Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Who will be the first 2013 ravens free agent free agent cut by his new team?

Hi,

I have been a reader for years, but this is my post. I´m from Mexico, so excuse me if my english is bad some times.

Every year teams around the league overpay for Ravens free agents. Many times, one or two years later, teams cut them (Adalius Thomas, D. Landry, Dwane Edwards, Ovie Mugelli, T Zbikowbski, etc).

Who will be the firs one to get cut of the 2013 group, and in which year?

Blog Entries

Re: Who will be the first 2013 ravens free agent free agent cut by his new team?

Tough question, I don't have the facts handy so I'm going from memory and what I think is fact.

Eliminate Boldin, I believe he only has a year left and he wasn't a free agent but a trade.... or are you clumping all the players who are no longer on the team together? Or just focusing on the true free agents who left?
    Eliminate Pollard for the same reason, not a free agent, but I expect him to play out his contract.

Leaves who to choose from?
    Kruger, Ellerbe, Reed, Cary Williams?
    From that list I'd say Reed makes a year, two at most.
    Ellerbe and Kruger should make 2 years easy.
    Cary? Decent/ adequate CBs have value, there have been too many Willie Gastons, Martins, Pittmans, Jamaine Winbournes, Lenny Walls (remember him? we cut Jamaine to make room for him). So I think Cary has to really implode not to play out his contract.

No way to evaluate McKinnie yet for your question, and I think we can ignore Bajema, Considine, Ryan McBean, Ma'ake......

Except for McKinnie, there are only 4 to really consider, and my gut goes with Father Time and Ed.
    at one point of my life I was exactly Pi years old

Blog Entries

Re: Who will be the first 2013 ravens free agent free agent cut by his new team?

As crazy as it sounds I think it's going to be Ed Reed. Reed is an older player who signed for a lot of money to a team that has a history of cutting guys with big contracts. The Texans have a lot of younger talent they are going to have to sign and they need the cap space to do it. No way Ed takes a pay cut to help the team do that. I really think he's going to be 1 and done with the Texans.

Gotta agree. Ed Reed will be one and done in Houston.
    Master of 'Gifs for dummies'

"The world called for wetwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause." - Kazuhira Miller

Kruger, will not have the success he had in Baltimore. Cleveland will want that money back.

Blog Entries

Agree with Reed being the first. I think he's a one and done guy especially looking at how his contract is structured. If the Texans cut him before the 2014 season, they'll save 4 million on the cap.

I think Ed just wanted 1 more payday and that's why he didn't retire with Ray so with that being said Ed will retire next year. None of the players will live up to the hype but if philly let's Cary play bump n run he will be the most productive

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    WE DON'T NEED YOUR RESPECT BUT WE WILL BEAT UP ON YOU AND TAKE YOUR SOUL!!!!!!!

Which player do you all think will be the biggest bust / team that signed them will regret it most?

My pick is Kruger. The amount of money he was given dictates a level of play I really do not think he can live up to. If he cant put up at least 10 - 12 sacks he is going to be viewed rather poorly based on the contract he got.
    “A linebacker's job is to knock out running backs, to knock out receivers, to chase the football,”
    -Ray Lewis

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenous1 View Post
    Which player do you all think will be the biggest bust / team that signed them will regret it most?

My pick is Kruger. The amount of money he was given dictates a level of play I really do not think he can live up to. If he cant put up at least 10 - 12 sacks he is going to be viewed rather poorly based on the contract he got.
    I agree. He's going to see double teams probably every game now. Will he be able to put up 10+ sacks being the focal point of a blocking scheme? I doubt it.

Ellerbe. He was a ho-hum performer in a well coached defense surrounded by three former DPOYs. He is likely to be exposed in Miami.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Quote Originally Posted by lovefootball View Post
    Kruger, will not have the success he had in Baltimore. Cleveland will want that money back.
    No, Kruger will be a long-term fixture in Cleveland. People are forgetting that he just might do very well there. And even if he doesn't, the Browns have no incentive to cut him. They have so much space now, and they need to stay cap floor compliant. And really, what better options would they have? The Browns are really used to competing, so their standards will be pretty low anyway.

But to answer the question, it would be Pollard, but he was signed to a one year deal, and they probably won't cut him before the season starts, or during the season as that money will be guaranteed once the season starts. Same situation for Boldin, one year left. Ellerbe is in the same category as Kruger, too young, and the team's expectations are too low. Cary Williams is going to a team that is always under scrutiny, but he's young too. Process of elimination would yield Reed. That's assuming he doesn't retire before this becomes an option. Another dark horse is McKinnie if he signs a multi year deal with another team.

What I'm getting out of this thread is that we lost a lot of guys who still have a few years ahead of them (Reed is the exception) , unlike some previous seasons when our cuts were close to the end of their careers.