Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Okoye

Okoye

From a British-centric point, Menelik Watson is your big bet for a Brit making it. Now, another one is interested - Olympian Lawrence Okoye is wanting to move to the NFL and seemingly leaving discus.

He's 6'6", 248lbs - so the statistics match up, potentially as a DE. Only 21.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-nfl/#comments

Best of luck to him. I wonder who's interested? Sounds like a guy who'd want to stash on the practice squad for a year and see what happens.

According to the Daily Mail, he also has a scholarship waiting on him to go to Oxford University to study law. So he's got the brain for it. Some guys just have it all, eh?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/oth...e-Atlanta.html

Be a loss for our Olympic squad for Rio and beyond - but as an NFL fan, I'm very intrigued to see how he goes.

Re: Okoye

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrian View Post
    From a British-centric point, Menelik Watson is your big bet for a Brit making it. Now, another one is interested - Olympian Lawrence Okoye is wanting to move to the NFL and seemingly leaving discus.

Best of luck to him. I wonder who's interested? Sounds like a guy who'd want to stash on the practice squad for a year and see what happens.

According to the Daily Mail, he also has a scholarship waiting on him to go to Oxford University to study law. So he's got the brain for it. Some guys just have it all, eh?

Be a loss for our Olympic squad for Rio and beyond - but as an NFL fan, I'm very intrigued to see how he goes.
    I'm all for Brits in the nfl, but I don't see how he can compete with someone who's been living, breathing, playing football since they were 12. I mean he may be genetically gifted, but so is every other Nfl player.

Having said that, with the growth of the sport in this country, I think it's just a matter of time before a Brit makes a big impact in the league.

No matter the physical gifts, I can't seeing one picking up Doctoral level football, without ever having gone through Elementary School, Junior & Senior High as well as the normal College eduction in the sport.

The game, at the NFL level, is predicated upon instantaneous decision making without the luxury of having time to think about the options. Decisions that have been honed in the years of competition leading up to the NFL.

Best of luck, but it is a taller mountain than Everest to climb.

He's a heck of a lot bigger than 248 I can assure you of that

5. Re: Okoye

I read somewhere he weighed in the 290s.

Regardless, Football is not the type of game that anyone can just pick up and play. Especially at the NFL level.

Blog Entries
    He'd likely need to start in a lower league and prove himself

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

I saw an article. He does look the part of a potential Peppers. He is not 250.

:T2:

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    He'd likely need to start in a lower league and prove himself
    Potential has value. There are only so many 300 pound freak athletes walking the earth. This guy may not get drafted but he will not have to play one down of college ball to get a long look in an nfl camp. Eric Swann was just a beast of a guy who came out of nowhere looking like he was created to dominate football. Maybe this is the next that guy. Defensive end is not that hard of a position to learn. There are an awful lot of idiots who were sack machines.

Blog Entries

Brock Lesnar once wanted to play football too...

Just saying.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    Brock Lesnar once wanted to play football too...

Just saying.
    He was in the Vikings training camp at one point iirc. Just because you are 6'6-296 does not mean you will be agood nfl player, but it does mean you have a decent chance.

Blog Entries

I read he was 6'6" and 290lbs.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremiah W View Post
    He was in the Vikings training camp at one point iirc. Just because you are 6'6-296 does not mean you will be agood nfl player, but it does mean you have a decent chance.
    Agreed...Lesnar I think was trying to get us to sign him or something, but we wanted no part of that. Either that or someone on this board was pushing for him. Anyway, my point is simply that a guy who's never played football before wanting to try out for the NFL...most of the time? Won't go too well.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!