Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 25 to 36 of 37
  1. #25
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Alexandria, VA
    Posts
    409

    Re: OT: Kevin Ware breaks his leg



    Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    I know it will be a long recovery for him...
    Which I hope doesn't become a financial hardship for him and his family. Unlike Theisman or Musa Smith, guys who were employed when this happened to them, Ware's a college kid on scholarship. The NCAA's Catastrophic Injury Insurance Program is not that easy to get accepted by (although, this likely qualifies) and the deductible is kinda brutal. It isn't the now that concerns me as much as a couple years from now, when he needs to be able to continue physical therapy to make sure his body continues to heal and function right, but insurance won't cover it (or enough of it for him to afford it) and Louisville has forgotten about him. Heck, it wouldn't surprise me if he is unable to (financially) continue his education there - they may revoke his scholarship.

    I really hope, in the immediate term, anyway, that Louisville alumni can step to the plate on this.




  2. #26
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Calvert County
    Posts
    2,178
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: OT: Kevin Ware breaks his leg

    The worst injury I've seen in my life, as a longtime fan of several violent sports. Only comparable injuries I can think of is Musa Smith's leg turning to jello against the Cowboys several years ago and when Frank Mir broke Tim Sylvia's arm, and those are literally nothing compared to what happened to this kid. Sad to see, hope he recovers fully.




  3. #27
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Perry Hall
    Posts
    2,890

    Re: OT: Kevin Ware breaks his leg

    Joe Theissman's break wasn't in HD, this was. Absolutely gruesome injury and very hard to watch.

    It really was strange how it happened. No contact at all, just landed on it funny and his leg completely gave out.




  4. #28
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Clayton,NC
    Posts
    7,340

    Re: OT: Kevin Ware breaks his leg

    Quote Originally Posted by Losac View Post
    Joe Theissman's break wasn't in HD, this was. Absolutely gruesome injury and very hard to watch.

    It really was strange how it happened. No contact at all, just landed on it funny and his leg completely gave out.
    I noticed he was a very thin guy, small fragile bones maybe?

    Also saw some doctors speculating that he could have had a small fracture there and that's why it happened like that...
    We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. - Benjamin Franklin




  5. #29

    Re: OT: Kevin Ware breaks his leg

    Quote Originally Posted by dreamjo View Post
    Which I hope doesn't become a financial hardship for him and his family. Unlike Theisman or Musa Smith, guys who were employed when this happened to them, Ware's a college kid on scholarship. The NCAA's Catastrophic Injury Insurance Program is not that easy to get accepted by (although, this likely qualifies) and the deductible is kinda brutal. It isn't the now that concerns me as much as a couple years from now, when he needs to be able to continue physical therapy to make sure his body continues to heal and function right, but insurance won't cover it (or enough of it for him to afford it) and Louisville has forgotten about him. Heck, it wouldn't surprise me if he is unable to (financially) continue his education there - they may revoke his scholarship.

    I really hope, in the immediate term, anyway, that Louisville alumni can step to the plate on this.
    Part of the scholarship covers medical issues and surgeries(really its the insurance). As Rick Pitino said he will be handled by the best doctors in the business and he meant it.

    Even if he never plays again he will be on scholie until he graduates. If they revoked it because he was injured while performing for the school Louisville would never recover from the PR damage.

    He will be nursed back to heath and his expenses covered by the schools insurance.




  6. #30

    Re: OT: Kevin Ware breaks his leg

    Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    I noticed he was a very thin guy, small fragile bones maybe?

    Also saw some doctors speculating that he could have had a small fracture there and that's why it happened like that...
    Your second comment was probably the main cause of the injury.

    I know some of you guys hate wrestling but Sid Viscous suffered a similar injury in a similar fashion. When you have a stress fracture you have to treat it almost as if its a compound fracture and by that I mean that you have to stay off that leg. Speaking of compound what made it so gruesome is that his bone stuck 6 inches through the skin. You just do not see those types of injuries unless its a car accident or war.

    Oh I forgot to mention that Sid is 6'10" 335lbs.




  7. #31
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Hazzard County
    Posts
    1,217

    Re: OT: Kevin Ware breaks his leg

    Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    I noticed he was a very thin guy, small fragile bones maybe?

    Also saw some doctors speculating that he could have had a small fracture there and that's why it happened like that...
    I hope it's not the case, but I would be concerned that there was an undiagnosed, underlying cause....other than a small fracture.




  8. #32
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Calvert County
    Posts
    2,178
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: OT: Kevin Ware breaks his leg

    Quote Originally Posted by Ravens75 View Post
    Your second comment was probably the main cause of the injury.

    I know some of you guys hate wrestling but Sid Viscous suffered a similar injury in a similar fashion. When you have a stress fracture you have to treat it almost as if its a compound fracture and by that I mean that you have to stay off that leg. Speaking of compound what made it so gruesome is that his bone stuck 6 inches through the skin. You just do not see those types of injuries unless its a car accident or war.

    Oh I forgot to mention that Sid is 6'10" 335lbs.
    Good call, I forgot about that. Jumping off the top turnbuckle. Awful injury too.




  9. #33
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    College Park
    Posts
    408

    Re: OT: Kevin Ware breaks his leg

    My theory on what may have caused the horrible injury, which I have not seen mentioned in a public domain, is the close proximity of his landing spot to the edge of the "table" on which they were playing.

    Game was being played on a raised court.

    Injury occurred at the sideline, either a few inches in or out of bounds (I am not sure and I ain't watching again to find out).

    There is a foot or two of hardwood beyond the sideline ... the floor then transitions to a sticky carpet, on which the players can wipe their sneaks ... then it is a four foot or so drop, off the edge of the table.

    It is possible Ware shifted his weight to avoid going off the edge of the table, leading to the horrific injury.

    I think it would be bizarre to play on a raised court but, if so, there should be much wider borders. The angle Ware took, to challenge the shot, would have led him to step beyond the edge of the court on a normal, regular playing surface.

    Regardless, very glad to read Kevin Ware was seen smiling today!




  10. #34

    Re: OT: Kevin Ware breaks his leg

    Quote Originally Posted by Rosdaman View Post
    Regardless, very glad to read Kevin Ware was seen smiling today!
    Ever been on morphine? You can't help but grin!

    Whoever said it above is right--had to be a pre-existing injury. Kudos to Louisville for rising above that, especially against an opponent like Duke.




  11. #35
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    College Station, TX
    Posts
    850
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: OT: Kevin Ware breaks his leg

    Quote Originally Posted by redmike34 View Post
    Whoever said it above is right--had to be a pre-existing injury. Kudos to Louisville for rising above that, especially against an opponent like Duke.
    I read that he had sprained the ankle of that leg on the day before. This event could have easily led to a stress fracture of the shin bone, which served as the precursor for the catastrophic one. It is never a good idea for an athlete to play injured. Small injuries lead to big ones. That's why they are so careful bringing players back from injuries.




  12. #36
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Columbia, MD
    Posts
    104

    Re: OT: Kevin Ware breaks his leg

    Absolutely horrible injury. I am glad I as not watching it live.

    It had to be either stress fracture that was undiagnosed, or chips missing from the bone. That landing was ordinary, it just broke.

    I heard Joe Theisman talk about it today. Based on medical treatment today, Ware may still have a future in sports.




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland