Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 151
  1. #31
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    over by the dental floss bush
    Posts
    17,938
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: We need a beast WR



    Quote Originally Posted by bt12483 View Post
    No it isn't but you have to field competitive and competent WRs too. After Torrey is their any WR you really trust on this team?
    There's a lot of guys in the fold that have to get their shot to make it or break it. I'm sure they'll bring in more competition too. Personally I just don't agree with overpaying like the Falcons did. Too big a cost, especially for the Ravens who are almost always at the bottom of the round
    World Domination 3 Points at a Time!




  2. #32
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    6,146
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: We need a beast WR

    Quote Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
    LOL!! Most appropriate example.
    Every player in the draft is "unproven". It is all a crap shoot. You can't live life scared because you F'd up before. You trust your gut and hope your gut is right more than it is wrong. So far Ozzie has shown that.




  3. #33
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    6,146
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: We need a beast WR

    Quote Originally Posted by pslholder96 View Post
    True. While they all had great receivers the last 6 superbowl winners starting with the 2007 Giants didn't have any receiver of the "beast" mode.
    I would say Nicks qualifies for "beast" mode when healthy. He was a beast in the playoffs in 2011 SB winning season.




  4. #34
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    6,146
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: We need a beast WR

    Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    There's a lot of guys in the fold that have to get their shot to make it or break it. I'm sure they'll bring in more competition too. Personally I just don't agree with overpaying like the Falcons did. Too big a cost, especially for the Ravens who are almost always at the bottom of the round
    I wouldn't want to overpay for anyone in this draft because none of these guys are as much of a lock as Julio was. But I wouldn't be opposed to being aggressive if an opportunity presents itself.




  5. #35

    Re: We need a beast WR

    Quote Originally Posted by bt12483 View Post
    I would say Nicks qualifies for "beast" mode when healthy. He was a beast in the playoffs in 2011 SB winning season.
    Really? I guess this term is very subjective. Beast Mode to me are guys like Calvin Johnson, Andre Johnson and Larry Fitzgerald who are consistently in beast mode. Hakeen Nicks is no where near their level.




  6. #36
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    over by the dental floss bush
    Posts
    17,938
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: We need a beast WR

    Quote Originally Posted by bt12483 View Post
    I wouldn't want to overpay for anyone in this draft because none of these guys are as much of a lock as Julio was. But I wouldn't be opposed to being aggressive if an opportunity presents itself.
    With a full offseason to modify the offense and routes, Caldwell may be able to simplify some things and get a couple of these guys into the action quickly. We have to find out if Streeter, Doss, Williams, etc can ball. It usually takes a couple years for a WR to make the transition from college. There are some big targets in this years draft (PS Austin is not one of them)
    World Domination 3 Points at a Time!




  7. #37
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    6,146
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: We need a beast WR

    Quote Originally Posted by pslholder96 View Post
    Really? I guess this term is very subjective. Beast Mode to me are guys like Calvin Johnson, Andre Johnson and Larry Fitzgerald who are consistently in beast mode. Hakeen Nicks is no where near their level.
    No Nicks wouldn't be at the absolute highest on the list. And yes it is subjective. But I think he qualifies as one of the WRs that can take a game over. Problem is his health has limited him.




  8. #38
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    6,146
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: We need a beast WR

    Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    With a full offseason to modify the offense and routes, Caldwell may be able to simplify some things and get a couple of these guys into the action quickly. We have to find out if Streeter, Doss, Williams, etc can ball. It usually takes a couple years for a WR to make the transition from college. There are some big targets in this years draft (PS Austin is not one of them)
    Doss and Torrey were drafted the same year. 2 rounds apart. Doss has never shined. He has a longer leash than these other guys, but to me this is a make or break year for him.

    I give LaQuan Williams a 0.05% chance of becoming a starting WR in the NFL. Likewise, Streeter is a 6th rd project that has ridiculous height and speed but beyond that no one knows.

    I just think the longer you wait for the caliber of WRs we currently have on roster to develop the more you waste your $120M QB in his prime.




  9. #39
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Eastern Shore
    Posts
    2,559

    Re: We need a beast WR

    Quote Originally Posted by bt12483 View Post
    Every player in the draft is "unproven". It is all a crap shoot. You can't live life scared because you F'd up before. You trust your gut and hope your gut is right more than it is wrong. So far Ozzie has shown that.
    I agree but there are certain things you can do to minimize the damage. Like NOT spending future 1st round picks on guys who had mixed scouting reports coming out of college. i., e., Boller. I think Ozzie learned a lesson with that one.
    "Screw it, let's ride"!




  10. #40
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Baltimore
    Posts
    1,262

    Re: We need a beast WR

    Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    None of these teams have won the SB yet the Ravens have. Maybe a 'beast' WR is not a requirement
    /End thread

    If the premise of the OP is that we NEED a 'beast' WR, I couldn't disagree more. We won a Super Bowl without one, and so have many other teams.

    How many Super Bowls have Calvin Johnson, Randy Moss, TO, Julio Jones, Demaryius Thomas, and Dez Bryant won?

    You NEED a franchise QB, which we have. After that, their are many formulas for success. Having a 'beast' WR would be nice, but I think elite players at other positions are just as important.

    Quote Originally Posted by bt12483 View Post
    No it isn't but you have to field competitive and competent WRs too. After Torrey is there any WR you really trust on this team?
    I don't think anyone disagrees that we could upgrade a bit, but the idea that we need a Julio Jones type player to accomplish that is a little extreme. Granted, I'd love to have someone like that, but when you start talking about giving up multiple picks or future 1st rounders I lose interest.




  11. #41
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    over by the dental floss bush
    Posts
    17,938
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: We need a beast WR

    who do you want them to target? Patterson, Justin Hunter, Da'Rick Rodgers, Cobi Hamilton...
    World Domination 3 Points at a Time!




  12. #42
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    6,146
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: We need a beast WR

    Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    who do you want them to target? Patterson, Justin Hunter, Da'Rick Rodgers...
    One of these 3 would be fine. I think 6'2" is the minimum height I would like to see. At least 215 lbs. 4.5 speed or lower. Explosiveness. Fight for the ball.




  13. #43
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    over by the dental floss bush
    Posts
    17,938
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: We need a beast WR

    Quote Originally Posted by bt12483 View Post
    One of these 3 would be fine. I think 6'2" is the minimum height I would like to see. At least 215 lbs. 4.5 speed or lower. Explosiveness. Fight for the ball.
    there are quite a few with the size; not sure if they also have that speed
    World Domination 3 Points at a Time!




  14. #44
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,901
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: We need a beast WR

    Moving around too much would be a shame in this draft. There's not a lot of great talent on paper but there are a TON of kids that flashed and look like promising projects. Especially at WR.

    I personally say use as many of those 12 picks on the best players available and get them in the door and in to camp to give them all good looks and see which ones turn out to be stars...




  15. #45
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    31,832
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: We need a beast WR

    Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    there are quite a few with the size; not sure if they also have that speed
    Marcus Davis from Va Tech has big time speed and size (6'4" 225-230lbs with ~4.45 speed).

    He is kind of a project though. Not a very good route runner.
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger



    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland