Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Current players that need to prove themselves this coming season

Doss, Doss, and Doss. If he fails to improve, our passing attack might be in serious trouble.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Here's the thing though. For all the younger players it is an up or out deal. Maybe not up or out in one year but if they don't improve then, yeah the team wil look for better players. For instance take a look at ILB, a position that outsiders correctly see as an area that needs improvement. Now for McClellan and Bynes not to get passed by and let go, they needed to show something last year and the more they shoed the less likely the FO would think that they needed to draft a high draft pick. As it turned out McClellan definitely showed something to the point that even a high round draft pick might not start over him (and instead start over McClain possibly). Bynes showed promise but not enough to keep the team from drafting someone who will be ahead of him int he depth chart. McClain? He has to show this year that he's back to his 2011 form or he'll get passed by-cut next year.

Gradkowski had to show improvement last year on the practice field or else the team was gonna target a center fairly high. For him that final meaningless regular season game vs the Bengals and especially Geno Atkins, was huge-and as far as I can tell he passed that test with flying colors. So this draft look for center to be targeted in the late rounds if the team doesn't feel like one of their other guys can't slide over easily cause the center position is Gino's.

Cody obviously is on a do or die year. Smith pretty much is too but the team has high hopes for him obviously. Plus he moved ahead of Brown in the NE playoff game. For Chylke, who I know folks here (some) are high on, did he show enough last year to not have the team pick a 2nd day CB as BPA and thus knock him down in the depth chart? Getting passed by Smith is not a good thing for him. Jury's out on that one but it will be telling if the Ravens draft a CB by round 4.

Pitta obviously is playing for a big free agent bonanza. Dickson is playing for that at one extreme or more likely earning a decent second contract either with the Ravens or not.

Graham and Oher are like Pitta-a great year gives him a nice payday next winter-very possibly not with the Ravens though. With Oher in mind, the team will be looking hard at Jah Reid: if Oher leaves could Reid move into RT?

The WR's outside of Torrey: yeah they all have to step up if they want to stay around next year or even this year cause WR is a likely high draft pick and possibly the team might draft two of 'em.

One could go on but for a bunch of the players this year is setting up to be a pivotal one in terms of their future employment with the team and the league.

Blog Entries

You could list so many players like for most teams,

DL- Jones or McPhee (how good can they be)

Hall and Tyson (can they grow over a year to be impact players)

LB McCllellan Bynes (obvious are the NFL starters

CB Graham (was best CB on team after Webb went down...playing for big contract or just an average guy)
    Smith (can he stay healthy and focussed)
    Jackson, Brown, other Brown and Thompson (what are they?)

OL Reid( what's his deal, player or not?)
    Gradkowski (obvious)
    Harewood (what is deal, is he an NFL player or last on the bench guy)
    Oher---not going to count him. We know what we got, an average RT. If he hasnt done it by now
    he wont
    WR Reed (can he stay healthy? play the slot, the guy has moves and ability needs focus and chances)
    Doss (make or break year)
    Thompson ( lots of potential year of coaching, let's see what happens)

TE Dickson (his contract year...I think he has a good year, with Pitta moving to the slot in likelyhood) My breakout guy.

RB Peirce ( tons of ability, better RB than Rice, but can he stay healthy and take the next leap, he gets dinged up a lot in games is my concern, had same issue in college)

I'm sure I am in the minority, but I would like to think that David Reed could finally overcome his injuries and prove on the field that he's the receiver the coaching staff would rave about in practices.

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post

Oher, KO, Gradkowski, at their respective positions. I think KO proved himself last year, but we need to make sure in Year 2 he continues developing into the big time talent we expect him to be. Gradkowski needs to show he can truly replace what Birk gave us.....

Cody...for him, it's a matter of show he can play in the NFL.

Upshaw. We have Dumervil and Suggs, but you have a chance to make it so we have the luxury of possibly moving one of them next year or the year after.

Jimmy Smith for sure.
    Agree with you on Gradkowski, Cody, and Smith, but really surprised you have Upshaw and KO on your list.

Granted, you always want to see improvement from young players but I thought our two 2nd-rounders from last year played very well indeed. I really don't think they fall into the "prove it" category for 2013.

For me, Jah Reid and Ramon Harewood. These guys have hung around a long time. Reid always seems to be injured. Harewood has been around a long time and only saw action the beginning of the season at guard, which did not last long. They must be showing something to be kept around, and I realize they don't cost much. Maybe they're just being kept around for depth/insurance. But the juggling of the line and signing guys like Bobbie Williams would indicate to me that the confidence of the coaches/front office just isn't there.

Blog Entries

With the new DL/OLB's in Canty, Spears, Dumerville and Huff added plus 10+ draft picks and likely a few more bargain FA's added and UDFA's thier will be alot of camp battles this training camp and I think the Ravens FO likes that alot. It wont be easy to make the 53.

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    Doss, Doss, and Doss. If he fails to improve, our passing attack might be in serious trouble.
    I agree!! As of now, he's slated to take Boldin's role.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BPF2 View Post
    For me, Jah Reid and Ramon Harewood. These guys have hung around a long time. Reid always seems to be injured. Harewood has been around a long time and only saw action the beginning of the season at guard, which did not last long. They must be showing something to be kept around, and I realize they don't cost much. Maybe they're just being kept around for depth/insurance. But the juggling of the line and signing guys like Bobbie Williams would indicate to me that the confidence of the coaches/front office just isn't there.
    Yeah I agree with Reid. I forgot about him in my original post.

I don't have high hopes. He is like Gaither but without the talent.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    Just heard Tony L on 105.7.

He repeated the line I;ve seen him write about here.

Doss looks great in practice. But when the threat of contact is introduced...not so much. Which makes you wonder how he got by in college. Is he that scared of NFL players?