Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: Pees: Upshaw could play inside linebacker

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    In certain packages, I could see it. However, I hope they get him to shed some weight this off-season. 270+lbs is too big for an ILB.
    There's no doubt that Upshaw was too heavy, particularly at the start of the season. I think that's more of a product of not having any kind of structure surrounding nutrition and eating habits.

Not sure if anyone saw it or not, but there was a program on NFL Network called "Hey Rookie, Welcome to the NFL" or something like that, and it followed 6-8 rookies in the pre-draft process, including Upshaw, and leading up to the Alabama Pro Day, Upshaw was talking about really wanting to come in lighter than he'd been at the Combine (272 lbs), that he wanted to be closer to 265, then upon weigh-in, he was actually seven pounds HEAVIER...coming in at 279 lbs.

When you're working out like mad with trainers, in one of the most high-profile football programs in the country, and are aiming for a goal weight 7 pounds under, but come in 7 pounds over, that's nutrition.

A year in the Ravens program, surrounded by guys like Suggs (who know first-hand the problems that can result from a less-than-ideal diet), I expect him to be in the 260-265 range when Training Camp ends this season.

I am happy that they'll at least consider cross-training Upshaw to the ILB spot...but I think it is all but certain that we'll have a drafted player at that position from the first three rounds (my widely stated preference being Arthur Brown Jr. from Kansas State).

I thought he played ILB at Alabama a few times?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TDL1000 View Post
    At the combine last year Upshaw was 6-2 272 and ran a 4.74 40.If they can get his weight down into the 260 area I see no reason why that wouldn't improve his speed which should translate into his ability to cover.When you consider the ILB's that they are looking in round one are mostly running their 40's in the 4.65 range there really isn't all that much difference.
    That's funny because Upshaw didn't run at the combine.

He ran at Alabama's pro-day and clocked a 4.73 and a 4.76. While that's not too bad, his 10-yard split was really disappointing. IIRC it was around a 1.82 or something like that.

His lateral agility is also not that great. He's an excellent north/south guy, but he doesn't change direction well. I think he would have a tough time honestly as an inside linebacker.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

I see him eventually replacing suggs and playing some ILB this year if he can get down to 260, he will be just like Elerbie if not better. Upshaw can be exactly what Woodley is once suggs leaves if he can get down to 260. he has the streghnth and some speed and just needs to work on his pass rush moves but that can be taught. he obiv can do it since he did it at bama and we saw glimpces of it.

I dont see us taking a ILB early, I see us taking BPA like we always do and most likely if there are a number of players who we have 1st round grades on still there at 32 trading back to the 5-6 spot in the 2nd round.

Remember there are still alot of cheap FAs out there....

Quote Originally Posted by Benny8444 View Post
    I see him eventually replacing suggs and playing some ILB this year if he can get down to 260, he will be just like Elerbie if not better. Upshaw can be exactly what Woodley is once suggs leaves if he can get down to 260. he has the streghnth and some speed and just needs to work on his pass rush moves but that can be taught. he obiv can do it since he did it at bama and we saw glimpces of it.
    Maybe, I dunno. The draft reports I read on him were that he had premium edge-setting skills, but lacked the pure athleticism necessary to be considered an elite pass-rusher, and got the better of the starting RTs at the college level mostly thru a relentless drive.

I think he was brought here more to replace JJ.

I have said this since we took him in the draft. He is a thumper who is pretty mobile.

I hate all things Steelers but he could be a Lavon Kirkland type inside LB.

Blog Entries

There is some precedence to this move...Both Albert McClellan and Jameel McClain started out as OLB type players before getting moved inside.

I'd like to see him prove cover skills before he becomes a key contributor at ILB. But I could see some deceptive packages where he lines up at ILB with Doom and Sizzle outside, and then any 2 of the 3 rush the passer. Makes it a lot harder to gameplan against our pass rush.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

I wouldn't put too much into this at this early point.
    Pees likes to have his players know all their respective positions (linemen know all the other linemen positions, LBs know all the other LB positions, etc) so that he doesn't have great players on the bench while a lesser talented player is in because they don't know all the positions.
    It is a smart concept, and one that probably Rex Ryan might have employed here as well...so your players can move around pre-snap to mask what your real intentions are...and to just keep your opponent guessing and increases chances of missed blocking assignments upfront.

And here is another thing. If our outside pass rush consistently gets there and forces the ball out early...it will help whoever is playing ILB for they will have to cover for less distance and time.
    It appears to me our bend but don't break defense may morph into an attacking defense while our offense puts up points to force opponents out of their game plan.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    He'd get absolutely eaten alive in pass coverage.

Maybe this would work in short yardage, but a full time ILB?...I don't see it at all.

Even bringing in another fast ILB doesn't solve it...he can't only blitz and he is going to have to cover people...you can only hide guys so much in today's pass happy NFL.
    I dont know, he covered receivers pretty well as an OLB, he cant be worse than Lewis was last year or Ellerbe. Ellerbe graded out as one of the worst MLB's last season vs the pass. He also has height which Ellerbe and Lewis lacked. 4 inches or so taller than Ellerbe and better football instincts, coaches rave about how much of a fast learner he is. Actually, Upshaw made the best defensive play in the SB causing a fumble by forcing the RB wide and chasing him down and causing a fumble. He is pretty versatile. Got to have Upshaw, Doom and Suggs on the feild on all times. Plus, with Canty, Ngata and McPhee that will provide alot of tall arms to bat balls down at the line.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Benny8444 View Post

I dont see us taking a ILB early, I see us taking BPA like we always do and most likely if there are a number of players who we have 1st round grades on still there at 32 trading back to the 5-6 spot in the 2nd round.

Remember there are still alot of cheap FAs out there....
    i doubt he can get down to 260, he isnt fat at all, actually kind of lean based on his build. He is taller than Woodley. He is at his bodyweight, dont want to see him change weight and position, too much too soon anyway, that screwed Kruger for a year or two. He is too tall and his frame to big to get down that low.

Blog Entries

Get him to drop some weight and pair him up with someone who is ultra athletic like an Alec Ogletree or an Arthur Brown. Then you have the best of both worlds.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Get him to drop some weight and pair him up with someone who is ultra athletic like an Alec Ogletree or an Arthur Brown. Then you have the best of both worlds.
    The guy is a peanut over 6" 2, at 270, you cant lower that weight based on his build and height, for every inch is about 10lbs of weight. He cant drop weight without losing strenght and durability, he is tall.