Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: If Maryland wins NIT

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    If Maryland wins NIT, than you can make the case the definitely should have been in the tournament.
    After watching the Mountain West Five crap the bed, they can probably make that case anyway.

Blog Entries
    They missed the big dance but since they're in the NiT it would be nice to see them win it. Progress.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Duke was demolished by Louisville so the point is moot anyway. The NIT is a complete joke. No one cares about it. All winning the NIT means is that you are better than the other also-rans. I realize it was different 40 years ago but so were a lot of things. Here in the present it just doesn't matter.
    I think a complete joke is a little much. the NCAA tourney selection is flawed. Each year, there are teams that make it that should not and there are teams that should have made it that didn't.

Had Maryland won either game after beat duke each time, they would have been in.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pslholder96 View Post
    If anything it's an indictment on Maryland. The irony of beating Duke twice in one season yet still not getting into the tournament speaks volumes about how inconsistent this team really is. Not a having a true point guard on the roster has been a big achilles heel for this team. Hopefully that changes next year. And they really need to toughen up their non conference schedule. This year's was pathetic but no fault of Turgeon since these games were already penciled in prior to his arrival.
    They're young and without a solid ball handler (as you note). They are also very talented. That's a recipe for amazing wins and let-down losses.

Turgeon has impressed me, though. Maryland is going to be a force in men's college basketball for years if he keeps going like he is. Their deep and talented, and the only flaw in his recruiting so far is not getting a ball handler. Faust and Allen can both handle the ball, of course, but neither is a real passer.

iggyman555 Guest

lol len is not a top 5 pick

6. Re: If Maryland wins NIT

[QUOTE=HoustonRaven;613274]Curious. Please tell me how an opinion can be a "lie".

I am sure what he is referring to was the statement that Larranaga did far more with less than Turge. Except for Stoglin,who was a head case that was primarily interested in getting high, the cupboard was completely bare when Turge got hired. Larranaga is a good coach and did a great job coaching the players he inherited. He was a great fit for Miami.

Maryland was replacing a very good coach in Gary Williams who struggled his last few years as he got close to retirement age. It would have made no sense to hire Larranaga who will be 64 before the next season starts and be right back in the situation with a coach close to retirement. Turge has turned around recruiting, but the jury is still out on how successful he will be.

Quote Originally Posted by mistergq View Post
    I think a complete joke is a little much. the NCAA tourney selection is flawed. Each year, there are teams that make it that should not and there are teams that should have made it that didn't.

Had Maryland won either game after beat duke each time, they would have been in.

Good Lord, there are 68 teams that make it, how many more do you want? Do you want to go Buffalo Wild Wings style and expand it to 256 team? Sure, that list did not necessarily represent #1-68 in the country, but do you think that it's safe to say that at least the top 30 teams in the country based on their performance in the regular season and conference tourneys made it? If you're not in the top 30, I don't see how you can say that you should be the #1 just because you won a consolation tournament. A tournament made up of teams who weren't good enough to reach the top field of 68.

It would be like a team winning the Tire Bowl and trying to declare themselves champions over Alabama.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mistergq View Post

It's a joke because winning the NIT doesn't mean anything. If a title carries no weight then what's the point? I guess the NIT brings in a last little payday to the schools involved. If it didn't it would probably go away.

Formerly Carpetbaggerville (IND) --now back in MD
    Blog Entries

Yeah I respectfully think the OP's post is a bit of a reach. I mean the Wizards have beaten just about every serious title contender this year outside of San Antonio and no one is considering them an upper elchelon team let alone the best in the game. It did feel great to see UM knock off Duke not once but twice though.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raven Werewolf View Post
    Yeah I respectfully think the OP's post is a bit of a reach. I mean the Wizards have beaten just about every serious title contender this year outside of San Antonio and no one is considering them an upper elchelon team let alone the best in the game. It did feel great to see UM knock off Duke not once but twice though.
    All the OP said was, you could argue they were the best team if Duke had won it all, and if you did argue that it would be a stretch.

Well, it's all a moot point anyway now.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2