Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Has Manti Te'o been taken off the Ravens' board?

Happy Easter Sunday draft hounds! I am sitting here in sunny Orlando, Florida enjoying weather that I haven't seen since I was in Florida last year!

Anyway I was reading Walter football's Notre Dame pro day report, and while it was good for him that he got his 40 time down, about five team scouts told the guy that they don't view Te'o as a first round prospect and more of a 2nd-3rd round guy. They also noted that a team picking between 20 and 32 had completely taken him off their board due to "outside distractions".

Obviously that could be anyone. The Texans, GB, and Minnesota have needs at LB aswell as us. However, it just seems like they would report the "between 20-32" as a hint to say that it's Baltimore. If it was the Ravens who said that, it could have simply been a smoke screen. But when you look at Harbaugh's face watching Te'o run the 40, and the fact that Harbaugh can't stand high profile media attention, this report could actually have some truth to it.

What do y'all think?

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Happy Easter Sunday draft hounds! I am sitting here in sunny Orlando, Florida enjoying weather that I haven't seen since I was in Florida last year!

Anyway I was reading Walter football's Notre Dame pro day report, and while it was good for him that he got his 40 time down, about five team scouts told the guy that they don't view Te'o as a first round prospect and more of a 2nd-3rd round guy. They also noted that a team picking between 20 and 32 had completely taken him off their board due to "outside distractions".

Obviously that could be anyone. The Texans, GB, and Minnesota have needs at LB aswell as us. However, it just seems like they would report the "between 20-32" as a hint to say that it's Baltimore. If it was the Ravens who said that, it could have simply been a smoke screen. But when you look at Harbaugh's face watching Te'o run the 40, and the fact that Harbaugh can't stand high profile media attention, this report could actually have some truth to it.

What do y'all think?
    I don't know, but that clip of John shaking his head during Teo's 40 during the combine spoke volumes to me lol.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

Re: Has Manti Te'o been taken off the Ravens' board?

Eh, I don't think it'd be us. Things I see us removing guys from our draft board for would be injuries, character issues, lack of work ethic, etc. I don't think we'd care about the distractions if Te'o was hungry and had the work ethic of a wolf.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    Eh, I don't think it'd be us. Things I see us removing guys from our draft board for would be injuries, character issues, lack of work ethic, etc. I don't think we'd care about the distractions if Te'o was hungry and had the work ethic of a wolf.
    When was the last time the Ravens drafted or signed a high profile player with a bunch of media attention following him since Harbaugh has been here? I really can imagine Harbaugh requesting Ozzie to remove his name off the board because of that. The Ravens may think that all the attention and drama will affect Te'o on the field as well as off it.

Not saying I'm buying into this either, but I can also imagine Harbaugh not wanting anything to do with Te'o.

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    I don't know, but that clip of John shaking his head during Teo's 40 during the combine spoke volumes to me lol.
    Harbaugh is on record saying that was a media creation taken out of context and that he even called T'eo to set the record straight, so I wouldn't make too much of that.

I'm sure you want a link so I'll do my best to find one.

Blog Entries

John Harbaugh is on record of saying a lot of things, but they might not always match up with what he and Ozzie say behind the scenes. Come on, you are going to draft a guy foolish enough to fall for a fake girlfriend hoax, for years? You are going to put a million dollars in this guy's hands? Even when there are still inadequacies in the story as a whole? To play in the spot vacated by Ray Lewis?
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    John Harbaugh is on record of saying a lot of things, but they might not always match up with what he and Ozzie say behind the scenes. Come on, you are going to draft a guy foolish enough to fall for a fake girlfriend hoax, for years? You are going to put a million dollars in this guy's hands? Even when there are still inadequacies in the story as a whole? To play in the spot vacated by Ray Lewis?
    I think it's more foolish to pass on talent because the media blew up a soap opera story. The guy doesn't have a substance abuse problem. He never robbed anyone. He never beat anyone's ass off the field. He'd a fucking kid who got duped. Big fucking deal.

It's soap opera bullshit and you never would have heard so much about it if he didn't play for Notre Dame.

I wouldn't take him in round 1 because I don't think the value is there for the position, but all this shit about the hoax is media masturbation and I can't believe so many people fall for this shit.

It would be a really pathetic team that would take Te'o off their board entirely.

Quote Originally Posted by ursula View Post
    It would be a really pathetic team that would take Te'o off their board entirely.
    Dig it. Show me a staff or team that can't integrate someone like Te'o and his baggage into their locker room and I'll show you a pathetic, losing organization.
    Dude can flat out play football. He's just not a 1st rounder IMO.

I can see NYJ taking such a ridiculous stance.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    When was the last time the Ravens drafted or signed a high profile player with a bunch of media attention following him since Harbaugh has been here? I really can imagine Harbaugh requesting Ozzie to remove his name off the board because of that. The Ravens may think that all the attention and drama will affect Te'o on the field as well as off it.

Not saying I'm buying into this either, but I can also imagine Harbaugh not wanting anything to do with Te'o.
    We've also only had one John Harbaugh draft with a 1st pick higher than #20. Typically, the BIG HEADLINE type players are in the top 10 anyway. Would Michael Oher possibly count? He wasn't getting MAJOR headlines, but he was certainly a known figure in the media for The Blind Side book (ahead of the eventual movie). In any case, I can't think of any NFL prospect in the last 5 drafts that we even had a SHOT at that had these type of headlines.

I think if a lot of NFL teams remove him from the board, Ozzie will be rubbing his hands together and trying to dream up how late he can snag him for maximum value.

It could very well be us, but I think we'd remove him more because his talent doesn't fit our scheme or his character doesn't fit our mold, over something like "we don't want the distractions"
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

I could see Ozzie trading back taking BPA In the early 2nd and just waiting if teo falls and possibly trading up to get him if he slides far. I think he is overrated but I do think he has good instincts and with good coaching he could be a good pro player. I do not think he's off our board but Ozzie would only take him if it was at bargain value. Much like Daquan bowers a couple years ago, top 5 talent fell due to injury got picked up early second great value for that pick. He hasn't done anything but you catch my drift

I really wanna move back and then move back up in the 2nd with our natural 2nd. If we somehow came out of the 2nd round with Elam and Te'o I'd be estatic
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB