Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Re: Rumor: Harbs wanted Reed gone

Quote Originally Posted by rlh445 View Post
    PFT + Mike Preston = Bullshit.
    PFT + Preston = Amusement, plain and simple. As long as you don't get caught up in the backwash, and take it as gospel, it's entertaining. The problem is...when it gets regurgitated into the national media streams, some people don't understand that Preston is...well, Preston.

The more you click on and discuss PFT articles, the longer they'll be around.

I stopped reading PFT some time ago. Looks like I'm not missing much.
    BTW: Obryski's at the airport does have some great crab cakes! (I flew through Balt last Thur and Sunday)

I am always amused when these roster moves, that some can twist into controversial, always go back to the coach making the decision for whatever reason. Rarely, if ever, do these conspiracies bring up Ozzie, who is the guy actually in charge of personnel.
    Classic Preston pot stirring, (which is why I never read him) and PFT rumor mongering (which is why I don't read them). At least Preston is smart enough to know he can't go after Ozzie in his pot stirring. If Harbs keeps up his winning, Preston will have to leave him out of the pot stirring as well.

Blog Entries

I love that the PFT article about the comments are about 3 times as long as the comments themselves.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    I totally disagree and this off season proves it's about letting Ozzie do his thing and not what the fans think, even in small part.

Ray was brought back numerous times because he was valuable to the team and we were able to keep him at the right price. You also have to factor in his leadership on the field. Being the play caller on defense affords you more leverage that most.

Reed, to some extent, the same, but when his price shot up thanks to free agency, they let him walk and he's a tremendous fan favorite. Likewise to Boldin.

Fan satisfaction, when it comes to the beginning of the league year, is pretty far off their radar and the past proves it, especially in the Harbs / Ozzie era. They are never out to appease fans and "win in March".
    That's how I see it too. Ozzie is dialed in. He's doing exactly what he feels he has to do and doesn't give a damn what anyone thinks about it. Ozzie is about results and he's going to do whatever it takes to give his team the best chance to achieve those results.

I'd also wonder if Harbaugh's - well let's call it "dissaproval" - of Reed has mainly to do with all of the yellow laundry that he attracts. Despite the Ravens being a heavily penalized team historically, it seems like Harbaugh is the kind of guy who has short patience for penalty prone players, and gets particularly frustrated seeing his great plays undone by penalties (which coach isn't though?) Part of his cleaning house with the Safeties may have had to do with him ushering in a new era of efficiency and clean play.

Blog Entries

I can see Ozzie changing his MO from Super Bowl XXXV/2001 to 2013. He is older and wiser now, so he sees things differently than he did a decade ago. I believe he envisions a perennial playoff team with several Super Bowl appearances (wins) in his vision. He, and Harbaugh, won't let sentimentality get in their way of Ravens progress... Bc

Blog Entries

As Mikie always says - and to think I made them write about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Brien Jackson View Post
    There's obviously a limit to that, though, because it's also a business that requires some level of fan base management. Let's say Harbs and Ozzie wanted to cut Ray after last season because he was old and slow, but Ray wanted one more year to try to get over the hump. You think Bisciotti really says "hey, this is your guys' show, go ahead and cut Ray Lewis if that's what you want to do?" I'm not saying he'd write Reed a blank check or anything, just that I don't think he'd let the door be shut on a home grown first ballot Hall of Famer entirely because a fairly replaceable coach didn't like him.
    Fairly replaceable? I....disagree. Strongly. Respectfully, but strongly.

Blog Entries

I think it just came to down to player and price, the Ravens weren't going to give Reed at 35 more than 3$ million a year at most.

Quote Originally Posted by GaTechRavens View Post
    Fairly replaceable? I....disagree. Strongly. Respectfully, but strongly.
    Erm, why? Harbaugh doesn't call plays on either side of the ball, he's not some schematic guru who has built a roster and made top draft picks specifically to play his scheme, his record of picking coordinators is dodgy at best, and the Ravens are a premier organization. I'm not saying he's a bad coach, but let's not pretend that the Ravens would have a difficult time getting someone who could have similar success under the circumstances if they decided they want to go a new route.