Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Daryl Smith?

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    Hope it happens and they are forever done with the ex Raider McClain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I must admit, Daryl Smith has been a guy I was hoping they'd target since FA kicked off back in February.

I just hope that he can stay healthy. Maybe the contract will include incentives (games played, snaps played, etc).
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

There's a ton of uncertainty at ILB, enough to almost necessitate bringing somebody in. Jameel McClain has not been cleared and at this point the buzz is that he's no longer "recovering" per se; he just can't get cleared to play. When a guy sits around not getting cleared to play it makes it hard to project the timeframe. He could be ready for camp, or he could start the year on the reserve/PUP. Who knows?

Arthur Brown is a 2nd round pick who is facing a big transition from Kansas' Cover-2 4-3 where all he did was read and react. He's going to be a 3-4 ILB here in an attacking style defense, and he looks extremely small in camp, which makes me wonder if he bulked up for his weigh-in but couldn't keep the weight on. I wouldn't count on him to start in year 1, but he should certainly carve out a nickel role.

Apparently McClellan showed up to camp overweight and out of shape as well, and is now sidelined with an injury. He's probably better suited to being a backup OLB and special teams player anyway.

So that leaves you with 3 practice squad caliber players in Bynes, Carr, and Hall... all of whom I'm rooting for, but only Bynes IMO has a legit shot to see real time at ILB. So the bottom line is that scanning through the depth chart we have question mark after question mark. If healthy, Smith would be at a minimum a great insurance policy, but best case scenario is he's a 1,000+ snaps player for us.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    There's a ton of uncertainty at ILB, enough to almost necessitate bringing somebody in. Jameel McClain has not been cleared and at this point the buzz is that he's no longer "recovering" per se; he just can't get cleared to play. When a guy sits around not getting cleared to play it makes it hard to project the timeframe. He could be ready for camp, or he could start the year on the reserve/PUP. Who knows?

Arthur Brown is a 2nd round pick who is facing a big transition from Kansas' Cover-2 4-3 where all he did was read and react. He's going to be a 3-4 ILB here in an attacking style defense, and he looks extremely small in camp, which makes me wonder if he bulked up for his weigh-in but couldn't keep the weight on. I wouldn't count on him to start in year 1, but he should certainly carve out a nickel role.

Apparently McClellan showed up to camp overweight and out of shape as well, and is now sidelined with an injury. He's probably better suited to being a backup OLB and special teams player anyway.

So that leaves you with 3 practice squad caliber players in Bynes, Carr, and Hall... all of whom I'm rooting for, but only Bynes IMO has a legit shot to see real time at ILB. So the bottom line is that scanning through the depth chart we have question mark after question mark. If healthy, Smith would be at a minimum a great insurance policy, but best case scenario is he's a 1,000+ snaps player for us.
    If McCllelan showed up out of shape and injured, he may find that he is not a lock to make the team. Good player, but if there are other, more hungry players like Carr, Bryant, Copeland (whom they really seem thrilled with), then McClellan may be looking for a job come September.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

I would love if this happened. I personally thought we should have looked at him much earlier, though I suppose it's no coincidence that we begin showing interest in him right after the June 1st cut off date for comp pick consideration.

If his health checks out this could be a huge steal for us. One of the most underrated LBs in the league for quite a while, just stuck in anonymity down in Jacksonville. He's the rare LB that is great in all facets of play, run stopping, pass coverage and pass rushing. We could even see him at OLB in certain packages. Make it happen Oz!

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    I don't think there is anything to read into about McClain. If Ozzie thinks X player will help the team at his price, he'll sign him. Who starts depends on who the coaches feel give them the best shot.
    Agreed. It has more to do with Rolando McClain retiring than anything about Jameel McClain's health, IMO.

After all, if they sign Smith, he's essentially replacing Rolando as a guy who is going to compete for a starting job.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

Could be something with MCclellan Shoulders

Quote Originally Posted by 13ub View Post
    Wait a minute lol.....depth....we're talking about a guy who has 2+ years of elite football left...maybe I misunderstood u but I believe he's being brought in to start
    Most guys signed at this time of the year aren't just handed starting jobs. They're going to get minimum (or close to minimum) salaried deals and are going to have to compete for a starting job. Let's face it - for whatever the reasons - there hasn't exactly been a market for his services.

That certainly doesn't mean that he won't start - in fact, if healthy, I would bet he would - but they're not just going to hand him the job when they've got a lot of guys already on the roster who are competing for those spots.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

Quote Originally Posted by B-more Ravor View Post
    Most guys signed at this time of the year aren't just handed starting jobs. They're going to get minimum (or close to minimum) salaried deals and are going to have to compete for a starting job. Let's face it - for whatever the reasons - there hasn't exactly been a market for his services.

That certainly doesn't mean that he won't start - in fact, if healthy, I would bet he would - but they're not just going to hand him the job when they've got a lot of guys already on the roster who are competing for those spots.
    Yeah the only time you would be picking up a surefire starter this late in the offseason is if a very good player gets cut for some reason.

He's most likely going to compete with McClain and Brown, and is an insurance policy should either of their injuries prove problematic. Even if they both are good to go week 1, I think he will still see plenty of time in our 3rd down packages, and potentially even more when we play the pass-heavy teams. All this assuming we sign him of course.

Quote Originally Posted by B-more Ravor View Post

You sign him this time of year because he is an Unrestricted Free Agent. You don't lose any draft picks in 2014 by signing him after June 2. He was probably looking for a big money deal and wasn't able to find a suitor. Without the big contract out there he chooses to chase a ring. If he signs, he comes in day 1 as the starter.

Agree with bmorecareful:

We have "3 practice squad caliber players in Bynes, Carr, and Hall," a questionable Jameel, and a 2nd round pick who is strictly "potential" at this point. IF we make this move, I'm for it.

Quote Originally Posted by houstonravensfan View Post
    Agree with bmorecareful:

We have "3 practice squad caliber players in Bynes, Carr, and Hall," a questionable Jameel, and a 2nd round pick who is strictly "potential" at this point. IF we make this move, I'm for it.
    Don't sleep on Brandon Copeland. That's my boy. He'll probably be practice squad, but still.

Quote Originally Posted by 13ub View Post
    Its official...he will sign tomorrow. ...he's been there since last night
    Well "tomorrow" is today, and still no news. Besides, they had a White House visit today. :)

Still waiting for the news to break....

Report: Ravens, LB Daryl Smith Have Mutual Interest

While the link to Russell may be flimsy, the Ravens’ interest in veteran free agent linebacker Daryl Smith is reportedly much stronger.

Smith is “firmly on the Ravens' radar” and the two sides are having ongoing dialogue, according to Aaron Wilson of The Baltimore Sun.

No deal has been struck, but the attraction appears to be mutual. The Ravens are thin at inside linebacker and would like to add veteran experience. Smith reportedly would like to join the world champs.

“If a contract is worked out, the Ravens aren't expected to make a major financial investment,” Wilson wrote.

A 10-year veteran, Smith is the Jacksonville Jaguars’ all-time leading tackler. He only played in two games last year because of a groin injury, but started all 16 games the previous three years and notched about 100 tackles in each.

“He has a reputation as a sound tackler with good range and leadership skills,” Wilson wrote.

The Ravens’ only primary experienced linebacker is Jameel McClain, who is still recovering from a spinal cord contusion. The team could use the experience of the 31-year-old Smith who has recorded 678 career tackles, 21 1/2 sacks, six interceptions and nine forced fumbles.

But before a deal can be stuck, Wilson says the Ravens need to evaluate Smith’s health to determine whether he has recovered from his injury.