Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Results 25 to 36 of 107
  1. #25
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    382

    Re: Alternative Names for the Ravens



    The Baltimore Ballers.




  2. #26
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    San Dimas, CA
    Posts
    6,066

    Re: Alternative Names for the Ravens

    Quote Originally Posted by BohBalmer View Post
    Blue Crabs
    With a big, blue crab on the back of the helmet, claws extending forward on each side, above the ear holes. Then, a uniform jersey with little crabs all over it, crawling from out of the pants.

    Ok, maybe not that last part.




  3. #27
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,178
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Alternative Names for the Ravens

    Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    Marauders was another cool name after the ships that the Baltimore ship yards built and one of the reasons the British attacked Baltimore.
    Hmm, I think it would be Baltimore Clipper you might be referring to -- the fast schooners that could outrace the British blockades. They did turn that into a good hockey team name.

    I'm pretty sure Marauders is a reference to the B-26 Marauder that was built at the Glen L Martin company plant in Middle River. That was the bomber that was famous for the glass bubble for the nose gunner. They were also famous for crashing at a horrific rate on take off before a senate committee hauled in the company and made them lengthen the wingspan. The Bombers name is basically a reference to the same plane.




  4. #28
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    11,880
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Alternative Names for the Ravens

    Anyone remember the Baltimore Hustlers/Claws of the defunct ABA?

    http://www.remembertheaba.com/baltimore-claws.html

    Hustlers would have been a cool name.

    Cobras was a cool name Glazer wanted to use. He still tried to come back here after getting the Bucs. When the guv was going to pull the stadium money off the table he was the second guy to jump at it but Moag didn't want him. He said the buck stops here not Baltimore after getting the team. Moag remembered that and wouldn't even take calls from him. He wanted Art.

    We almost got the Cardinals and t-shirts were printed saying Baltimore Cardinals but Bidwell would have been as bad as Irsay. He left St Louis for an even worse college stadium in Phoenix. Then like Glazer, he was the third owner who wanted to come here and Moag wouldn't take any calls from him. So both guys that dissed Bmore tried to jump at the stadium money when we threatened to pull it out. Sauerbrey would have pulled it out had she beaten Glendenning. She didn't care about a football team and one of the main reasons she lost to him.

    Mike Brown flirted his Bengals here too and we might have gotten those silly hats and the cheapest guy in town.

    We also had Baltimore Rams t-shirts when they flirted with us. They almost came here until St Louis went ahead and built them a dome. They were the first team that said you will be hearing from us immediately after the expansion teams were awarded.

    Local 7-11s had Baltimore Rams coffee mugs made-lol.
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 03-29-2013 at 12:31 PM.
    UBER RAVENS FAN AND HISTORIAN GURU.




  5. #29

    Re: Alternative Names for the Ravens

    CRABS! yes




  6. #30
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,178
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Alternative Names for the Ravens

    Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    ...owners flirting with Baltimore but either getting better deals or NFL pressure to not relocate here:

    *Cardinals
    Thanks, T!

    That reminds me that Bidwell was so far along in his quest to move the Cardinals from St. Louis to Baltimore that one Christmas I received a pair of red sweat pants with the rubbery-black letter, BALTIMORE CARDINALS, down the leg. I refused to wear them.

    Funny to think the Orioles are a bird-named team that was stolen from St. Louis -- the Browns -- and we nearly also stole their bird-named Cardinals (whom they had stolen from Chicago). And then we end up stealing instead a team named the Browns from Cleveland. Two stolen teams, both formerly named The Browns.

    Of course, before there was the Cleveland Browns, there was the Cleveland Rams. A team stolen from Cleveland... by St. Louis. (Technically the Cleveland Rams were never in the NFL. They were in the AFL and when they joined the NFL the league moved them to St. Louis to replace a team named the St. Louis Gunners. And you thought Baltimore Bullets was bad).




  7. #31
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    22,860
    Quote Originally Posted by PGCountyRaven85 View Post
    The Baltimore Barksdales!
    But then royalties would have to be paid to Avon. Marlo would get jealous. Slim Charles would boycott since it's a west side name.

    Just a giant mess.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  8. #32
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    11,880
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Alternative Names for the Ravens

    Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    Hmm, I think it would be Baltimore Clipper you might be referring to -- the fast schooners that could outrace the British blockades. They did turn that into a good hockey team name.

