Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Re: Alternative Names for the Ravens

Quote Originally Posted by akashicrecorder View Post
    Baltimore Americans? Sounds like a hyphenated ethnicity. :grbac: And yes, Bombers would've been awkward as hell after 9/11. I didn't mind Railers, though. Like Ravens, it speaks to the city's history/culture.
    Every time i see this suggested team name i think of
    "Baltimore Afro Americans". Newspaper in Baltimore for over a hundred years.

Bombers and Marauders is for aircraft made at Martins during WW II.

I like Baltimore Beermen best ;)
    Twenty years of Cheers.
    Thanks Baltimore Ravens Fans - You're the Best!

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    I get my history from David McCullough and others, not wiki like you.

What do capitals have anything to do with anything?!?!

The revolution did happen. It was fomented in New England.

Are you seriously telling us you know nothing about the revolution or the events leading up to it and the sum knowledge of your American revolutionary history is wrapped up in which cities served as the capital of the US?

I feel sad for ya, bro.
    I guess you're right, the Star Spangled Banner was written about the defense of Boston during the War of 1812. Even though the document may have been written in Boston, I guess Independence Hall was named after an event in Boston, not because the Declaration of Independence was the gathering spot for our forefathers to actually show up to sign the document. Which is much more defiant than writting the document hidden in homes. I'm pretty sure the Revolutionary War was fought all up and down the Eastern Seaboard, not just Boston. And lastly, it was the British Colonies prior to the Declaration of Independence, after that it became the United States of America. That being said Americans would have been appropriate for this area, and probably why Patriots was chosen for Boston.

And wiki is just a decent and quick place to get instant facts. Those ghost peppers are affecting more than your stomach lining. JK Houston .

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?!

Blog Entries

At least Bru looked up and actually read the wiki links which were spot-on.

What's sad is watching TV instead of reading his book. YOu can get a copy here
    for $9.99.

http://www.amazon.com/John-Adams-Dav.../dp/0743223136

Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    Denver didn't steal the logo. The cash strapped Speros sold it to them.
    I've heard that but never have seen any documentation on it. Not disputing it or anything. I ought to ask Jim who is a facebook friend.
    Baltimore Football Championships
    Ravens 2000, 2012
    Stallions 95 CFL
    Stars 85 USFL
    Colts 58, 59, 70

I've never heard the term Patriots associated with the American Revolutionaries south of New England. Nor have I heard it associated with the War of 1812.

================================================================================

Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    At least Bru looked up and actually read the wiki links which were spot-on.

What's sad is watching TV instead of reading his book. YOu can get a copy here
    for $9.99.

http://www.amazon.com/John-Adams-Dav.../dp/0743223136
    Sounds like my wife. My logic is: why go to all the trouble to read a book when I can watch it on TV. (Except for Michener's Chesapeake).

Alternatively, the John Adams mini-series was free on You Tube. I did. Also, same for the great History Channel mini-series on the Limies' attack on Baltimore called First Invasion. 199 years ago this September 12th. Betcha that 90% of Baltimore area school kids don't know what Defenders' Day means.:bag:

===========================================================================================

Quote Originally Posted by Strange Bru View Post
    I guess you're right, the Star Spangled Banner was written about the defense of Boston during the War of 1812. Even though the document may have been written in Boston, I guess Independence Hall was named after an event in Boston, not because the Declaration of Independence was the gathering spot for our forefathers to actually show up to sign the document. .
    You're joking, right? As in the Germans bombing Pearl Harbor. :grbac: If not joking, see my comment above about Defenders Day.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Blog Entries

T- A hundred years ago that's all people did ala Abraham Lincoln. Our generation was bad enough but today's people would rather play on their computers and watch DVDs and what not. Most people don't even know who he is even when watching HBO.

And how about James A. Mitchner's CHESAPEAKE. That was a mini-series from his great book. He spent years living in St Michaels researching it before he wrote the book. Even the GODFATHER was much better as a book than the movie. In the book they put the horse's head on a bed post with its blood seeping out. In the movie they just lay the head on the bed with the blood seeping out. Also, the book shows what the Godfather did to some plumbers that ripped him off-lol. That wasn't even in the movie.

SERPICO was another great movie with Pachino taken from an even greater book.

Delaware - I posted a link in this forum years ago but can't find it now. I'll keep looking.
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 03-31-2013 at 03:14 PM.

"Americans" would have been an odd name choice for a new team in a league where all of the teams are located in America and a game where the overwhelming majority of players are from the United States.

But it almost would have been worth it for some kind of awesome pre-game introduction routine to the Hulk Hogan "I am a real American" song.

I'm siding with HoustonRaven on this one. Boston Tea Party, Boston Massacre, Lexington & Concord, The Shot Heard 'Round the World (the original), Paul Revere, etc. . . .

There is a reason there is a holiday in Massachusetts (and Maine, which was once part of Massachusetts) called Patriots' Day.

Blog Entries

Thank God the fans had the wisdom to pick Ravens.

@ MistaT, of course I'm kidding. I may have smoked a lot of pot in High School, but we learn those facts pretty early in our schooling. Especially when you grow up between Philadelphia and Washington DC.

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post
    I'm siding with HoustonRaven on this one. Boston Tea Party, Boston Massacre, Lexington & Concord, The Shot Heard 'Round the World (the original), Paul Revere, etc. . . .

There is a reason there is a holiday in Massachusetts (and Maine, which was once part of Massachusetts) called Patriots' Day.
    Stuff you don't get on HBO.

Paul Revere wasn't the only rider. Nobody even knows about Israel Bissel who rode much further than Revere who only rode 19 miles to warn everyone.

Bissel rode 345 miles, and killing his horse in the process from riding it to death which is a long AMTRAK ride today, from Boston to Philly warning Americans that the war had begun, something unknown by most Americans but the media namely Henry Wadworth Longfellow who gave all the credit to Revere and after his death. After the ride Revere was later charged with treason, insubordination and cowardice and was placed under house arrest during court martial proceedings something else HBO missed.

http://www.sodahead.com/united-state...rn%20americans

So Americans would have been appropriate name.
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 04-01-2013 at 08:37 AM.