Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Pees: Upshaw could play inside linebacker

In certain packages, I could see it. However, I hope they get him to shed some weight this off-season. 270+lbs is too big for an ILB. There's no way he'll be able to cover anyone and even if he is a two-down ILB, he's going to have to be able to drop into zones and cover someone.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

So hes not good enough to drop into coverage on the outside, but he is on the inside? Obvious running downs or as a passrusher only sure, but theyd probably audible out and take advantage (not unlike they did with ray, who was a helluva lot better at it than upshaw ever will be). Id prefer a better option.
    -JAB

Until they get everyone on the field together they are just talkin'.......btw the more I see of Doom the more I like.
    Way Down South in New Orleans

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    So hes not good enough to drop into coverage on the outside, but he is on the inside? Obvious running downs or as a passrusher only sure, but theyd probably audible out and take advantage (not unlike they did with ray, who was a helluva lot better at it than upshaw ever will be). Id prefer a better option.
    Agreed.

The days of the Levon Kirkland inside linebacker are long gone.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

At the combine last year Upshaw was 6-2 272 and ran a 4.74 40.If they can get his weight down into the 260 area I see no reason why that wouldn't improve his speed which should translate into his ability to cover.When you consider the ILB's that they are looking in round one are mostly running their 40's in the 4.65 range there really isn't all that much difference.

Blog Entries

He isn't even 270 + anymore, he was playng at around 265 this year. If he drops another 10 lbs this offseason, I could see it happening. He is obviously really good against the run, would be a good interior blitzer, and could possibly improve his coverage skills.

I think Pees is just thinking about all of his potential options right now. Upshaw is a good player and he needs to find a way to get him on the field. Given the void at ILB that might be a good option.
    "I don't know a man on this Earth who can outwork me". Ray Lewis

Blog Entries

People, straight line speed isnt the key to covering. Hip flexibility, quick reactions, and burst are. All things that upshawhasnt shown ability to be physically capable of. He loses weight he may gain a little, but not nearly the amount he would need. hes a mauler and bull rusher that can set the edge. No need to put a square peg in a round hole. Let ozzie find a guy thats far better suited.
    -JAB

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    People, straight line speed isnt the key to covering. Hip flexibility, quick reactions, and burst are. All things that upshawhasnt shown ability to be physically capable of. He loses weight he may gain a little, but not nearly the amount he would need. hes a mauler and bull rusher that can set the edge. No need to put a square peg in a round hole. Let ozzie find a guy thats far better suited.
    Unlike the failed Oher at LT experiment Upshaw really hasn't been given the opportunity to show if he is or is not capable of playing ILB.Do we really know how good he is/isn't in coverage at this point?

As a pure run defender he could succeed. Think of Bart Scott's old job of taking on FBs and guards so Ray could scrape and make hits in the hole uncontested. Coverage would obviously be a weakness, but presumably this move would be predicated on bringing in a speedy (and potentially less physical) linebacker in the draft or free agency to compliment him. Think Jerod Mayo, big, strong, and a stiff, but unmovable between the A and B gaps.

Pees is trying to get his best 4 backers on the field at once. I don't blame him for at least experimenting with this configuration.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

He'd get absolutely eaten alive in pass coverage.

Maybe this would work in short yardage, but a full time ILB?...I don't see it at all.

Even bringing in another fast ILB doesn't solve it...he can't only blitz and he is going to have to cover people...you can only hide guys so much in today's pass happy NFL.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries
    Nothing wrong with seeing what he can do, worse case in the event of the injury bug. But I do expect them to draft inside guys

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!