a statement during an emotional moment, and later made a more rational decision.

    I don't doubt he loved playing here. He's been a Raven his whole career...he just was in the wrong uniform. But in the end this is his job. He gets paid to play. If he can make more money elsewhere, he's not taking advantage of what his talent provides for him.




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland