Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
In certain packages, I could see it. However, I hope they get him to shed some weight this off-season. 270+lbs is too big for an ILB.
There's no doubt that Upshaw was too heavy, particularly at the start of the season. I think that's more of a product of not having any kind of structure surrounding nutrition and eating habits.

Not sure if anyone saw it or not, but there was a program on NFL Network called "Hey Rookie, Welcome to the NFL" or something like that, and it followed 6-8 rookies in the pre-draft process, including Upshaw, and leading up to the Alabama Pro Day, Upshaw was talking about really wanting to come in lighter than he'd been at the Combine (272 lbs), that he wanted to be closer to 265, then upon weigh-in, he was actually seven pounds HEAVIER...coming in at 279 lbs.

When you're working out like mad with trainers, in one of the most high-profile football programs in the country, and are aiming for a goal weight 7 pounds under, but come in 7 pounds over, that's nutrition.

A year in the Ravens program, surrounded by guys like Suggs (who know first-hand the problems that can result from a less-than-ideal diet), I expect him to be in the 260-265 range when Training Camp ends this season.

I am happy that they'll at least consider cross-training Upshaw to the ILB spot...but I think it is all but certain that we'll have a drafted player at that position from the first three rounds (my widely stated preference being Arthur Brown Jr. from Kansas State).