Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: Rumor: Harbs wanted Reed gone

PFT is really going overboard with the rumors, speculation, and twisting of things.

Is it really so hard to understand that the Ravens as an organization could not spend $5 mil on resigning an icon whose skills have diminished? Not only that, think about the media/fan shitstorm would happen next year if they were forced to turn around and cut him. An amicable parting where Reed still gets a big payday as a free agent is the best possible end to this.

Not wanting to handicap the team on the field and against the cap is not the same as wanting an individual gone.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens27Girl View Post
    The source of this is Mike Preston....that should tell you everything you need to know. The King of Conjecture.
    :word
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    John Harbaugh is not making his feelings known to Mike Preston
    The only thing willing to interview with Preston is a bag of donuts.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BPF2 View Post
    PFT is really going overboard with the rumors, speculation, and twisting of things.

Is it really so hard to understand that the Ravens as an organization could not spend $5 mil on resigning an icon whose skills have diminished? Not only that, think about the media/fan shitstorm would happen next year if they were forced to turn around and cut him. An amicable parting where Reed still gets a big payday as a free agent is the best possible end to this.

Not wanting to handicap the team on the field and against the cap is not the same as wanting an individual gone.
    :word It was just time for the Ravens and Reed to part ways. No hard feelings.

I'm not the biggest Harbaugh fan in the world or anything, but suffice it to say that you aren't going to last long as an NFL head coach if you can't handle a player like Ed Reed having the occasional strong/vocal opinion. That's why college coaches come into the NFL and fail. So while there might not have been any bidding war once the Texans made an offer the Ravens didn't want to match, I very much doubt that Harbaugh ran Reed out of time. Hell, even if Harbs *wanted* to, I'd bet he'd be overruled by Bisciotti given Reed's stature with the organization.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    John Harbaugh is not making his feelings known to Mike Preston
    This ....

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens27Girl View Post
    The source of this is Mike Preston....that should tell you everything you need to know. The King of Conjecture.
    This ...

Quote Originally Posted by RavensRule21215 View Post
    1. Preston is a pot stirrer.
    2. It could still very well be true, but trying to decide the veracity based on public statements from Harbaugh is pointless; he's not going to say publicly what motivated the move/non-move.
    3. Reed is gone; Huff is here. Time to move forward.
    And this said perfectly.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Brien Jackson View Post
    ... Hell, even if Harbs *wanted* to, I'd bet he'd be overruled by Bisciotti given Reed's stature with the organization.
    I don't agree. Bisciotti is not Jerry Jones. He lets his football professionals run his Ravens business. If Harbs wanted to let Reed go, and Ozzie was on the same page, then I believe Bisciotti would have gone along. After all, isn't this the team management who brought him a Super Bowl championship? At this stage of his ownership career, and seeing the winning ways this team has, he is not going to overrule their rationale when it comes to player retention/release (even when it comes down to a HOF career player like Reed)... Bc

How the fuck long are we gonna go through this bullshit. Reed will not be a Raven this year because Ozzie was not going to give the man anywhere near $5 million plus guaranteed a year. Harbaugh had nothing to do with this decision. Preston wants to be the story not write it.

Quote Originally Posted by Brien Jackson View Post
    I'm not the biggest Harbaugh fan in the world or anything, but suffice it to say that you aren't going to last long as an NFL head coach if you can't handle a player like Ed Reed having the occasional strong/vocal opinion. That's why college coaches come into the NFL and fail. So while there might not have been any bidding war once the Texans made an offer the Ravens didn't want to match, I very much doubt that Harbaugh ran Reed out of time. Hell, even if Harbs *wanted* to, I'd bet he'd be overruled by Bisciotti given Reed's stature with the organization.
    Harbaugh handled it perfectly. The Ravens went on to win the Super Bowl. Reed whose abilities had diminished signed elsewhere. Problem solved. This is the very reason that Harbaugh was hired and not Rex. With Rex this team would have imploded just like his NY team. The teams that do well year in and year out are led by strong coaches not coaches who cater to their star players. College coaches struggle in the NFL because it is hard to coach in the NFL. Jim Harbaugh and Pete Carroll seem to be doing just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    I don't agree. Bisciotti is not Jerry Jones. He lets his football professionals run his Ravens business. If Harbs wanted to let Reed go, and Ozzie was on the same page, then I believe Bisciotti would have gone along. After all, isn't this the team management who brought him a Super Bowl championship? At this stage of his ownership career, and seeing the winning ways this team has, he is not going to overrule their rationale when it comes to player retention/release (even when it comes down to a HOF career player like Reed)... Bc
    There's obviously a limit to that, though, because it's also a business that requires some level of fan base management. Let's say Harbs and Ozzie wanted to cut Ray after last season because he was old and slow, but Ray wanted one more year to try to get over the hump. You think Bisciotti really says "hey, this is your guys' show, go ahead and cut Ray Lewis if that's what you want to do?" I'm not saying he'd write Reed a blank check or anything, just that I don't think he'd let the door be shut on a home grown first ballot Hall of Famer entirely because a fairly replaceable coach didn't like him.

Quote Originally Posted by srobert96 View Post
    Harbaugh handled it perfectly. The Ravens went on to win the Super Bowl. Reed whose abilities had diminished signed elsewhere. Problem solved. This is the very reason that Harbaugh was hired and not Rex. With Rex this team would have imploded just like his NY team. The teams that do well year in and year out are led by strong coaches not coaches who cater to their star players. College coaches struggle in the NFL because it is hard to coach in the NFL. Jim Harbaugh and Pete Carroll seem to be doing just fine.
    Harbaugh and Carroll are the exceptions that prove the rule, since they have extensive histories of working in the NFL.

Blog Entries

Goob posted a piece that agreed with what Preston said...but I still don't buy it 100%

Do I think Harbaugh wanted an upgrade at S? Yes. Do I think Harbaugh would've hugged and welcome Ed Reed back on a 6m/3year deal? Absolutely. First off, Ozzie isn't handing over the car keys to John without having the driver's ed passenger brake (anyone know what i'm talking about?). He might let Harbaugh drive some of the personell moves, but it's still Ozzie's JOB to decide which groceries we get and how much we pay and which store we get them from. John just tells him which groceries he wants, Ozzie goes from there. So even if Harbaugh is sitting there going "I don't want that crazy hobo in my locker room anymore", it's still Ozzie's call, Ozzie isn't going to say "man, that's wrong...but you DID just win a Super Bowl, so...." Second off, I don't think Ed Reed would've gone and said about him having a good relationship with Harbaugh and exchanging texts with him the day of signing if Harbaugh really wanted him the hell out of here. He had no NEED to be gracious then.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!