Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: We need a beast WR

I actually haven't been impressed with what I've seen from Mike Evans. Doesn't seem like much a route runner. Just a big body.

Blog Entries

Pitta is healthy now, let's see what these guys do in a dome next week. Throw it 60 times
    World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by PainServer52 View Post
    Da' Rick Rogers is a guy I was hoping we'd take a chance on in the draft. He ended up going undrafted, but the Colts give him a shot and he goes off for 100+ and 2 TD's. We still do need that true #1 receiver to put this offense on the next level, Torrey just isn't that guy.
    It's actually even better than that. The Bills picked up Rogers as a FA then put him on the practice squad. I can't remember if the Bills took him off their PS or if the Colts signed him off, but either way he started this season with the Bills.

Two chances to get him AFTER the draft and he goes for a buck and two.

Look, I understand the Ravens are looking for a particular type of player but we're going to have to understand that 99.9% of receivers are cocky jerks who want the ball every play. Torrey is really unique in that he is a great receiver who happens to be well grounded.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, Hi Im Ben may I have a drink please?
    ProFootballMock

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    Same here.

I know the guy had some off field issues, but it baffled me that we'd sign Rolando McClain, but not take a shot with him. We apparently weren't even interested as an UDFA.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Ozzie felt comfortable "enough" with the Alabama guy I guess, and probably had lots of insider info and the $$ was low risk. I think that all 31 other GMs saw the same risk with Rogers whatever it was...but it was too much for even a five-figure contract.

We landed a winner Marlon and he has a full healthy off-season ahead of him. Still, I'm with everyone else, we need to stop jacking around and grab a WR and TE. Same battle cry as last year.
    "On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the Draft

Settle down. John Harbaugh and Joe Flacco's Baltimore Ravens can beat any team, anywhere.

Having fun talking football and tech stuff on Twitter @BigPlayReceiver

Blog Entries

Flacco has had some big games in domes.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JMUpurkfool View Post
    I actually haven't been impressed with what I've seen from Mike Evans. Doesn't seem like much a route runner. Just a big body.
    He's no Andre Johnson or Larry Fitz, but Evans has improved quite a bit as a route runner. He's a former basketball player as well, so he uses his body really well and he does a nice job high-pointing passes.
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

-Arnold Schwarzenegger

Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com

I think there was just a big focus on grabbing guys that would buy in and not be a distraction this off season. There was at least a little real worry of what would happen when Ray left. Harbaugh maybe wanted to make sure he could control the locker room. Pollard's release more than Boldin's release smelled of this.

Then in the draft, they were pumped at how many "red star" character guys they picked up. I think that probably resulted in Rogers getting taken off their board because of his character issues. Definitely would have been more useful than their favorite pick John Simon. That pick never made sense to me unless they believe Suggs won't be on the team much longer.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    He's no Andre Johnson or Larry Fitz, but Evans has improved quite a bit as a route runner. He's a former basketball player as well, so he uses his body really well and he does a nice job high-pointing passes.
    I'd be happy to have him either way.

Hey Wicked, what do you think of Kelvin Benjamin? I haven't been I able to see much of him because of college and work, but from what I've see he looks to be a more athletic Mike Evans. I know he may return next year, but he is eligible for the draft. I feel like he has the most upside of any draft eligible WR.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by landshark52 View Post
    Hey Wicked, what do you think of Kelvin Benjamin? I haven't been I able to see much of him because of college and work, but from what I've see he looks to be a more athletic Mike Evans. I know he may return next year, but he is eligible for the draft. I feel like he has the most upside of any draft eligible WR.
    He is a physically imposing player at 6'5" 235lbs and he does have a lot of upside. I actually think he compares heavily to when Demaryius Thomas came out. Thomas was very raw coming out of Georgia Tech, but he was quite physically imposing. I don't believe that Benjamin is as fast as Thomas is/was, but I do think Benjamin has that kind of talent.

I have a 2nd round grade on him right now, but considering how many really good (and productive) receivers are coming out this year, I think he may return. Especially considering Jameis Winston will still be there and FSU could be in the top-5 next year as well.

I'd love to see Benjamin on the Ravens though. Benjamin, Torrey and Marlon would be pretty outstanding. The Ravens don't really have a high-flyer right now at receiver and even though Marlon is 6'5", they don't seem to run a lot of jump-ball passes to him (not sure why). So, Benjamin is not only tall, but he has super long arms and really nice body control in the air.

-Arnold Schwarzenegger

Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    He is a physically imposing player at 6'5" 235lbs and he does have a lot of upside. I actually think he compares heavily to when Demaryius Thomas came out. Thomas was very raw coming out of Georgia Tech, but he was quite physically imposing. I don't believe that Benjamin is as fast as Thomas is/was, but I do think Benjamin has that kind of talent.

I have a 2nd round grade on him right now, but considering how many really good (and productive) receivers are coming out this year, I think he may return. Especially considering Jameis Winston will still be there and FSU could be in the top-5 next year as well.

I'd love to see Benjamin on the Ravens though. Benjamin, Torrey and Marlon would be pretty outstanding. The Ravens don't really have a high-flyer right now at receiver and even though Marlon is 6'5", they don't seem to run a lot of jump-ball passes to him (not sure why). So, Benjamin is not only tall, but he has super long arms and really nice body control in the air.
    I agree that I think he likely stays...he's only a redshirt soph and this was his first year starting.

The only thing that may lead him to come out though is the fact that he will be turning 23 next year. Many times guys that old will declare simply because they don't feel they have the time as other younger players.

Turning 24 in 2015 will be looked at as a negative if he stays.

Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    I agree that I think he likely stays...he's only a redshirt soph and this was his first year starting.

The only thing that may lead him to come out though is the fact that he will be turning 23 next year. Many times guys that old will declare simply because they don't feel they have the time as other younger players.

Turning 24 in 2015 will be looked at as a negative if he stays.

Good point.

-Arnold Schwarzenegger

Blog Entries

The only team with a "beast receiver" that has a realistic shot to win the Super Bowl is Denver. It certainly helps when you have Peyton Manning throwing you the ball as well as Wes Welker, Eric Decker and Moreno. But the Ravens did beat them last year.

If a beast receiver is there when the Ravens pick in the 1st, then go for it. But don't trade any high picks to get one. Stick with best player on the board.

Edit - just realized this thread was started before the last draft. But my answer is still the same.

Quote Originally Posted by ERey View Post
    The only team with a "beast receiver" that has a realistic shot to win the Super Bowl is Denver. It certainly helps when you have Peyton Manning throwing you the ball as well as Wes Welker, Eric Decker and Moreno. But the Ravens did beat them last year.

If a beast receiver is there when the Ravens pick in the 1st, then go for it. But don't trade any high picks to get one. Stick with best player on the board.

Edit - just realized this thread was started before the last draft. But my answer is still the same.
    I would like to make my first post a rebuttal to this. I likely consider a lot more teams as legitimate super bowl contenders however, seeing as I cheer for a team that just won the super bowl when no one thought they had a shot.

Also, I'm not a fan of this 'beast' term. What this team needs is not a 'beast', they just need a receiver who consistently draws double coverage and can beat it on a semi-regular basis, a true No. 1. There are a lot of receivers who fit that criteria but not this mandatory 6'5 225lbs 'beast' thing everyone keeps mentioning.

New England- Rob Gronkowski. This guy is as much a No. 1 'receiving threat' as anyone in this league not named Megatron. Just look at how Tom played without him and how quickly that offense turned around with him. From an offensive standpoint I think they're in a bit of trouble now, although their stable of Running backs should carry the load.

Miami- No huge receiving threat, receiving core and O-Line has about the same amount of talent as Baltimore, but also ranked right there with the Ravens in passing offense (No. 18 vs 19)

Cincinatti- AJ Green.

Indianapolis- Reggie Wayne. Injured for the season and that offense has not looked the same since he went down.

Denver- Demaryious Thomas. And then a slew of No. 1 or 2 receivers behind him. Julius Thomas has emerged as maybe the no 3 or 4 tight end in the league. Welker is still quite consistent and Decker is a good no 2 on any team, let alone a 3. This team is just sick with weapons. Throw in a real nice stable of backs and linemen.

Kansas City- No true no. 1. Big running game. No. 17 in overall offense, 24 in passing.

Philadelphia- DeSean Jackson. Definitely not the 'beast' description but he consistently gets the ball and puts up good numbers. Still think he's a bit of a jackass however.

Dallas- Dez Bryant.

Detroit- Calvin Johnson.

Chicago- Brandon Marshall and an emerging Alshon Jeffery

Green Bay- Jordy Nelson, Randall Cobb. Now I wouldn't say that either of these players are bona fide no .1 receivers but as a no 1a and 1b option they make for a hard pair to cover, add in a nice no 3 in James Jones. Just having a receiver like one of these two across from Torrey would be nice.

New Orleans- Jimmy Graham. See Rob Gronkowski.

Carolina- No true no.1. No. 25 in total offense, no. 29 in passing.

Seattle- No true no. 1 although they do have a formidable weapon in Percy Harvin waiting in the wings. No. 11 in offense, no 21 in passing.

San Francisco- No True No. 1 although Vernon Davis often looks like a Gronk/Graham, and when he does that offense clicks. Also, Crabtree was emerging as a true no. 1 at the end of last season. Kaepernick has not looked like the same QB all year without him. Boldin has not been able to elevate the 49ers passing attack because he is simply a decent No. 2 possession guy for the past 5 years of his career. His inability to elevate the passing attack also gives credence to all those who said Joe has not ever had a No 1 receiver, despite the media always trotting Boldin out as just that. No 27 in total offense NO 32 in passing.

Arizona- Larry Fitzgerald.

Now to me this shows that while having a true No 1 is not necessary, it is more of the norm for the good teams than the exception. There is without a doubt more than one team with super bowl potential who has a no .1 or 'beast' receiver. And its also worth noting that almost all teams without one rank in the lower half of the NFL in passing, and typically in the lower half in total offense. The teams that survive without the no. 1 receiver all have a good to great defense along with a good to great running game or qb to offset their lack of passing prowess.

And now onto the Ravens.

Last year when Caldwell took over something seemed to wake up in Anquan Boldin and he decided he was going to be among the best receivers in the league right up until winning the Superbowl. When Joe had his legitimate No. 1 for those 6-8 games (can't remember off the top of my head) Joe was without a doubt among, if not the best QB in the NFL. He was complimented by a nice no 2 in Torrey , no. 3 in Jones, a very reliable and clutch TE in Pitta and a solid line.

Fast forward to present day, the line as we all know is in shambles. Beyond that we have a No. 1a-b type receiver in Torrey Smith, a player who is capable of huge plays but does not have the ability to beat double coverage. And unfortunately due to this lack of weapons behind him, Double Coverage is all Torrey gets. Jones is still a nice no. 3, Brown is a surprising UDFA Rookie who would fill in nice as a No 3-4 on most teams at this point in his young career. On top of it all, theres been no reliable TE all year (until now).

This teams no 1 need is Wide Receiver. More so than Center or Tackle. This team has nice pieces on the line and hopefully the holes can be filled with cheaper veterans. Most of the problems on the line have been due to scheme changes and bad coaching from what I've seen. This teams offense will never take off until they get a WR who is a threat opposite of Torrey, if only to drag some of the double coverage off.

And no, the WR does not have to be 6'5 225 lbs. Sammy Watkins or Marquise Lee would be fine options if we were lucky enough to have a shot at one of the two.
    Last edited by JonAB; 12-09-2013 at 06:09 PM. Reason: Double Quote

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JonAB View Post
    I would like to make my first post a rebuttal to this. I likely consider a lot more teams as legitimate super bowl contenders however, seeing as I cheer for a team that just won the super bowl when no one thought they had a shot.

Also, I'm not a fan of this 'beast' term. What this team needs is not a 'beast', they just need a receiver who consistently draws double coverage and can beat it on a semi-regular basis, a true No. 1. There are a lot of receivers who fit that criteria but not this mandatory 6'5 225lbs 'beast' thing everyone keeps mentioning.

New England- Rob Gronkowski. This guy is as much a No. 1 'receiving threat' as anyone in this league not named Megatron. Just look at how Tom played without him and how quickly that offense turned around with him. From an offensive standpoint I think they're in a bit of trouble now, although their stable of Running backs should carry the load.

Miami- No huge receiving threat, receiving core and O-Line has about the same amount of talent as Baltimore, but also ranked right there with the Ravens in passing offense (No. 18 vs 19)

Cincinatti- AJ Green.

Indianapolis- Reggie Wayne. Injured for the season and that offense has not looked the same since he went down.

Denver- Demaryious Thomas. And then a slew of No. 1 or 2 receivers behind him. Julius Thomas has emerged as maybe the no 3 or 4 tight end in the league. Welker is still quite consistent and Decker is a good no 2 on any team, let alone a 3. This team is just sick with weapons. Throw in a real nice stable of backs and linemen.

Kansas City- No true no. 1. Big running game. No. 17 in overall offense, 24 in passing.

Philadelphia- DeSean Jackson. Definitely not the 'beast' description but he consistently gets the ball and puts up good numbers. Still think he's a bit of a jackass however.

Dallas- Dez Bryant.

Detroit- Calvin Johnson.

Chicago- Brandon Marshall and an emerging Alshon Jeffery

Green Bay- Jordy Nelson, Randall Cobb. Now I wouldn't say that either of these players are bona fide no .1 receivers but as a no 1a and 1b option they make for a hard pair to cover, add in a nice no 3 in James Jones. Just having a receiver like one of these two across from Torrey would be nice.

New Orleans- Jimmy Graham. See Rob Gronkowski.

Carolina- No true no.1. No. 25 in total offense, no. 29 in passing.

Seattle- No true no. 1 although they do have a formidable weapon in Percy Harvin waiting in the wings. No. 11 in offense, no 21 in passing.

San Francisco- No True No. 1 although Vernon Davis often looks like a Gronk/Graham, and when he does that offense clicks. Also, Crabtree was emerging as a true no. 1 at the end of last season. Kaepernick has not looked like the same QB all year without him. Boldin has not been able to elevate the 49ers passing attack because he is simply a decent No. 2 possession guy for the past 5 years of his career. His inability to elevate the passing attack also gives credence to all those who said Joe has not ever had a No 1 receiver, despite the media always trotting Boldin out as just that. No 27 in total offense NO 32 in passing.

Arizona- Larry Fitzgerald.

Now to me this shows that while having a true No 1 is not necessary, it is more of the norm for the good teams than the exception. There is without a doubt more than one team with super bowl potential who has a no .1 or 'beast' receiver. And its also worth noting that almost all teams without one rank in the lower half of the NFL in passing, and typically in the lower half in total offense. The teams that survive without the no. 1 receiver all have a good to great defense along with a good to great running game or qb to offset their lack of passing prowess.

And now onto the Ravens.

Last year when Caldwell took over something seemed to wake up in Anquan Boldin and he decided he was going to be among the best receivers in the league right up until winning the Superbowl. When Joe had his legitimate No. 1 for those 6-8 games (can't remember off the top of my head) Joe was without a doubt among, if not the best QB in the NFL. He was complimented by a nice no 2 in Torrey , no. 3 in Jones, a very reliable and clutch TE in Pitta and a solid line.

Fast forward to present day, the line as we all know is in shambles. Beyond that we have a No. 1a-b type receiver in Torrey Smith, a player who is capable of huge plays but does not have the ability to beat double coverage. And unfortunately due to this lack of weapons behind him, Double Coverage is all Torrey gets. Jones is still a nice no. 3, Brown is a surprising UDFA Rookie who would fill in nice as a No 3-4 on most teams at this point in his young career. On top of it all, theres been no reliable TE all year (until now).

This teams no 1 need is Wide Receiver. More so than Center or Tackle. This team has nice pieces on the line and hopefully the holes can be filled with cheaper veterans. Most of the problems on the line have been due to scheme changes and bad coaching from what I've seen. This teams offense will never take off until they get a WR who is a threat opposite of Torrey, if only to drag some of the double coverage off.

And no, the WR does not have to be 6'5 225 lbs. Sammy Watkins or Marquise Lee would be fine options if we were lucky enough to have a shot at one of the two.
    Good post. I agree.

Personally, I tend to favor bigger receivers because you can't coach height. However, you can't coach speed either. I'd love to have an Antonio Brown type of player opposite of Torrey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

-Arnold Schwarzenegger