Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Pees: Upshaw could play inside linebacker

Quote Originally Posted by Tolucaraven View Post
    The guy is a peanut over 6" 2, at 270, you cant lower that weight based on his build and height, for every inch is about 10lbs of weight. He cant drop weight without losing strenght and durability, he is tall.
    I totally understand what you're saying here, and people often forget that height compensates for weight. Use Ray Rice as an example here, he's like 5'8, and so people assume he's really small and not strong at all, when he actually has a really thick build and weighs 212 lbs which is heavy for that height, if he was 6'2, he'd probably weigh closer to 230 lbs with the way that he's built.

With that said, he still looks a little heavy and bulky to play ILB, and you probably want him down to around 255 lbs (he played at around 265 last year).

Blog Entries

There is far too much purple coolaid in this thread. Upshaw is a 4-3 end were trying to make a sam LB, which even that will push his physical limits. No more square pegs in round holes. His future is at sam, ozzie will fill in the rest.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    I totally understand what you're saying here, and people often forget that height compensates for weight. Use Ray Rice as an example here, he's like 5'8, and so people assume he's really small and not strong at all, when he actually has a really thick build and weighs 212 lbs which is heavy for that height, if he was 6'2, he'd probably weigh closer to 230 lbs with the way that he's built.

With that said, he still looks a little heavy and bulky to play ILB, and you probably want him down to around 255 lbs (he played at around 265 last year).
    Yes, but he is wide shouldered. He is alot taller than most LBer period. Actually based on bodyweight to height Ellerbe, Scott, and Lewis in the past where heavier. He cant lose anymore weight. He is a TALL dude, I stood next to him this year, he has no good weight to lose, he is pretty thick and all muscle and actually on the lean side. I don't see it, you mess with a guys weight too much you cause negative returns. Upshaw probably hasnt been in the 260's since he was a freshman or in HS.

At one point Ray Lewis at 6'1 weighed around 260 and before last season cut his weight down to under 240 so it can be done.For all we know at this point ILB could turn out to be Upshaws best position or it may not but it's still early in his career so it's not as if you're thinking about moving a player who has already established himself at a certain position in the league.Upshaw is still a work in progress and needs as much PT as possible.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    There is far too much purple coolaid in this thread. Upshaw is a 4-3 end were trying to make a sam LB, which even that will push his physical limits. No more square pegs in round holes. His future is at sam, ozzie will fill in the rest.

Are you a GM? or Talent scout? I'm not, but I think the front office and LBers coach knows a bit better than we do. Saban, even said a 2 years ago, Upshaw would make a good ILB or OLB, that he was very athletic, smart and flexible. Remember Saban and Ozzie are good freinds and where together in Cleveland.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TDL1000 View Post
    At one point Ray Lewis at 6'1 weighed around 260 and before last season cut his weight down to under 240 so it can be done.For all we know at this point ILB could turn out to be Upshaws best position or it may not but it's still early in his career so it's not as if you're thinking about moving a player who has already established himself at a certain position in the league.Upshaw is still a work in progress and needs as much PT as possible.
    Yes, Ray did get close to 260, but didnt last long, Ray has small legs and calves. Always has. Upshaw has a stonger lower body in his calves and thighs, that is not fat just power. Ray was listed at 6'1" but Upshaw is listed a little over 6'2" and 1 inch equals usually about 10 lbs of body weight.

The Line probably looks like this Mcphee/Jones Ngata Canty/Spears upfront with Cody, Tyson and Hall as backups baring draft moves.
    OLB Dumerville, McClain, Upshaw and Suggs at this point. Then McCllellan, Bynes and draft or FA moves. Thats a pretty good front 7 right thier.

CB's Webb, Graham, Smith, Brown, Jackson and draft picks//FA's

S Huff, Idehigbo, Thompson and Brown before draft and FA's. The Ravens D looks faster, bigger and younger than in years past.

