Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Re: Rumor: Harbs wanted Reed gone

Quote Originally Posted by RavensRule21215 View Post
    For me, when I heard Harbaugh quoted as having said: "We didn't come this far to play not to lose", I believe he'd really evolved as a head coach. I wasn't really high -- or low -- on him. I felt he was a better coach than a speaker in pressers, and that was okay with me. But once I heard him say what I believe is the master key to winning in the NFL, I put any other questions aside and concluded he's the kind of coach I want running the Ravens.
    ^This. I remember when Billick was fired I started hearing that he told his players before games sometimes "yea lets play not to lose this one". What the hell? Harbaugh is in every game to win. After we lost to the Broncos and were on a three game losing streak, Harbaugh looked like he hadn't slept single hour. He was most likely up day and night bettering his schemes and figuring out ways to get back to winning.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rd1z View Post
    Mike Preston and Skip Bayless use the same playbook.
    Which is printed on paper that comes in rolls, with perforations, for each to add his personal, shall we say, fragrant content....

Blog Entries

For me, when I heard Harbaugh quoted as having said: "We didn't come this far to play not to lose", I believe he'd really evolved as a head coach. I wasn't really high -- or low -- on him. I felt he was a better coach than a speaker in pressers, and that was okay with me. But once I heard him say what I believe is the master key to winning in the NFL, I put any other questions aside and concluded he's the kind of coach I want running the Ravens.
    I didn't catch that quote, but I'll hazard a guess that he said that either during the postseason or at the end of the season when the team's collective back was to the wall, amirite?

He hasn't "evolved" at all. He's played things the same way since the beginning: Play carefully & close to the vest--i.e., not to lose--during the long haul of the regular season, & count on your coaches & personnel being good enough to win more than you lose. Do that & at worst you finish 9-7, which gets you a ticket to the dance more often than not, while minimizing the chances of getting your key players hurt.

But when it's "win or go home"--in the playoffs or in a late-season mad scramble--only the arrogant or foolish would play "not to lose."

I'm not knocking this approach. Au contraire--I think it's smart football, as much as it makes Crow fans tear their collective hair-weaves out during the season. But it's not a sign of "evolution"--it's the same approach he's used from Day 1.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    Laughable. Guy masterfully steered this team to 5 straight playoff runs, 3 AFC Championship games, a fucking SUPER BOWL, the second highest active winning percentage (and 11th highest all time) and you blithely suggest that it's because he's what? Lucky?

And replaceable? Give me a fucking break.

The little General should have won all those championship games and more with all the talent Ozzie gave him. It took that talent via a revolt to convince the owner to get rid of CAM. Hell it took Ray, Reed and Birk to beg Ozzie to sign McKinney and the General still didn't play him til after the revolt. Then they started winning straight thru the SB. Then he ships them out in body bags. Ray should have a least 2 more rings under HARBs. That makes him replaceable. Hell, we ran Shula out of town for blowing SB 3 just to prove a point.
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 04-03-2013 at 05:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spider Webb View Post
    Are you fucking kidding me? In the Super Bowl he told Ed Reed the exact play that the 49ers were about to call the play before Ed got his interception. Lo and behold Ed Reed gets a pic.
    And then on 2nd down on the final goal line stand (Kaepernick's roll out), he wanted Pees to call another zero blitz, which would have been the worst possible play call for the defense. So what?

I don't believe decisions like this are made by one person or in a vacuum. The truth is the Ravens wanted Reed gone. They did it as softly as they could, but the results are the same. He is with another team. It had more to do with his declining ability to play at a high level vs. the money they were willing to offer him to stay. It had more to do with the future blueprint of the team and not a locker room incident. HOF players that are playing at a high level are not let go or allowed to walk because of a single incident. That would be stupid management of personnel. The Ravens really never made Reed an offer to return. They were just monitoring the situation. Once Ed received an offer from the Texans, the Ravens probably advised him to take it stating that they couldn't come close to matching it. As simple as that sounds, that is probably what really happened.

Harbaugh, in his first five seasons, is on pace for a HoF career.

Yet he's knocked for doing what 75% of all head coaches do -- not call plays.

Effing ponderous.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post

Effing ponderous.
    And there is consistently thrown around this assumption that he doesn't know Xs and Os and doesn't get involved in schemes or game plans. I think he's a lot more involved than people think. He defers to his coordinators, whose heads are more in the game on their side of the ball, just like Art and Steve have deferred to Ozzie on draft day cause he knows better who is worth what. The guy has known nothing but success and when they hit their first slide under his tenure, what did he do? Pull it together and win a championship. During that slide a good many people on this board predicted his shitcanning and when I asked if they thought Tomlin was looking at a dismissal too the answer was "Ridiculous". Hell there are probably STILL people that would trade Harbs for Tomlin. Now, Harbs is safe for a good long time. Billick got 4 bad-mediocre years, a very good year and then a really bad year after his SB and he didn't build up a lot of winning capital before that. So we can say Harbs has 5 years to keep winning and I think he will. If Pitt goes .500 or less how hot is Tomlin's seat and why does he get credit for his early success and not his late failures?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Spider Webb View Post
    Are you fucking kidding me? In the Super Bowl he told Ed Reed the exact play that the 49ers were about to call the play before Ed got his interception. Lo and behold Ed Reed gets a pic.

Some of y'all on this thread right now are delusional. 3 AFC Championship games in 5 years and a Super Bowl and he isn't even the best coach in his own family? AFTER he beat his brother in the Super Bowl? Come on man stop being ignorant. Harbaugh is the best coach in Ravens history (I know it's a short history) and he lives in the playoffs. He's not a scout, yet he fits his players into the schemes provided by his coaches.

The point is, once they decided to move on from Billick there seemed to be a strategy put in place, modeled after other successful franchises. The first, and most important, was to draft a franchise quarterback. They struck gold with Flacco. Then they hired a coach who was a motivator and strategist but not necessarily a tactician. He delegated those responsibilities to his coordinators, whose jobs were to gameplan and call plays. In that regard, he's no different than a mid level manager at any Fortune 500 company. He has authority, but before he makes a call he has to get approval first, because they have to make sure it fits with corporate direction and goals. He's given the staffing and support from the people above him, and results are expected. In that regard he is not irreplaceable.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post

Effing ponderous.
    My biggest gripe has been that lack of killer instinct and situational play calling. So I was in utter shock when he done the fake punt, didnt think he had the balls for it. Great call. He also went for a couple more fourth downs which I like to see. Just the timeout issue to sort if the trend on the other areas continue.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie_uk View Post
    My biggest gripe has been that lack of killer instinct and situational play calling. So I was in utter shock when he done the fake punt, didnt think he had the balls for it. Great call. He also went for a couple more fourth downs which I like to see. Just the timeout issue to sort if the trend on the other areas continue.
    My biggest issue with Harbaugh has been his choice of coordinators, mainly Mattison and Cameron, but also Rossburg and Moeller. Mattison was gone relatively quickly. Cameron, not so quickly. The other issue is his temperament. It appears as if, at times, he is not always able to play well with others -- players AND coaches. Now he's got pretty much his hand picked players and coaches. This year will be a very important one in the John Harbaugh legacy.

My biggest issue with Harbaugh has been his choice of coordinators, mainly Mattison and Cameron, but also Rossburg and Moeller. Mattison was gone relatively quickly. Cameron, not so quickly. The other issue is his temperament. It appears as if, at times, he is not always able to play well with others -- players AND coaches. Now he's got pretty much his hand picked players and coaches. This year will be a very important one in the John Harbaugh legacy.
    I agree with you to an extent.

Cam should have been gone the season prior but the labor mess saved him.

But Pagano was a damn good pick so his choices have not been all bad. And don't agree with you about Moeller and am always curious why folks mention his name. Typically, fans throw him under the bus for his disease but that seems to be where the debate ends for some.

The O line played good to very good as the season wore on. Flacco was well protected and Rice had a pretty good regular season.