Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: Alternative Names for the Ravens

Quote Originally Posted by BohBalmer View Post
    Blue Crabs
    Or just the Baltimore Blues.

It would have been cool going from one color to another, plus what color do blue crabs turn once they've been steamed? Orange with the Old Bay being brown, the Cleveland Browns colors.

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?!

Good post Shas! I had forgotten what a clusterf**k that whole expansion mess was.

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    If it hadn't been Ravens, wouldn't have minded the Baltimore Mustangs. Very close to having the Colts name, assuming Stallions was also not available.
    I remember Jim Speros, CFL Stallions owner, had given the new team the the rights to the name and uniforms if they wanted it. The team declined.

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?!

The Baltimore Barksdales!

Blog Entries

I thought my wife had the best suggestion: Lords.

Colours would have been the Maryland colours.

Quote Originally Posted by bacchys View Post
    I thought my wife had the best suggestion: Lords.

Colours would have been the Maryland colours.
    My college's team nickname was Lords.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Strange Bru View Post
    I remember Jim Speros, CFL Stallions owner, had given the new team the the rights to the name and uniforms if they wanted it. The team declined.
    That's right and that was a cool name and they had cool unis. I loved the Stallions but when Art first came here they were going to be the Browns until Cleveland sued him. Then when he changed the name the Sun wanted the Ravens name more than anyone and really pushed for it because of Edgard Allen Poe growing up here.

Speros eventually sold the logo to Denver and that's what they wear on their helmets with a slight variation. Speros' horse had 3 stars next to it - one each for Baltimore's days in each league Baltimore was in.

Marauders was another cool name after the ships that the Baltimore ship yards built and one of the reasons the British attacked Baltimore.

I thought I was the only fan in town that liked the Rhinos. Everyone cringed at the name. It was suggested by the NFL.

The Bombers would have been cool and we'd have those leather jackets with the white fur collars the WW 2 bomber pilots used to wear. My dad had one and wore it til the day he died and my mom wears it now. She's 88.

But the mayor was ahead of the times asking that we not use the name after the Oklahoma bombing. It would have been even worse on 9/11.

Bullets was a cool name for our basketball team but they moved to DC and they had to change the name when DC became the murder capital of the world due to drive-by shootings and what not.

Clippers was a cool name of our hockey team and so was the Skipjacks - more names from our ship yard legacy.
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 03-29-2013 at 12:48 PM.

I always like Baltimore Hons

Quote Originally Posted by goodandfast View Post
    Baltimore Bayonets, Baltimore Battalion, Baltimore Lancers, Baltimore Cavalry, Baltimore Bowmen (think of the Boh-men merchandising), Baltimore 95ers (interstate system haha), Baltimore Gaels, Baltimore Bannermen (Ode to the Star Spangled Banner), Baltimore Riot.
    Why leave out the Baltimore Fire - in honor of the 1904 Great Baltimore Fire.

Blog Entries

Jeez, now I'm glad we didn't prevail over Jacksonville at the time. Baltimore Rhinos? Yeccchh!

I could see being called the Baltimore Murderers if we were the Marauders after the Ray Atlanta incident. Ravens was the best available option for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    The 2009 Sun story cited is sort of a partial history. It's more interesting and complete to go back further in time to the 1993 expansion bid and look at the team names that were proposed then, and then follow that history through to the Browns move.
    Great recall! I had thought that I "knew it all", but you got me on the expansion race details.

How about let's look at all the name possibilities, outside of Stars, CFLs, Colts, and Stallions, which were woulda/coulda been due to their owners flirting with Baltimore but either getting better deals or NFL pressure to not relocate here:

• Cardinals
    • Patriots
    • Eagles
    • Redskins (a one or two year deal while their new stadium was to be built)
    • Buccaneers (Angelos came within a whisker in the Culverhouse estate sale)
    • Raiders
    • Rams
    • Bengals
    Last edited by Mista T; 03-29-2013 at 01:14 PM.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).