Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: Tavon Austin participating in local Ravens pro day

They'd have to move up to the 12-15 range to for sure get Austin. I don't see Ozzie moving that far up.

Quote Originally Posted by rd1z View Post
    They'd have to move up to the 12-15 range to for sure get Austin. I don't see Ozzie moving that far up.
    I think the only chance might be to see if they could get th Panther's pick at 14. They have a lot of needs and might be willing to deal, but the way everbody is talking, Austin might be gone by then.

Wherever he goes, I hope he does well repesenting Baltimore City. Dunbar is a good program, but not too many NFL football players come out of the Baltimore City Public Schools.

Quote Originally Posted by NC Raven View Post
    Agreed. I like Fuller's potential, but 4th round, even late 4th, strikes me as a reach. He ought to be available at the end of the 5th, at minimum.

Since he'd be yet another developmental WR (and we already have a few) the Ravens are probably going to need him to fall into their laps to take him above the 6th round, though they may -- that late -- swap some picks and take him early-mid 6th if he's there.

I've been naysaying on Austin as a Raven, mainly because I don't see where he plays in the offense as currently constructed, or what role he would have had in previous Caldwell/Manning offenses. That said, I take Caldwell to be the Anti-Cam, and would immediately suspect that a move for Austin means a change in the offense, which I would support if the Ravens are willing to go that route. But I will believe it when I see it. No way Austin falls within striking distance for Oz. More likely the Ravens are doing their part to up the ante on him and hope a rival overpays to snag him. You could certainly see Pitt (with Wallace gone) or NE (with Welker gone) giving up a pick somewhere to make sure they get him.
    maybe I'm higher on Autin then most, but I fail to see how he would struggle to fit in ANY offense with a credible coordinator, I think his short area quickness and change of direction are only rivaled by Devin Hester, and that may even be Devin Hester from a few years ago. If it were not for the stigma associated with a 160 pond WR, he would quite possible go #1 overall in this weak class. I think he makes whatever team that drafts him MUCH better and MUCH more explosive on offense.

For example, here, I think he immediately becomes the punt returner, slot receiver, and may even see some third downs in the backfield. I think the routes that are ideal for him involve crossing the field, catching the ball in space and turning up field.

But to whomever said it, YES, LT is a bigger need. But WR does need some more talent injected. As Stinger said, we have a lot of middling, mediocre depth with only Torrey with "starpower".

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    maybe I'm higher on Autin then most, but I fail to see how he would struggle to fit in ANY offense with a credible coordinator, I think his short area quickness and change of direction are only rivaled by Devin Hester, and that may even be Devin Hester from a few years ago. If it were not for the stigma associated with a 160 pond WR, he would quite possible go #1 overall in this weak class. I think he makes whatever team that drafts him MUCH better and MUCH more explosive on offense.

For example, here, I think he immediately becomes the punt returner, slot receiver, and may even see some third downs in the backfield. I think the routes that are ideal for him involve crossing the field, catching the ball in space and turning up field.

But to whomever said it, YES, LT is a bigger need. But WR does need some more talent injected. As Stinger said, we have a lot of middling, mediocre depth with only Torrey with "starpower".
    I've been on the Austin train since the middle of the season.

It's crazy because as little as 2 months ago, there was debate as to whether he is worth a 1st round pick at all and now he is likely a top 15-20 pick.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

Don't believe the hype, he'll fall.

At the end of the day, he's still a 5' 8" 160 slot WR/ scat back who is 'unlikely to stay healthy' at the pro level, and there are still enough dumb asses picking in the top half of the first to let him fall to the twenties, where the Ravens have the picks to pounce.

Nobody is passing out a mega contract to a slot WR/ scat back in FA and no one is taking one that high in the draft.

The Ravens don't need another Boldin and, at the moment, the coaching staff probably doesn't want another Boldin, for this reason: The one thing that Boldin didn't do is separate from defenders. That's all Tavon Austin does. He's like Welker, Sproles and deep threat all wrapped in one. This guy would feast, with Torrey eating the double.
    Last edited by The Excellector; 04-04-2013 at 06:50 PM.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    Don't believe the hype, he'll fall.