Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Re: Has Manti Te'o been taken off the Ravens' board?

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    T'eo is a solid mid second to late third round pick, who should be taken higher this year, due to the lack of 'obvious' talent out there. He is actually a guy who you could develop to handle Ellerbe's role very well. Even though I am skeptical of his character, he's not a bad prospect.
    "Character" issue seems like such a loaded term at this point, and I really don't see what impact it has on his football at all. Let's say that he is disconcertingly naive: So what? What likely impact is that going to have on the team that drafts him? If he gets suckered into investing in a ponzi scheme and loses all of his money, it's no skin off of the Ravens' back. As far as character issues go, they only really seem relevant to me if they entail thinking that a guy won't put the work in that's required to be a good NFL player, or if he's going to be in trouble a lot and get himself suspended/arrested.

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    I don't know, but that clip of John shaking his head during Teo's 40 during the combine spoke volumes to me lol.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    The shaking of the head had nothing to do with Teo's 40. How many flipping times do we have to beat this into some people's head? He was in a conversation with someone else and the head shaking was part of that conversation. The head shake started before the 40 was even done.

This thread is truly laughable.

Quote Originally Posted by HotInHere View Post
    Exactly how does being duped by a guy/girl impact, even one iota, your ability to play middle linebacker? Let's go through the sports landscape and see how many superstar atheletes have at some point been duped by a woman. Hell, let's go through the male population and see how many men in general have at some point been duped by a woman. I believe Shaun Rogers (who is supposedly 10 years smarter than Te'o) just got robbed of $440K worth of jewelry. Can we also assume that he can't play football?

This nonsense should be on Maury Povich, not in an NFL draft room.

Good post.

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    I'm not stereotyping them. I'm just saying a star college football player will have his choice of women not even at parties or anything like that. Te'o is famous at a national level. He is like a celebrity at South Bend.
    And how many mormons are in South Bend? I know it's shocking to some that there might be someone who puts religious convictions ahead of random hook ups.

Blog Entries

If the Ravens took him off the board (not off 1st round? but entire board??), then I would be expecting to hear how good he is coming out of the org. I really doubt that the "leak" was here.

20 Chicago
    21 Cincinnati
    22 St. Louis (from Washington)
    23 Minnesota
    24 Indianapolis
    25 Minnesota (from Seattle)
    26 Green Bay
    27 Houston
    28 Denver
    29 New England
    30 Atlanta
    31 San Francisco
    32 Baltimore

If I had to guess, I'd guess Chicago based on a prior year's leak as to who they wanted, same source may feel safe divulging a name they don't want.
    It is only 12 teams, rule out Bellicheat because he tells nobody anything, rule out the teams that don't need an ILB.
    If the story is true, my money is on #20 Chicago due to past history... but can't find the info only a blurb here that doesn't say much http://blog.masslive.com/patriots/20...and_pat_1.html
    at one point of my life I was exactly Pi years old

This, on top of the reality that I don't even believe him about the story. You don't pour out your heart to some braud for years on end, without meeting her in person.

His story has been confirmed. Where have you been?

Your letting your bias cloud your judgement.

Even though I am skeptical of his character
    Yet not skeptical of Randy Moss?

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Uh? Are you sure about that? I'm guessing that scouts rank him below Arthur Brown, and Ogletree.
    Arthur Brown has not even been mentioned as a top ILB for a 3-4. Most view him as an OLB in the 4-3 and actually quite a few think the same thing of Ogletree. Ogletree is an excellent athlete and is probably the best in coverage as he was a safety. If you read all of the analysis of Ogletree his weaknesses are his instincts, missed tackles and overrunning the play. Also struggles taking on blocks against Oline. Ogletree and Brown are not going to be Mike's in a 3-4 defense. They are not going to play Ray Lewis spot but rather McLain's spot. They are longer and thinner and will not hold up in the middle. Teo is the more complete all around ILB. He is not as athletic and good in coverage but he is much better against the run. He is more instinctual and is in the right place at the right time.

If the team is taking a replacement for Lewis I take Teo. If you want a guy who can cover and is not as stout against the run I take Ogletree. Teo has been more productive in college and has more experience at the position. Ogletree has only played two years and missed 11 games in those two years. Can't go wrong with either at the top of the 2nd round.

Blog Entries

I just hope the Bears draft him in round 1 to replace Urlacher, and two other teams (??) choose G. Smith and Barkley (QBs) too. That would be tantamount to the Ravens getting the 29th pick... Bc

The main character concerns that a team needs to be worried about should be things such as a past arrest record or history of drug use.They should also be concerned about a player who has trouble controlling his weight ala Mt Cody who lacks the focus and work ethic to be successful at the pro level.Those issues don't apply in this case and I wouldn't be shocked in the least if the Ravens drafted Manti with the 32nd pick in the first round if he's still on the board.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by srobert96 View Post
    Arthur Brown has not even been mentioned as a top ILB for a 3-4. Most view him as an OLB in the 4-3 and actually quite a few think the same thing of Ogletree. Ogletree is an excellent athlete and is probably the best in coverage as he was a safety. If you read all of the analysis of Ogletree his weaknesses are his instincts, missed tackles and overrunning the play. Also struggles taking on blocks against Oline. Ogletree and Brown are not going to be Mike's in a 3-4 defense. They are not going to play Ray Lewis spot but rather McLain's spot. They are longer and thinner and will not hold up in the middle. Teo is the more complete all around ILB. He is not as athletic and good in coverage but he is much better against the run. He is more instinctual and is in the right place at the right time.

If the team is taking a replacement for Lewis I take Teo. If you want a guy who can cover and is not as stout against the run I take Ogletree. Teo has been more productive in college and has more experience at the position. Ogletree has only played two years and missed 11 games in those two years. Can't go wrong with either at the top of the 2nd round.
    Arthur Brown is rising fast on the boards. Personally, I'd be happy if the Ravens traded back out of the 1st to nab Brown in the 2nd.

47. Arthur Brown, OLB, Kansas State

We continue this year's series with Kansas State linebacker Arthur Brown, one of the best of the new wave of speed linebackers in this draft class. In the NFL, we've seen a definite move to linebackers who are more "right/left" than "inside/outside" -- those players with the skill sets to become half-field defenders in nickel and dime packages as those schemes become far more prevalent at the professional level. From the 2012 NFL draft class, we saw several of those players -- most notably Luke Kuechly, Lavonte David, and Bobby Wagner -- make major impacts on their defenses as rookies. Only one inside linebacker in that class (Dont'a Hightower of the New England Patriots) weighed in at over 250 pounds, and only Hightower was the traditional in-line "thumper."

Brown has all the abilities to take advantage of this new NFL trend. At 6-foot-0 and 241 pounds, and generally timing out in the 4.6 speed range, Brown tore it up in two seasons for the Wildcats after sitting out the 2010 season following his transfer from Miami. The 2012 Big 12 Defensive Player of the Year put up 65 solo tackles last season, improving his total of 57 in 2011. Even more impressive for a player of his size is Brown's total of 17.5 tackles for loss in those two seasons. His range paid off with three total interceptions (one for a touchdown in 2012), nine passes defensed, and 3.0 sacks. In 2011, he was the first defender to pick off a pass from Robert Griffin III, and in 2012, he was the first to pick off a Geno Smith attempt.

“No secret," Brown said at the scouting combine of his playing style. "Be at the right place at the right time ... My goal is to be where I need to be. Pursuing to the ball is a key element to my game and any defensive game. That is something I strive to always consistently do, aggressively downhill, always making plays in open space.”

Check and check. The question with Arthur Brown is not whether he has what it takes to make it in the NFL. Clearly, he fits the suit. The question is, how highly does he grade in those tangible assets, and where is improvement still needed?

Pros: Reads the action very well from linebacker depth; Brown is patient off the ball and has the pure speed to scream downhill when he makes his decision. Great short-area speed and agility when sifting though trash at different depths. Closes with excellent speed and tackles well for his size. Impressive awareness when asked to run from sideline to sideline to crash down on run plays -- has frenetic movement skills, but doesn't get overtaken by his own speed. Smooth and controlled runner in space. Looks natural when dropping into coverage -- has a good backpedal and doesn't trip over his own feet when he needs to change direction. Could be a regular curl/flat pass defender in intermediate spaces; outstanding recovery speed will allow him to make plays even if he's burned. Natural zone defender against the run or pass. Can cover tight ends and shot receivers with relative ease.

Stays with the quarterback when in coverage, and his diagnostic skills would make him a natural for defenses in desperate need to counter read-option quarterbacks. Has the lateral movement skills to be placed as the only player at his depth and close to either side. Could be a major factor as a blitz participant in the right scheme and with the right kinds of players around him; sack numbers could trend up with an aggressive defensive coordinator. Tough player and team leader who will play productively through injury. Will lay the wood on crossing receivers when given the opportunity. Knows how to redirect receivers in coverage.

Wherever Arthur Brown goes, he gets there in a hurry. (USAT Sports Images)Cons: As you might expect of most lighter linebackers, Brown doesn't have the upper-body strength to beat blocks. Has learned to bounce off them and still make plays, but that may be more difficult against more technically proficient blockers at the NFL level. Gets washed out against slide protection unless he can read the gaps and get through. Doesn't have the functional strength to stand up against blocks in space -- once he's hit, he tends to go down quickly unless he braces for the block and eludes it.

Good tackler overall, but lacks the consistent "killer" move that will force fumbles and stop short-yardage plays. More an opportunist than an instigator in that regard. Will occasionally oversell a tackle because he's so bent on getting there in a hurry. Dive- and ankle-tackles may be tougher to work against more practiced playmakers. In coverage, can occasionally be taken out of plays by bigger, more physical tight ends. Missed most of the combine drills due to a shoulder injury.

Conclusion: I have no question that Arthur Brown could be an impact rookie linebacker in the NFL; it just depends on how he's used. In a system where the defensive line is responsible for taking up blockers and Brown is able to blast through with his pesky style, he'll be a real asset. He is a full-field defender with a lot going for him. When I watched Bobby Wagner's Utah State tape, I saw this same kind of player -- the kind with a true 360-degree range. Not only an every-down player, but an every-down player who can do most everything he's asked to do in the right kind of defense.

If you want a 'backer who can overpower blockers and backs, this is not your man, but the NFL is moving away from that type of defender for the most part anyway. Modern pass defense requires linebackers to act like box safeties with very bad attitudes, and outside of Georgia's Alec Ogletree (whose personal baggage will have a lot of teams hesitating to pull the trigger on him), Brown is the best in that style. And like Wagner, he might take a second-round selection all the way to near Rookie of the Year status.

NFL Comparison: Bobby Wagner, Seattle Seahawks
    http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-sh...4050--nfl.html

Quote Originally Posted by srobert96 View Post

No one is "replacing" Ray Lewis, but if you're asking who's going to play the MIKE LB spot, they already have several "thumper" type LBs who make their hay getting physical against the run and taking on blockers up the middle in McClellan and Bynes. Why get another "North/South" player when we really need an "East/West player"?

The real problem on this defense isn't the MIKE spot, it's the WILL spot that Ellerbe played. We need someone who can play in space. Guys like Alec Ogletree, Arthur Brown, Khaseem Greene, Sio Moore, etc. are all candidates to be drafted in the top 100 and all are better replacements at WILL than big, lumbering guys like Minter and Te'o.