Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Draft Day Event

Blog Entries

Draft Day Event

So, on Easter, one of my awesome Redskin in-laws decided to tell my son about the event the Redskins hold on draft day (Saturday) where the stadium is open (to anyone who signs up online ahead of time) and they have player appearances, the field is open, activities, live draft feed, etc. So now of course I'm going to have to take him, but I was wondering....why don't the Ravens do this?

I think they used to at one time. I saw something archived in the Baltimore Sun announcing MTA schedules for a Draft Day Party at PSINet Stadium, but nothing I've known about since 2007 or 2008 anyway. Anyone know why it was stopped?

I would so love to have a Ravens one so I could take him to that instead of having to drag my ass down to FedEx Field for an all day headache of maroon and yellow.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Re: Draft Day Event

What? You're the man of the house, put your foot down. You never know how these kinds of experiences will brainwash a young boy. You should not be letting your in-laws influence how your kids are being raised, you're the father. We probably don't have one because we're not stupid enough to have a party for their 4th-7th rounds. That's basically when the only thing that you can do if watch TV and sit in front of your computer and look up the prospects on ESPN and Scout. What's the point in going to a party to watch a bunch of names roll across the bottom of a screen?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Coastergenius View Post
    What? You're the man of the house, put your foot down. You never know how these kinds of experiences will brainwash a young boy. You should not be letting your in-laws influence how your kids are being raised, you're the father. We probably don't have one because we're not stupid enough to have a party for their 4th-7th rounds. That's basically when the only thing that you can do if watch TV and sit in front of your computer and look up the prospects on ESPN and Scout. What's the point in going to a party to watch a bunch of names roll across the bottom of a screen?
    hahaha, true. I don't want to be an asshole though, I let him root for whatever team he wants. He ironically went to his first game at M&T (a Redskins and Ravens preseason game) in a ravens jersey with a redskins hat. Had some fun conversations about that one...

In any case though, I'd say the draft part is really secondary, it is a nice opportunity to interact with the fans. Letting a kid get a chance to walk on the field of the stadium AND meet some players? How the hell can I be a good dad if I tell him "No, you can't do that, now sit and watch a bunch of talking heads with me!" I know the Ravens have other events they do that during (Namely, they have a movie night at the stadium, and I know they have some dinner event for paying fans where the team and coaches all come out on the field with everyone?), just curious, it would seem like a pretty inexpensive way to look more awesome to the fans, and that is something that seems to be BIG in Bisciotti's book.

Just curious that's all.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Ravens have had what is called "The Spring Football Festival" many many times. While it has not always fallen on draft day, it has all you talk about the Skins doing and more. This year it is on April 27. Info can be found on BaltimoreRavens website. In recent memory, they did not hold it the last 2 years due to construction. This year will be limited again because of stadium upgrades.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sjsize View Post
    Ravens have had what is called "The Spring Football Festival" many many times. While it has not always fallen on draft day, it has all you talk about the Skins doing and more. This year it is on April 27. Info can be found on BaltimoreRavens website. In recent memory, they did not hold it the last 2 years due to construction. This year will be limited again because of stadium upgrades.
    Ah. Thanks for posting that, I'll check it out. Looks like it isn't free, but I get why. It'll at least be nice to have something equally Ravens themed to counter with.

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    So, on Easter, one of my awesome Redskin in-laws decided to tell my son about the event the Redskins hold on draft day (Saturday) where the stadium is open (to anyone who signs up online ahead of time) and they have player appearances, the field is open, activities, live draft feed, etc. So now of course I'm going to have to take him, but I was wondering....why don't the Ravens do this?

I think they used to at one time. I saw something archived in the Baltimore Sun announcing MTA schedules for a Draft Day Party at PSINet Stadium, but nothing I've known about since 2007 or 2008 anyway. Anyone know why it was stopped?

I would so love to have a Ravens one so I could take him to that instead of having to drag my ass down to FedEx Field for an all day headache of maroon and yellow.
    The Ravens did have them. I took my daughter to the one following the Ravens 1st super bowl win.
    We were on the field and saw the trophy and she met Brandon Stokley.
    Later we bought her his jersey.
    While we walked around the field, the first round of the draft was being displayed on the big boards.

I would imagine the huge impact of the draft starting during the week has eliminated the draft day event, thereby being followed by the spring event as a fill in.

Not to mention that we actually have city parades for Super Bowl wins where 200,000 fans jam pack M&T Bank stadium. But as I was saying before, who has a draft party for rounds 4-7? Why go to the stadium so that you can see random names scroll across the bottom of the screen? To get the real draft experience in the later rooms, you need to be by yourself with a lap top on your lap watching ESPN/NFL Network.

Draft parties make sense when you're talking about the 1st round. There used to be 15 minutes between each pick (now there's only 12) and you're talking about big names that people will recognize. Big trades are made, and they actually spend time hyping up the potential players, and the pundits have mock drafts that you can make fun of later. Maybe the Redskins need to have draft parties on the 3rd day because they trade most of their 1st or 2nd round picks away?

But trust me. Tell him that it's going to be really lame and doesn't make any sense, and it will be a lot better to watch on TV.

As a fan, I'm not sure what your situation is, if you're a diehard Ravens fan, or a mild one, but if you're not a Redskins supporter, I wouldn't go out of your way to make him a Redskins fan. It's going to be a lot more fun when he grows up if you can bond over the same team. Every little thing that kids do when they're young shapes where their emotions and alleigance will be for the future.

Because the Redskins always draft so early that everyone can be home early if they leave after the Redskins make their pick. Maybe the Ravens should do the Redskins draft day after party and rock the Bank until 2 AM.

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?!

Here's the email i got from the Ravens about this year's event:

SPRING FOOTBALL FESTIVAL
    M&T BANK STADIUM
    SATURDAY, APRIL 27, 2013
    12:00PM - 4:00PM

The Spring Football Festival is back and what better way to spend a Spring day than talking football and celebrating with your World Champion Baltimore Ravens!

Activities will include player autograph sessions, interactive games on the field, home locker room tours, Poe’s Mascot Scrimmage, face painting and more. Even the opportunity for up to 1,000 fans to get a photo with the Super Bowl XLVII trophy.

As a PSL owner, we would like to extend a special opportunity to purchase discounted tickets prior to general public sale. Tickets are $10 for children and $15 for adults ($5 off the full price). Due to the popularity of this event in the past and current stadium renovations, the event will be capped at 15,000 attendees.

What else to expect:

Watch rounds 4-7 of the 2013 NFL Draft unfold live on RavensVision and TVs throughout the stadium
    Interactive on-field games including Gatorade Junior Training Camp
    Ravens Rookies Kids Area
    Player autograph sessions
    Photos available with the Super Bowl XLVII trophy (with $15 donation to Ravens All-Community Team Foundation as part of your SFF ticket purchase)
    2013 Ravens Cheerleaders performance and autographs
    Poe’s Mascot Scrimmage
    Baltimore’s Marching Ravens Pep Band and Drum Line
    Live 98 Rock broadcast from the North Club Level
    Self-guided tours of the Ravens Locker Room
    Ravens Team Stores & Concessions will be open
    Free parking in lots A, B, C, G, & H
    Twenty years of Cheers.
    Thanks Baltimore Ravens Fans - You're the Best!

Now that so much of the draft is performed at night, the stadium draft days lack the tension and interest associated with the high rounds. I've attended Draft Day at three NFL stadiums, all before the new TV format; every one involved a lot of crowd involvement & excitement after picks were announced on the video screens. Too bad.

Sorry that the Ravens have come back to merging Spring Festival & Draft Day. I used to like hitting up both FedEx and M&T on different Saturdays for the first taste of football each year. Now that they will be open simultaneously, forget-about the short drive to PG County.

Notwithstanding, we will take the kids to have a great time at the stadium, including seeing the trophy & all the Ravens Rookies activities.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    Notwithstanding, we will take the kids to have a great time at the stadium, including seeing the trophy & all the Ravens Rookies activities.
    T -

Do you think we have to pay an extra $15 to see the trophy or is that inclusive in your $15 ticket? I see they are limiting it to the first 1,000 people. I hope they allow you to hold it or at least touch it when you take your picture.

The way they are handling the Lombardi this year sure seems alot different from 2001. They had the Trophy out all day at the Spring Fest after SB XXXV and David Modell took it to all kinds of fan events.
    Twenty years of Cheers.
    Thanks Baltimore Ravens Fans - You're the Best!