Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: A Trade on Draft Day Possible?

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    I heard Scott Pioli about a month ago talk about his time with the Patriots. One of their goals every year was to trade a lower round pick for a higher one the following year. He was very proud of the fact that the Pats turned a 6th round pick into a 3rd in 3 years. With this many picks I look for Ozzie to do the same thing.
    But Ozzie doesn't really do that. When he trades back, he gets like 3rd or 4th round picks. Bill asks for 1st rounders in the next year and rapes the other team up the butt. A fun little tidbit is that the reason that we were able to get Ogden and R Lewis in the same draft is that as one of Bill's last acts as coach of the Browns, he pulled one of his classic trade backs to get the 1996 first rounder.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Coastergenius View Post
    But Ozzie doesn't really do that. When he trades back, he gets like 3rd or 4th round picks. Bill asks for 1st rounders in the next year and rapes the other team up the butt. A fun little tidbit is that the reason that we were able to get Ogden and R Lewis in the same draft is that as one of Bill's last acts as coach of the Browns, he pulled one of his classic trade backs to get the 1996 first rounder.
    A couple of years later Ozzie did that kind of trade too and we were able get Jamal Lewis and Travis Taylor in the top 10 of the 1st round the following year.

A couple of years later Ozzie did that kind of trade too and we were able get Jamal Lewis and Travis Taylor in the top 10 of the 1st round the following year.
    As I recall, it was a trade with Atlanta the previous year. Then Atlanta had a horrendous season and we ended up with the 5th overall pick! Sweet deal, except for the unfortunate draft of Taylor at number 10. But Jamaal was a winner anyway.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mickeyotc View Post
    As I recall, it was a trade with Atlanta the previous year. Then Atlanta had a horrendous season and we ended up with the 5th overall pick! Sweet deal, except for the unfortunate draft of Taylor at number 10. But Jamaal was a winner anyway.
    Yeah, Atlanta had a terrible season because Jamaal Anderson tore his ACL. That is how the Ravens got Jamal Lewis. Too bad they them missed on Travis Taylor.

Blog Entries

I look for Ozzie to trade down for even more bodies - up to 14 picks. Draft is deep enough to get what he needs with the extra #2s ala Dickson and PItta who just won the SB for him.

Regardless of whether or not New England squandered the picks the philosophy behind their approach is sound.Continuously upgrade your picks from year to year and in time reap the benefits by setting yourself up for better quality of players.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    I look for Ozzie to trade down for even more bodies - up to 14 picks. Draft is deep enough to get what he needs with the extra #2s ala Dickson and PItta who just won the SB for him.
    I don't think this means the Ravens are going to trade down. It may mean that they are not going to take an ILB with heir first two picks though. I think Ozzie goes for a WR or OT with that first pick. It is pointless to draft 14 players, since a good number of them would not make the team.

I heard Scott Pioli about a month ago talk about his time with the Patriots. One of their goals every year was to trade a lower round pick for a higher one the following year. He was very proud of the fact that the Pats turned a 6th round pick into a 3rd in 3 years. With this many picks I look for Ozzie to do the same thing.
    I saw that piece as well. One interesting thing I learned watching that is that Pioli was in Cleveland with Bellechick when Ozzie was a GM in training. So I can see some of Pioli in Ozzie, the way he goes about planning for draft day.

With 12 picks the options are almost unlimited. I do think his first priority will be to fill the LT, and ILB positions. I could see him packaging some picks to move up first, then maybe trading a pick or two for a higher spot next year.
    "I don't know a man on this Earth who can outwork me". Ray Lewis

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mickeyotc View Post
    Yes, and I believe (coming from my feeble brain now) that we traded our 2nd round pick to the Falcons. They picked (again I'm going from memory) a TE named Bishop (?) please correct me if I'm wrong... Bc

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt1 View Post
    I don't think this means the Ravens are going to trade down...
    You may be right, but I've got a feeling Ozzie does trade down into the 2nd round, then uses his later round choices to trade up when necessary (like he did last year to get Pierce for instance). The Ravens could possibly end up with two 2nds and two 3rds... Bc

I'm almost certain we do multiple trade ups - no way 12 rookies make the roster so it would just be a waste.

I can, however, see ozzie trading back out of the first, and using the acquired picks to trade up, like many have said. Ozzie having ammo to trade up in the mid rounds to nab those 'value' guys he's so well known for finding. Ozzie has the means to nail this draft, and if he does that'll be 2 VERY good drafts in a row, and will set us up as favourites for years to come.

There will def be trades and more than 3 most likely as the other poster said 12 rookies plus UDFAs wont all make the roster or PS for that matter and we usually like to keep a UDFA or 2 on the 53 man roster and then 1 on the PS then stash some on IR add 12 draft picks to the mix, it would be a waste as we would be cutting half of the players we get either by drafting them or signing them as a UDFA.

My guess is he sits back at 32 and if there are multiple players there who he has first rd grades on he moves back into the 2nd round then moves up with #62 or if there is a player falling who is a top 15 tallent I see a trade up but no higher than the low 20s as he wont want to give up a 2nd or 3rd. I can see us playing around with our 4-7s and moving out of the 1st which would give us multiple picks in rounds 2-4 esp if we play around our low round picks and package them that would give us more another 4th and possibly another 3rd and we always have the comp picks.

I can see us trading a 5th and 2 6ths for a mid 4th.

There is no way we keep all 12 picks. Oz loves picks but sometimes you have too much and not enough room on the roster and next year will be the same with the amount of comp picks we are likely to get so it does not make sense to trade for picks next year unless we can get a #1 or #2