Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Re: Alternative Names for the Ravens

The Baltimore Barksdales!

Blog Entries

I thought my wife had the best suggestion: Lords.

Colours would have been the Maryland colours.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bacchys View Post
    I thought my wife had the best suggestion: Lords.

Colours would have been the Maryland colours.
    My college's team nickname was Lords.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Strange Bru View Post
    I remember Jim Speros, CFL Stallions owner, had given the new team the the rights to the name and uniforms if they wanted it. The team declined.
    That's right and that was a cool name and they had cool unis. I loved the Stallions but when Art first came here they were going to be the Browns until Cleveland sued him. Then when he changed the name the Sun wanted the Ravens name more than anyone and really pushed for it because of Edgard Allen Poe growing up here.

Speros eventually sold the logo to Denver and that's what they wear on their helmets with a slight variation. Speros' horse had 3 stars next to it - one each for Baltimore's days in each league Baltimore was in.

Marauders was another cool name after the ships that the Baltimore ship yards built and one of the reasons the British attacked Baltimore.

I thought I was the only fan in town that liked the Rhinos. Everyone cringed at the name. It was suggested by the NFL.

The Bombers would have been cool and we'd have those leather jackets with the white fur collars the WW 2 bomber pilots used to wear. My dad had one and wore it til the day he died and my mom wears it now. She's 88.

But the mayor was ahead of the times asking that we not use the name after the Oklahoma bombing. It would have been even worse on 9/11.

Bullets was a cool name for our basketball team but they moved to DC and they had to change the name when DC became the murder capital of the world due to drive-by shootings and what not.

Clippers was a cool name of our hockey team and so was the Skipjacks - more names from our ship yard legacy.
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 03-29-2013 at 12:48 PM.

I always like Baltimore Hons

Quote Originally Posted by goodandfast View Post
    Baltimore Bayonets, Baltimore Battalion, Baltimore Lancers, Baltimore Cavalry, Baltimore Bowmen (think of the Boh-men merchandising), Baltimore 95ers (interstate system haha), Baltimore Gaels, Baltimore Bannermen (Ode to the Star Spangled Banner), Baltimore Riot.
    Why leave out the Baltimore Fire - in honor of the 1904 Great Baltimore Fire.

Blog Entries

Jeez, now I'm glad we didn't prevail over Jacksonville at the time. Baltimore Rhinos? Yeccchh!

I could see being called the Baltimore Murderers if we were the Marauders after the Ray Atlanta incident. Ravens was the best available option for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    The 2009 Sun story cited is sort of a partial history. It's more interesting and complete to go back further in time to the 1993 expansion bid and look at the team names that were proposed then, and then follow that history through to the Browns move.
    Great recall! I had thought that I "knew it all", but you got me on the expansion race details.

How about let's look at all the name possibilities, outside of Stars, CFLs, Colts, and Stallions, which were woulda/coulda been due to their owners flirting with Baltimore but either getting better deals or NFL pressure to not relocate here:

• Cardinals
    • Patriots
    • Eagles
    • Redskins (a one or two year deal while their new stadium was to be built)
    • Buccaneers (Angelos came within a whisker in the Culverhouse estate sale)
    • Raiders
    • Rams
    • Bengals
    Last edited by Mista T; 03-29-2013 at 01:14 PM.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

The Baltimore Ballers.

Quote Originally Posted by BohBalmer View Post
    Blue Crabs
    With a big, blue crab on the back of the helmet, claws extending forward on each side, above the ear holes. Then, a uniform jersey with little crabs all over it, crawling from out of the pants.

Ok, maybe not that last part.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    Marauders was another cool name after the ships that the Baltimore ship yards built and one of the reasons the British attacked Baltimore.
    Hmm, I think it would be Baltimore Clipper you might be referring to -- the fast schooners that could outrace the British blockades. They did turn that into a good hockey team name.

I'm pretty sure Marauders is a reference to the B-26 Marauder that was built at the Glen L Martin company plant in Middle River. That was the bomber that was famous for the glass bubble for the nose gunner. They were also famous for crashing at a horrific rate on take off before a senate committee hauled in the company and made them lengthen the wingspan. The Bombers name is basically a reference to the same plane.

Blog Entries

Anyone remember the Baltimore Hustlers/Claws of the defunct ABA?

http://www.remembertheaba.com/baltimore-claws.html

Hustlers would have been a cool name.

Cobras was a cool name Glazer wanted to use. He still tried to come back here after getting the Bucs. When the guv was going to pull the stadium money off the table he was the second guy to jump at it but Moag didn't want him. He said the buck stops here not Baltimore after getting the team. Moag remembered that and wouldn't even take calls from him. He wanted Art.

We almost got the Cardinals and t-shirts were printed saying Baltimore Cardinals but Bidwell would have been as bad as Irsay. He left St Louis for an even worse college stadium in Phoenix. Then like Glazer, he was the third owner who wanted to come here and Moag wouldn't take any calls from him. So both guys that dissed Bmore tried to jump at the stadium money when we threatened to pull it out. Sauerbrey would have pulled it out had she beaten Glendenning. She didn't care about a football team and one of the main reasons she lost to him.

Mike Brown flirted his Bengals here too and we might have gotten those silly hats and the cheapest guy in town.

We also had Baltimore Rams t-shirts when they flirted with us. They almost came here until St Louis went ahead and built them a dome. They were the first team that said you will be hearing from us immediately after the expansion teams were awarded.

Local 7-11s had Baltimore Rams coffee mugs made-lol.
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 03-29-2013 at 01:31 PM.

Blog Entries

CRABS! yes

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    ...owners flirting with Baltimore but either getting better deals or NFL pressure to not relocate here:

*Cardinals
    Thanks, T!

That reminds me that Bidwell was so far along in his quest to move the Cardinals from St. Louis to Baltimore that one Christmas I received a pair of red sweat pants with the rubbery-black letter, BALTIMORE CARDINALS, down the leg. I refused to wear them.

Funny to think the Orioles are a bird-named team that was stolen from St. Louis -- the Browns -- and we nearly also stole their bird-named Cardinals (whom they had stolen from Chicago). And then we end up stealing instead a team named the Browns from Cleveland. Two stolen teams, both formerly named The Browns.

Of course, before there was the Cleveland Browns, there was the Cleveland Rams. A team stolen from Cleveland... by St. Louis. (Technically the Cleveland Rams were never in the NFL. They were in the AFL and when they joined the NFL the league moved them to St. Louis to replace a team named the St. Louis Gunners. And you thought Baltimore Bullets was bad).