Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 101112
    Blog Entries

Re: Daryl Smith? Yes he is now a Raven

I really like this move by the ravens. Ronaldo McClain's deal was for a max amount of $1.1 million. It looks like the Ravens just added a little bit to that amount and signed a proven ILB instead. He passed his physical, but as long as Smith stays healthy this year, he will be a valuable addition.

Re: Daryl Smith?

Quote Originally Posted by bt12483 View Post
    I wonder if this tips their hand regarding mcclains injury, or if this is just a typical Ozzie bargain move for depth.

I don't read, watch, listen, surf as much as a lot of posters here, but it seems like the Ravens are counting on Jameel being ready to go (they could just be whistling through the graveyard). If health of others on the roster played into Smith's signing, was it more likely concern over Arthur Brown's sports hernia? Any how, certainly would qualify as bargain depth move and a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by 13ub View Post
    ever heard of london fletcher?.....he's no london...but being in a bigger market now and if he has a good solid year under his belt...he'll likely have a chance at a 2 to 3 year deal somewhere.
    I believe that the Ravens are one of the best platforms nationally in which to get noticed for defensive accomplishments. He's definately very visible here opposed to other places that maybe bigger markets, but the defense just doesn't get the attention nationally. It's smart all the way around.

One of the best

Outside linebacker Daryl Smith became an ex-Jaguars player Wednesday when he signed a one-year contract with the Baltimore Ravens. The Jaguars had decided early in the offseason that their youth movement didn’t include the 32-year old Smith.

Asked how much he liked playing alongside Smith, middle linebacker Paul Posluszny said: “I didn’t like it, I loved it. … He was the best linebacker I’ve ever played with even though we had just that one year together [2011] when we were on the field game after game.

“As soon as he told me he had signed, I texted him and told him it was an honor and a privilege to play with him. He’s a true professional. I can’t say enough good things about Daryl — I could stand here all day and say good things about him.”
    http://jacksonville.com/sports/footb...Times-Union%29
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

:respect

Aaron Wilson ‏@RavensInsider
    Ravens linebacker Daryl Smith broke Ray Lewis' single-season LB franchise record with 17 pass deflections, four more than Lewis in 2003

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Justlovemybirds View Post
    :respect
    Nice find. Smith has been incredible in the pass game

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Damn near across the board statistically, Daryl Smith at age 31 > Ray Lewis at age 31.
    More importantly, Smith cost Ozzie $1.125M.
    Ray at age 31 (2006) was in the middle of a 7 year/$50M deal.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post
    Damn near across the board statistically, Daryl Smith at age 31 > Ray Lewis at age 31.
    More importantly, Smith cost Ozzie $1.125M.
    Ray at age 31 (2006) was in the middle of a 7 year/$50M deal.
    I don't agree with that. He is certainly better than 2011-2012 Ray but I don't think he's quite at Ray's 2006 level. He may have Ray beat against the pass but IMO it's not even close against the run.

Quote Originally Posted by BSHU View Post
    I don't agree with that. He is certainly better than 2011-2012 Ray but I don't think he's quite at Ray's 2006 level. He may have Ray beat against the pass but IMO it's not even close against the run.
    Agreed. Smith has been a great pickup, especially for the money. Top notch LB defending the pass and a good blitzer, but as far as being stout against the run, he's not even in the same stratosphere as Ray in his prime. Ray, when it came to shutting down the middle and chasing down ball carriers sideline to sideline, was the best I've ever seen and I go all the way back to the days of Butkus.

Then there was his leadership, a true coach on the field. Not to mention the intimidation factor from his thunderous hits, which I know affected many opponents performances. Also, his uncanny knack for big plays at big moments. There have been more than a few times this season when the defense couldn't get off the field late in the game that I said to myself that this wouldn't be happening if #52 were still here and playing at his usual level.

None of this is meant as a knock on Smith who has been a terrific, pleasant surprise, Pro Bowl caliber even. Just felt compelled to make the distinction when he and Lewis are put in the same sentence.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BSHU View Post
    2008 Rashard Mendenhal would agree against the run.

He will never be early Ray (SB MVP) but his angle to cutting off the corner is a lot tighter than Ray's the last 4 years.

17 pass deflections is better than any other LB we have had.... Ray's record was 13 in 2003 and that was the best pass defending LB we had ever had (Sorry Ellerbe, Bart, Sharper, Boulware.....Brad Jackson ;) )

Ed Reed's best was 16 in 2008 and in 2010 (what I don't know is if an INT counts as a PD or is separate (he had 9 on '08 and 8 in '10)
    at one point of my life I was exactly Pi years old