Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Guess who ran the 4.67?

Didn't Suggs drop to the Ravens at number 10 because of a slow 40, when initially he had been projected as a top 3 pick? I realize he's not an inside LB, but still, same concept. I remember Ozzie took about 3 seconds to make the pick! He said afterwards that Suggs was the only top 10 player going into the draft that they could think of no scenario in which he would fall to number 10. Lucky for us, teams overrated the importance of the 40.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    I agree.

I mean I think Minter will be a solid starter, but I don't care what the workout numbers are, saying he is just as athletic as some of those others doesn't pass the eye test on film at all.
    My point was that he isn't the only guy you can place under those circumstances. However, his 'average' combine numbers were used to prove a point in discussions on the board, where other players who did not play as fast were not treated the same.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Pro Days are bullshit. That's why they founded the Combine. Teams were fed up with the manipulation and wanted a controlled environment these tests. At Pro Days players have to out do whatever they did at the Combine because there is doubt as to their validity.

Blog Entries

You all might as well face the reality that Kevin Minter fits the bill of the type of defender Ozzie likes to draft. As another poster mentioned, very few of the ultra athletic defenders Ozzie has drafted were successful here. I could count them on one hand: Chris McAlister, Ray Lewis, Haloti Ngata, Lardarius Webb.

Terrell Suggs was considered slow. Courtney Upshaw was considered slow. Jarret Johnson was considered slow. Ed Reed was not considered the most athletic Safety in the draft either.

Those players are guys who will play their assignment, with high quality technique and will do far less to lose you a game. As a result, collectively, they took over games.

Posters are getting caught up in this idea that they need speed to keep up with these TEs and so forth. The real weakness was run defense and Ozzie has focused on that first. If you can't run the ball, you can try to TE somebody to death for four quarters, but there are only a few QBs with the ability to do it.

All of those years with Jarret Johnson and while everyone loved JJ, posters were dying for someone on that side with more athleticism. They tried Sergio Kindle, he cracked his head and who did they follow that up with? Drafting Courtney Upshaw a few years later.

Minter is not a snail. He has the instincts. He is a reliable tackler, and he does a better job of shedding blocks than any other ILB in this draft.

One of two things are going to happen. Either Ozzie will decide that none of the ILBs are worth taking early.....and speaking of which, who was Ozzie going to draft at ILB if New England hadn't traded up to get him? Slow poke Dont'a Hightower. Back to the point, in this first scenario, Ozzie will once again rely on UDFAs to fill spots at ILB.

If Ozzie takes a ILB in the first two rounds, you guys are just going to have to accept the reality that Kevin Minter fits the bill of who they would pick. The ILB's main job is to see the play, attack the play and stop the play. Ogletree is more athletic, but plays ILB too reactive to perform well here. T'eo works, but he's just as athletic as Minter yet had to drop weight to get there.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

and speaking of which, who was Ozzie going to draft at ILB if New England hadn't traded up to get him? Slow poke Dont'a Hightower.
    Not sure if this is true or just speculation

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    if New England hadn't traded up to get him? Slow poke Dont'a Hightower. Back to the point, in this first scenario, Ozzie will once again rely on UDFAs to fill spots at ILB.
    Can you post the link to the article where anyone in the FO stated this.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    WE DON'T NEED YOUR RESPECT BUT WE WILL BEAT UP ON YOU AND TAKE YOUR SOUL!!!!!!!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    Not sure if this is true or just speculation
    It's one of those fan facts. DeCosta will sometimes talk about different players like he did with Gronkowski and Sheard but I've never once heard him mention Hightower. Hightower was on the short list for the fans and media which does not mean shit in reality.

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    You all might as well face the reality that Kevin Minter fits the bill of the type of defender Ozzie likes to draft.

Minter is not a snail. He has the instincts. He is a reliable tackler, and he does a better job of shedding blocks than any other ILB in this draft.

If Ozzie takes a ILB in the first two rounds, you guys are just going to have to accept the reality that Kevin Minter fits the bill of who they would pick. The ILB's main job is to see the play, attack the play and stop the play. Ogletree is more athletic, but plays ILB too reactive to perform well here. T'eo works, but he's just as athletic as Minter yet had to drop weight to get there.
    Here's is Lance Zierlein from The Sideline View summing up Minter. I think it is pretty good:

Kevin Minter isn't going to wow you with anything he does in all honest. He's fluid with his movements from sideline to sideline, but his closing burst is just average. He's a solid tackler but nothing spectacular. He's serviceable in coverage, but nothing more. What I do like about Minter is that he's productive in the box against physical offenses. He's NFL-ready.
    It is good to see what Zierlein says about the other ILB's and other prospects too. (He places Minter 4th and at best he thinks the top guys here are borderline 1st round prospects at best.) But he really nails Minter I think: solid with no spectacular traits. He could very well be the Ravens pick...but so could Ogletree or Brown or Te'o or a little later Greene, or Alonzo or Bostic or hell Ozzie might just wait til the draft is over and pick up some unknown and undrafted guy who is made to learn the ILB position like he's done so many times before. Or do a combination of ILB moves.

Minter is definitely on the radar of the Ravens but does he stand out as much better than his peers? Nope. None of them really do to be honest. But Sword, tell us this: what does Minter bring to the table that Upshaw or McClellan or even Bynes don't? Coverage skills? No. Blitzing? No. Tackling? No. Range? No. Honestly Minter does not bring a different skill set.

Of the better rated ILB's probably only Brown in particular and maybe Ogletree, Te'o, and Greene could enhance our current ILB corps because they look like they could cover on passing downs better than what we already have. Otherwise we'll be seeing a lot of nickel and dime secondary sets because we have to do better at covering over the middle than we have the last couple of years. If so we could be seeing a CB drafted high...

Blog Entries

The fans are more concerned with ILBs that can cover than the coaching staff. It's been like this for years.

Would not be overly thrilled with Minter at 32. If Ozzie traded back a little picked up a pick and took him in the top half of the second though that would be decent pick IMO.

I like Reid @ S and I like Chris Faulk as OT. Good size, speed and athleticism prior to his injury. He could be steal for someone depending how far he falls back due to not being able to fully work out

Tyran Mathieu is intriguing but his value is starting to approach the point were he risky as many are projecting him in the 3rd now.
    “A linebacker's job is to knock out running backs, to knock out receivers, to chase the football,”
    -Ray Lewis