Blog Entries

This is a smokescreen.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Are you a GM? or Talent scout? I'm not, but I think the front office and LBers coach knows a bit better than we do. Saban, even said a 2 years ago, Upshaw would make a good ILB or OLB, that he was very athletic, smart and flexible. Remember Saban and Ozzie are good freinds and where together in Cleveland.
    No i am not, but i can see when a guy cant guard his shadow being asked to fall back in zone or run with rbs the majority of the time is asking too much. Pernell mcphee is a great athlete at 270-280, why doesnt he just cut to 250-260 and be our ILB? Why doesnt christian thompson put on 20lbs and play there? Because guys have certain body types and skillsets that dont translate to every position just because we have a need. Asking a guy that cant cover to cover that much more is just counter productive. Get somebody thats actually able to play that skillset which is most definitely what ozzie will do.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

No i am not, but i can see when a guy cant guard his shadow being asked to fall back in zone or run with rbs the majority of the time is asking too much. Pernell mcphee is a great athlete at 270-280, why doesnt he just cut to 250-260 and be our ILB? Why doesnt christian thompson put on 20lbs and play there? Because guys have certain body types and skillsets that dont translate to every position just because we have a need. Asking a guy that cant cover to cover that much more is just counter productive. Get somebody thats actually able to play that skillset which is most definitely what ozzie will do.
    IMO, and Saban's he thought Upshaw had the movement, IQ to play inside in the NFL. As far as Mcphee he 6'3" already has less fat on him than skinny lowfat latte. Start changing body weights you can run into problems coupled with postion changes. I will defer to Pees, Ozzie and Saban's judgement. The myth of Ellerbe as a good cover LB is greatly exaggerated, he graded out as one of the worst. McPhee has such a great power rush with heavy hands he is a natural DE and pass rushing DT in packages, @ Miss St, he was triple teamed on most plays his senior season, cause he was such a beast, hence a low sack total that last year. Plus, Mcphee has a talent for batting balls also.

Blog Entries

IMO, and Saban's he thought Upshaw had the movement, IQ to play inside in the NFL. As far as Mcphee he 6'3" already has less fat on him than skinny lowfat latte. Start changing body weights you can run into problems coupled with postion changes. I will defer to Pees, Ozzie and Saban's judgement. The myth of Ellerbe as a good cover LB is greatly exaggerated, he graded out as one of the worst. McPhee has such a great power rush with heavy hands he is a natural DE and pass rushing DT in packages, @ Miss St, he was triple teamed on most plays his senior season, cause he was such a beast, hence a low sack total that last year. Plus, Mcphee has a talent for batting balls also.
    you have to realize, especially this time of year, theres a big difference in what tbey say and what they end up doing. Coaches get paid to put players in position to maximize strengths and minimize weaknesses (or in sabans case, to get them drafted higher to help recruiting efforts). Even if you take their coach speak and ignore the tape, its still not a strength in which he would utilize. His strength is edge setting and bull rushing. Thats how they use him, because thats how hes most effective.
    -JAB

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    This is a smokescreen.
    Yeh I said in my first post that was my thought... But also they need guys to have some abilities to play other positions even if just when due to injury

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

you have to realize, especially this time of year, theres a big difference in what tbey say and what they end up doing. Coaches get paid to put players in position to maximize strengths and minimize weaknesses (or in sabans case, to get them drafted higher to help recruiting efforts). Even if you take their coach speak and ignore the tape, its still not a strength in which he would utilize. His strength is edge setting and bull rushing. Thats how they use him, because thats how hes most effective.
    Yes I understand coach speak. But Saban and Oz are very good freinds from going back to Cleveland, he isnt going to jive talk Ozzie. Yes, everything gets taken with grain of salt at this time of year. But, signing Canty, Spears and having Jones/Mcphee and then placing all that effort in getting Doom, obviously shows they can think Upshaw can play 1 of the 2 ILB spots. Why sign Doom and put Upshaw on the bench? You want Suggs, Doom and Upshaw on the feild together as much as possible.