I remember the last time that happened. In 1972, the NIT was far more significant with only 32(?) teams in the NCAA tourney. The Terps were a young, up-and-coming team under Lefty Driesel - with players in the All-American class like Tom McMillan (Rhodes scholar) and Len Elmore (Harvard(?) law graduate). That was their first big step to becoming a national power - culminating in 1974 when they were in the top three in the country, along with UCLA and NC State.

The current set of Terps remind me of them - although probably not nearly as good. The first win over Duke was a surprise. But it was a golden opportunity for UM since it was Duke's third game that week and on the road and without arguably their best player. The second win over Duke was a SHOCK to me. They were at full strength, rested and looking for revenge. I figured the Terps to lose by at least 20 points.

If Maryland wins the NIT and IF Duke had won the NCAA's, you could argue (although stretching it a bit) that the Terps were the best team in the country, given their TWO victories over the Blue Devils (no one else accomplished that).