    I'm pretty sure Marauders is a reference to the B-26 Marauder that was built at the Glen L Martin company plant in Middle River. That was the bomber that was famous for the glass bubble for the nose gunner. They were also famous for crashing at a horrific rate on take off before a senate committee hauled in the company and made them lengthen the wingspan. The Bombers name is basically a reference to the same plane.
    Your're right about the clippers and the bomber name but that was after ships of the 1800s being built in the Baltimore Ship Yards. The famous Constellation docked in the harbor is one such ship and still afloat. The military knew England would attack us again and built those ships plus the Contitution up in Boston to combat them.

    They were like a 1-2 jab a boxer uses in the ring to stun his opponent to keep him off balance as the British ships were bigger and had more armor but we used speed. The Contitution and Constellation had great success vs them and helped preserve our country.

    Baltimore was in the middle of things back then and in WW2 with the bomber.

    Here's a pic of the B-26 Marauder bomber with it's D-D Invasion stripes - a pretty good plane
    built a Glenn L. Martin.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_B-26_Marauder
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 03-29-2013 at 12:53 PM.
    UBER RAVENS FAN AND HISTORIAN GURU.




  9. #33
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,178
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Alternative Names for the Ravens

    Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    Baltimore was in the middle of things back then and in WW2 with the bomber.
    You mean there was a time we actually built stuff in this country?




  10. #34
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    San Dimas, CA
    Posts
    6,066

    Re: Alternative Names for the Ravens

    Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    (Technically the Cleveland Rams were never in the NFL. They were in the AFL and when they joined the NFL the league moved them to St. Louis to replace a team named the St. Louis Gunners. And you thought Baltimore Bullets was bad).
    I don't think this is entirely correct.

    The Cleveland Rams replaced the St. Louis Gunners as a team in the NFL, but they didn't move to St. Louis. They did, however, move to Los Angeles sometime in the late 40s and became the Los Angeles Rams. Bob Irsay bought the LA Rams in 1972, then traded his franchise to Carroll Rosenbloom for the Baltimore Colts franchise. Eventually the Rams moved (in 1995) to St. Louis to fill the void left by Bidwell moving the Cardinals to Arizona.

    And how come none of those other franchise owners get the crap heaped on them that Modell did for moving the Browns to Baltimore? It's not as if it was unheard of to move an NFL franchise.




  11. #35
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,178
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Alternative Names for the Ravens

    Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post
    I don't think this is entirely correct.

    The Cleveland Rams replaced the St. Louis Gunners as a team in the NFL, but they didn't move to St. Louis. They did, however, move to Los Angeles sometime in the late 40s and became the Los Angeles Rams. Bob Irsay bought the LA Rams in 1972, then traded his franchise to Carroll Rosenbloom for the Baltimore Colts franchise. Eventually the Rams moved (in 1995) to St. Louis to fill the void left by Bidwell moving the Cardinals to Arizona.

    And how come none of those other franchise owners get the crap heaped on them that Modell did for moving the Browns to Baltimore? It's not as if it was unheard of to move an NFL franchise.
    I think you're right. I thought it went Cleveland - St. Louis -- LA -- St. Louis. But you're right, they didn't play in St. Louis. They essentially combined the Rams and Gunners and moved them to LA as the Rams.

    You also reminded me that the connections between St. Louis (Rams, Browns, Cardinals), LA (Rams, Colts), Cleveland (Rams, Browns) and Baltimore (Colts, Browns, Browns, Cardinals) in the way teams moved is a little freaky.




  12. #36
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    11,880
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Alternative Names for the Ravens

    Great point about the other others.

    Here's the history of the Constellation built here. It was also used by Stephen DeCatur vs and captured ships going after the pirates in our war vs Tripolli, Libya and their Barbary pirates. It captured an Algerian ship.

    Early ships of these types were also called Marauders. It was so successful that a second ship was built in Norfolk, Virginia.


    http://www.historicships.org/constellation.html

    The early Marauder battleships.


    http://www.eve-tribune.com/index.php?no=2_44&page=7
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 03-29-2013 at 01:10 PM.
    UBER RAVENS FAN AND HISTORIAN GURU.




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland